Red Background on Map

cfi1513840

I have dual Skyviews and have been flying with 13.0.3.3233 since August. I have had no problems until this morning. While climbing out, the background on both map displays went red and stayed that way. I continued on to about 4500' with no change in the displays. I tried cycling power on the displays, but it didn't help. After landing, the displays were still red. I tried two more times, with landings and power recycling, but the behavior was identical. The display backgrounds turned red when passing through about 2700'.

RVDan

I love flying!
Was there a TFR active? These display with a red tinted layer and with ADS-B in will dispaly when you climb high enough to pick up a ground station.

Carl_Froehlich

Same problem yesterday on two different planes flying south of the Washington DC ADIZ. Screen shot attached.

Attachments

• 11-28-15.png
    11-28-15.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 132

Schorsch

Yes, These are large TFRs along the Eastern seaboard for inop TAS and ADSB areas due to military ops - Stratus displayed details, why not Skyview?

swatson999

Have to get the cursor over the TFR area, either via touchscreen or scrolling, but info has always been displayed for me when I do that (for any airspace, Class B, C, TFR, MOA, etc.)

There's a *TFR* for inoperative TAS (did you mean TIS?) or ADS-B???

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
This also showed up on my SV Saturday flying from Delaware to Atlanta. But why is this not showing on other flight systems for example Garmin Pilot or AOPA's flight planning? Is there a Notam? This to me looks like a software bug, it seems unlikely a TFR would cover most of the east coast.

Schorsch

It DID also show up as a TFR on my Stratus/foreflight, and in there I was able to tell it was for ADSB AND TIS Traffic interference... But in Skyview I couldn't tell the same from INFO page.
Possibly it was a pop-up TFR that we picked up with the 470 receiver, but not published previously, so not in briefings/Germin?

swatson999

Question I have is...why is a notice of ADS-B and/or TIS interference a *TFR*? Shouldn't it just be a NOTAM? Surely we aren't restricted from flying in an area where ADS-B or TIS is unavailable?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's really a NOTAM that we suspect is broadcast over the ADS-B system because it has to do with ADS-B availability. However, it shouldn't be depicted as a TFR (there is no flight restriction).

But to really analyze this and get a fix in, we really need to see a diagnostic log from someone who is on the east coast and is experiencing this. So if you're still seeing it (you should until the 18th, I think), after you land, please follow the directions on this page to extract and upload the data we need to see what you're seeing.

Carolina

I love flying!
I am also having the problem.  These are not TFRs, but FDC NOTAMs for military activity (radar jamming flights) off the east coast.  They do not expire until Dec 18th.  So if you fly in that area (southeast coast and a couple hundred miles inland) and use SkyView w/Dynon ADSB, you have to turn off TFR notifications in the Maps Menu (not too comforting).  I know tech support is looking into the issue. I spoke to the AOPA govt folks, and they say these NOTAMs are fairly standard, and they have no reports of other manufacturers ADSB showing the false TFRs.

Schorsch

Because per above other manufacturers like Garmin showed nothing! Prefer the addtl info from Skyview even tough it initially looked like an insurmountable TFR

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just to make it clear, this IS showing up on other ADS-B systems.

"It DID also show up as a TFR on my Stratus/foreflight"

The people that said it didn't show up on AOPA's Flight Planning tool or Garmin Pilot are getting their data over the internet, not ADS-B.

dorante

I love flying!
I flew today in Fredericksburg, VA.  The TFR showed up.  Earlier this week I provided a diagnostic file to Dynon for the flight on 28 Nov where I first observed this.  I can make another file download for the flight today if needed.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes - please DO send us a Dynon Diagnostic File of this - same method as before.

I flew today in Fredericksburg, VA.  The TFR showed up.  Earlier this week I provided a diagnostic file to Dynon for the flight on 28 Nov where I first observed this.  I can make another file download for the flight today if needed.

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
Dynon,
While we're on the subject of TFRs, I fly within the Washington warning zone often and having that area such a dark red is a real hindrance. Being able to adjust the intensity or at least reduce the intensity of the RED would be very helpful. As it is now I have to turn TFRs off when I'm in that area. The warning zone (the area outside of the DC SFRA) really does not need to be highlighted anyway.

Carl_Froehlich

Dynon,
While we're on the subject of TFRs, I fly within the Washington warning zone often and having that area such a dark red is a real hindrance.   Being able to adjust the intensity or at least reduce the intensity of the RED would be very helpful.  As it is now I have to turn TFRs off when I'm in that area.  The warning zone (the area outside of the DC SFRA) really does not need to be highlighted anyway.       

Read the thread on "DC SFRA" then download and install the " TFR_ACTIVE_LIGHT.dfg" file. This fixes the problem for us that have to fly near such nonsense.

Carl

Tigermoth

I love flying!
Dynon,
While we're on the subject of TFRs, I fly within the Washington warning zone often and having that area such a dark red is a real hindrance.   Being able to adjust the intensity or at least reduce the intensity of the RED would be very helpful.  As it is now I have to turn TFRs off when I'm in that area.  The warning zone (the area outside of the DC SFRA) really does not need to be highlighted anyway.       
Dynon,
Whilst delving into the SkyView manuals to investigate the issue I'm having with the 'red TFR screen' I came across this.

You can adjust the level of opaqueness of the TFR display on SkyView:-

MAP MENU > MAP ITEMS > TFR OPACITY

Hope this helps.

Tigermoth

I love flying!
Dynon Tech Support,

Can you clarify if the 'red screen issue' discussed here is:-

- a 'software glitch' by Dynon that will be addressed in the next SV update?

- an unusual action by military etc which causes our SkyViews to display as if we'e in a huge TFR?
In which case is the correct response for us to reduce the TFR opacity or even switch off TFRs until Dec 18th?
Where does it say how to 'switch off' TFRs on Skyvew?

- if Dynon has known about this issue since around November 24th why have you not at least put out some information to SkyView users to both alert them to the issue and how best to react to it? For example adjusting the opacity or even switching TFRs off temporarily.
  Why is Tech Support saying to just wait till the next SV firmware cycle sometime in January?