Re: SkyView software 15.2.0 PIREP?

Raymo

I love aviation!
It is a minor revision so I wouldn't expect any issues. That said, no reason to upgrade if none of the fixes or improvements are needed for your system.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Wow, still no manuals! Providing manuals is a good thing! It makes you appear like a professional company and not someone working out of their garage.

I used to promote Dynon Skyview locally, but I think I'm going to stop. At this point, it's embarrassing. Ugh, turn to Garmin now?....

n456ts

And if anyone here is going to AirVenture and Dynon still doesn't update their manuals in full, please go to their booth and grill them. It might be the only way to get an answer.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Wow, still no manuals!  Providing manuals is a good thing!  It makes you appear like a professional company and not someone working out of their garage.

I used to promote Dynon Skyview locally, but I think I'm going to stop.  At this point, it's embarrassing.  Ugh, turn to Garmin now?....

What exactly are you looking for in an update? The only thing I am aware of that is missing are the new steps for pitot static testing, for which those steps have been mentioned here on the forum and pretty much self explanatory.

Maybe I've missed something very important, though...

rvator51

It is a minor revision so I wouldn't expect any issues. That said, no reason to upgrade if none of the fixes or improvements are needed for your system.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php

I think N456ts was referring to the fact that the update for 15.1 (released in March 2017 and lots of changes including new ADS-B and yaw damper) hasnt been published yet. Seems like a long time to delay the manual. Maybe they are working on next major release hopefully announced during Oskkosh and they will it all together with manual.

n456ts

Maybe I've missed something very important, though...
Yea, you've missed a whole lot. Go look at the changes. I count around 40. Some are small and some are big.
But let's assume what you suggested is the only change. Just the one. It still needs to be fully documented!!! You shouldn't be searching an internet forum to learn a procedure.

Today, you have major feature changes/additions with zero documentation. Better effort is expected. Any effort will do.

mmarien

Murray M.
I used to promote Dynon Skyview locally, but I think I'm going to stop.  At this point, it's embarrassing.  Ugh, turn to Garmin now?....
I think I read somewhere on this forum that it is a HR problem and that they are working on it. The technical writer in the Dilbert comics is a little temperamental also.  :) :)

I'm going to stick with the Dynon products documented or not. Although I have some Garmin products in my plane that work for me.

sunfish

I love flying!
Dynon, your non response to issues regarding the manuals to me sounds ominous.

By ominous, i mean business failure or takeover, or both. i have only installed the ADAHRS and pilot tube, but all further work is suspended until I know you are still going to be around.

i guess i can order a new blank instrument panel, some garmin gear and start again.

airguy

Dynon - I've got your gear in my panel and I'm not changing, but your failure to issue the documentation for 15.1, and now 15.2, does not look good.

Just look at what is going on with Navworx right now for a good example of what happens to a company that will not talk to their customers or answer questions about the product.

You are actively discouraging further customers by failing to document the updates. This is very disappointing considering your company history and the quality of the actual product.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first, we're not going anywhere. We've hired a handful of people in the last couple months alone. We're a sub-100 person company, for reference). Our presense at Oshkosh will be expanded from the last couple years, which itself was an expansion over our previous indoor-only booth.

But we agree that we're not meeting your expecations here. We try to be communicative enough without getting too "inside baseball". It's a balance, and sometimes we don't nail it - especially for you guys (the forum contains - by far - the highest concentration of passionate Dynon pilots).

Historically, we've actually had some smaller "point releases" where we've occasionally deferred documenting smaller features until the next bigger feature release. These go relatively smoothly because we don't draw attention to them with notices on our site about upcoming documentation, and we try to limit those features that we defer to those that affect a relatively small population or that we think are otherwise fairly self-documenting. A litmus test is "if we're getting a lot of calls/inquiries about ANY feature that we can answer better in documentation, it's not adequately documented". That really applies to features that have already been documented too. Anyway, so with the latest point releases, we made sure to have the -472 documented, because it affects all installations going forward. But we deferred on some other more incremental updates.

Two things conspired to to throw off our normal rhythm, where we publish with software releases. First, we've changed the way we develop and deploy software. This is more about team organization, not actual code, and I'll leave this here. And second, we went through some both expected and unexpcted personell changes in our support team that left us a bit light in some areas. Documentation production happens between a few different areas at Dynon, and right now those resources are helping our new support staff get up to speed and help them to continue to provide the expert support we're known for. Incidentally, our technical support is now 100% staffed by pilots. Both of our newer hires are A&Ps, and one is an IA too. We think you'll like talking to both Garrett and Rick.

Anyway, that's not an excuse, but that's what's going on. I don't have a date to promise on the documentation availability, but it's a priority for us.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sunfish - no takeovers or business failures are coming anytime soon. But, if you're looking to go in another direction, get in touch with us at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com and we'll see what we can do to help.

sunfish

I love flying!
thank you Dynon! i'm not going anywhere else now that i know what is happening.your support has been superb for me after i klutzed up and reversed polarity on my system.

the autopilot servos are installed and i am about to start wiring it all up permanently.

n456ts

I don't have a date to promise on the documentation availability, but it's a priority for us.

Any documentation yet? I understand it's considered a priority...