Questions for the experts

Sparky51

I love flying!
Is the GPS 2020 antenna required in the system if you have a WAAS GPS signal coming from a Garmin 430W?

For those that have dual comm radios, will the SV intercom work for both radios if there is a switch for selecting which is being used for transmitting? I have read it will and it won't suuport two comm radios.

Has anyone done the upgrade from the SV-470 to the new SV-472 receiver through Dynon and received a credit towards the new unit?

Thanks for the help!

B.

timfwalsh01

B, I use my GNS430W for 2020 Xpndr (SV-XPNDR-261) compliance, and to be IFR legal. I do not have the GPS 2020, but I have the GPS 250 (non-WAAS version).

I did upgrade from the SV-470 to the SV-472, works great.

Hope this helps Tim

Sparky51

I love flying!
B, I use my GNS430W for 2020 Xpndr (SV-XPNDR-261) compliance, and to be IFR legal. I do not have the GPS 2020, but I have the GPS 250 (non-WAAS version).

I did upgrade from the SV-470 to the SV-472, works great.

Hope this helps Tim
Thanks for the info Tim. I was hoping I wouldn't need the 2020 antenna if I use the 430W. I will keep my eyes peeled for a 250 antenna.

Thanks,
Brant

airguy

Thanks for the info Tim. I was hoping I wouldn't need the 2020 antenna if I use the 430W. I will keep my eyes peeled for a 250 antenna.

Thanks,
Brant

Keep in mind that without the 2020 antenna, if you lose your 430W you also lose you ADSB-out and have to stay clear of the airspace where ADSB is required. The incremental cost of the antenna is small for the backup it provides.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you're IFR and/or want general system redundancy, you definitely want a backup GPS source. That can be a SV-GPS-250 though - which is less expensive - since you're using the ARINC-based position source as your ADS-B Out compliant source. Note that the -250 IS a WAAS GPS, it just doesn't have the high integrity magic to be a valid ADS-B Out position source. (WAAS is really a misnomer in aviation. Most GPS chipsets are WAAS these days, including the ones in your phones. It's really the integrity monitoring + certification that allows position sources to be used in ADS-B out and/or IFR navigators).

Raymo

I love aviation!
Yes, you can use a toggle switch (MTA-106D) to select which radio will transmit with the Dynon intercom. An ON-ON SPDT will do the job. You just need to wire the MIC wire through the switch. Use the individual radio volume as needed.

I did the trade-in option but not sure it is still active. The 472 has worked great and, with the latest release of software (15.4), Foreflight shows traffic (if selected in FF) and WX (also if selected) plus the new items, lightning and cloud tops.

Last edited: