Remapping radio's APT button to APT->COM

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
I find the radio's APT button useless in an integrated SkyView system. (For those who don't know, pushing it once lets you browse nearest airports on the radio itself and pushing it twice lets you use the rotary knob to "type" the ICAO of a nearby airport.) I would like to be able to configure it to instead do the APT->COM function of the EFIS, where the airport would be whichever is selected (whichever comes up when you click INFO).

Right now to do this within a flight plan you have to push the FPL or INFO button, then APT->COM, then EXIT. It would be much more streamlined if I could do all that with a single button-push on the radio itself.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Not sure I follow you correctly but I use the radio APT button every time I fly to select the airport and COM frequency I want. Once you have the airport in the window, push the right knob in, then select the frequency you want (TWR, GND, etc).

Much easier than using the EFIS to send it over unless it is far away and won't be in the NRST list.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
My use case is I have a flight plan entered, and after I pass an airport (waypoint in the plan) and Dynon automatically selects the next airport/waypoint, I may want to tune the radio to that airport. Obviously it would be within 75 miles by the time I need to think about the radio, but it could be #10 in the list of nearest airports.

But I'm not talking about permanently changing the button behavior; I'm talking about being able to configure it to behave the way I described. Alternatively, it can be a press-and-hold function since currently there is none.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I see what you are saying now. You want the list to filter on your flight plan, or at least just the airports in front of you.

I would like this functionality too. I suggest adding it to the "Suggestions" forum.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
Didn't know there was a suggestions forum; I'll re-post there. But to clarify, the behavior I want would have nothing to do with flight plans; it would merely tune the radio to the active airport, if any. In other words, the airport you see when you push the INFO button.