Problem with AOA_BAR  on EFIS D100

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Well, we're a bit stumped. Try changing IAS to knots. Does that change anything?

an.tarducci

Today I changing IAS to knots. After have put the plane in level flight at 100 knots, I press "AOACAL", I maintained 100 knots with small fluctuations of pitch, then i press "STALL" and i take a Stall with NO-Flaps and NO-Motor, when the timer is "0", i press "STALL" and i take a STALL with full Flaps and NO-Motor. after i put the plane in level flight at 100 knots for one minuts and i press "Finish".
You see the result in the movie attached.
Now what do I do?

Andrea

Attachments

• IMG_0106_3.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 137

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We are running out of ideas. Try the calibration with just one stall, full flaps, and no motor.

This is the second EFIS-D100 that you have tried, is that correct? Also, are you using both the pitot and AOA lines from the Dynon pitot? Or only the AOA line?

an.tarducci

Yes, this is the second D100!
I use both lines exclusively for EFIS (from Dynon's Pitot: Pitot and AOA) and from old pitot: Static pressure.
The analog instruments use the line of old pitot tube
after will test this new calibration with a single stall.
Andrea

an.tarducci

Today I calibrated the AOA with a single stall, but the result is bad! :'(

1° Calibration: at level flight with 100 knots, press "AOACal", one minutes with small pitch oscillations, press "stall" (at 100 knots) and i make one stall (full flaps, no motor) at about 30 knots, after "T" is ended I accelerated at 100 knots on level flight and after i press "finish".
2° Calibration: at level flight with 100 knots, press "AOACal", one minutes with small pitch oscillations, I slowed at 50 knots, I press "stall" (at 50 knots) and i make one stall (full flaps, no motor) at about 30 knots, after "T" is ended I accelerated at 100 knots on level flight and after i press "finish".
3° Calibration: at level flight with 100 knots, press "AOACal", one minutes without pitch oscillations, I slowed at 55 knots, I press "stall" (at 55 knots) and i make one stall (full flaps, no motor)at about 30 knots, after "T" is ended I accelerated at 100 knots on level flight and after i press "finish".

Now What i do??? :-[

Andrea

skysailor

I do not have the manuals for the D100 but the procedure seems wrong. Is he supposed to wait until accelerating back to 100 knots before pressing finish? It just seems the exact sequence of events might be a problem here.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Good thought - make sure that you're ending the stall, before the timer expires, with the aircraft recovered to a reasonable airspeed. It doesn't need to be the full cruise, but the timer should not be expiring very near the stall airspeed.

an.tarducci

Today I did calibrate "AOA" with close attention to speed and time "T" of the stall.
In the attached movie, you see different flight situations and one stall after the new calibration.
At low speed the AOA works, but at hight speed is very BAD!!
What i do now??
Andrea

Attachments

• IMG_0109_1.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 173

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I am afraid we are running out of ideas. On your last calibration, when T = 0, what was your IAS. One more modification to try on your calibration: for your cruise portion (before you hit stall), try not doing any oscillations.

Just fly the aircraft at fast cruise, then press stall, then do one stall with flaps down and power off, then finish.

an.tarducci

I made all tests. ( I ran six AOA calibrations in all conditions)
The results are always the same: BAD
Velocity at T = 0 is about 45 knots
I tried to change even slightly the angle of the pitot tube, but the results are the sames!!
............... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea

DBRV10

I see this thread has run three pages so maybe these ideas are not worthy of considering or may have been already.

Are you 100% sure the AOA and pitot lines are going to the correct port in the D100?

Try running complete brand new lines from the pitot probe to the device. Maybe there is a problem in your wing/fuselage you can not see.

Just wild guesses from me! :)

an.tarducci

- The pitot lines are NEW!!
- I checked several times if the lines are connect in correct port.
- I verify if the pitot line are airtight.
.... :'( :'(

Andrea

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
45 knots at T=0 sounds too low. You should stall AND recover before the timer reaches zero.

an.tarducci

at what speed I press "stall"??
new your procedure:

1° high speed without oscillations (1 minute; 100 knots)
2° reduce speed at ?? knots (60 knots ??)
3° press "Stall"
4° motor: Idle; Flaps: Full
5° make a stall
6° speed at ?? knots before T=0
7° high speed (100 knots) without oscillations (1 minute)
8° press "Finish"

--> must I inverted 3° and 4° ???
--> 7° is necessary??

this procedure ... is correct???

If "yes", tomorrow I test this procedure!

Andrea

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Try this slightly modified sequence, if you can do the complete stall and recover in 45 seconds:

1: High speed without oscillations (1 minute; 100 knots)
2: Slow to 80 knots
3: press "Stall"
4: motor: Idle; Flaps: Full
5: make a stall
6: speed at >=80 knots before T=0
7: high speed (100 knots) without oscillations (1 minute)

an.tarducci

This video shows the result of the new calibration procedure.
The EFIS is now insensitive to stall!
This procedure does not work

Attachments

• IMG_0135.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 130

an.tarducci

Viewing the movie, I noticed that for speeds below 50 knots, the Efis indicates a much lower speed analog anemometer. (EFIS: 25 knots = Analog Anemometer: 32 knots ). The Efis Use AOA Pitot; The Analog Anemometer (and all istruments) use the old Pitot (under wing Pitot).
Andrea

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I have to say we are out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is that we are missing something about the way you are calibrating in the communication process. Any chance you can have someone take a video while you go through the calibration process?