Pitot/AoA 28V

Askov

I’m planning on installing Dynon avionics in my Sling using a 28volt system.
It seems that Dynon heated pitot/AOA only tolerates 14V.
Is the Garmin equivalent compatible with Dynon HDX?

jakej

Why not just use a DC to DC converter (24/12v) has worked for me. just get one with suitable capacity for the pitot.

Askov

You are absolutely right. But I was trying to keep the installation as simple and light as possible with fewer fail points.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Although the tip has a more simple shape (ours endeavors to have a pitot port that is very insensitive to AOA, and a pitot port that is very sensitive, was wind tunnel tested, etc), the basic principle of operation looks to be similar to our AOA/Pitot. We haven't tested it against our calibration routine, but it would probably work ok.

Askov

Although the tip has a more simple shape (ours endeavors to have a pitot port that is very insensitive to AOA, and a pitot port that is very sensitive, was wind tunnel tested, etc), the basic principle of operation looks to be similar to our AOA/Pitot. We haven't tested it against our calibration routine, but it would probably work ok.
Thank you for reply and information:)
Since most of your products run on both 14V and 28V why does such an essential component as the pitot/AoA not?
Are you planning on making a 28V version?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Originally it was because the vast majority of experimental aircraft and LSA are 12V systems. We don't currently have plans to introduce a 28V version.