Request for 5% Wide EMS Screen!!!!

I guess if you want to make a judgement based on an analog display about "how bad is it", you'd have to switch, but I think one could easily see a RED item and make a very quick determination about what to do.

Perhaps the normal EMS screen could pop up automatically if anything in the 5%  strip goes into either yellow or red?

Not to bat the hornets nest, but what about the EMS running across the bottom of the screen?
 
I'm planning to purchase either a single SkyView touch 10" system or a Garmin G3X system.

At Oshkosh, I found the Garmin screen less distracting and easier to scan because of the smaller EIS area.

It's one of the few reasons I might choose the Garmin.
 
Like CSCameron's idea, yellow or red limits shifting the display from 5% back to 20%. That would certainly get your attention and give a better view of what is happening.
 
Like CSCameron's idea, yellow or red limits shifting the display from 5% back to 20%.  That would certainly get your attention and give a better view of what is happening.

Until you have a sensor go wonky, like the EGT sensors tend to do, for example...then you'd either have it stuck 20% all the time, or flipping back and forth from5 to 20 to 5 over and over in rapid succession.
 
Just fix your wonky sensor. The EGT sensors in the last year seem to have resolved the problem I experienced with bad crimped connections. Right now I have two repaired with soldered connections, two new sensors--no problems in the last year.
 
Just fix your wonky sensor.  The EGT sensors in the last year seem to have resolved the problem I experienced with bad crimped connections.  Right now I have two repaired with soldered connections, two new sensors--no problems in the last year.

Well, clearly that's the fix for that problem *after landing*. I was thinking about having the screen flipping and changing uncommanded *during flight*, until I can get down and fix it. Which might be many hours in the future.
 
Just fix your wonky sensor.  The EGT sensors in the last year seem to have resolved the problem I experienced with bad crimped connections.  Right now I have two repaired with soldered connections, two new sensors--no problems in the last year.

Well, clearly that's the fix for that problem *after landing*.  I was thinking about having the screen flipping and changing uncommanded *during flight*, until I can get down and fix it.  Which might be many hours in the future.

NO automatic popping back and forth.

Just have it go one way, if something goes into the yellow or red (user definable), then the 20% screen pops up (and stays) letting you know you have a problem. If the sensor drops back into the green, the 20% screen stays until YOU manually reset it to the 5% screen again.
 
If Dynon decides to do the 5% EMS +1, I'd vote for keeping the PFD at 40% and only make the map bigger.
 
As I have always said, this is for those that want it. There is no compulsion here.

Personally, I would not want the screen to automatically configure itself in a warning situation, it would add another layer of distraction, possibly at a time you need distraction least.

If you look at Bill's illustration, you will see that it includes turning one of the soft keys into a warning button, if you get a warning you simply hit that one, when convenient to you, and it should pop up the EMS in what ever configuration you prefer 20%, 50% or full screen.

With a 5% symbol turning yellow or green, you do know what to look for and the arcs and bars are not really going to tell you a lot more that you can do something about. They will simply confirm what you already know, something is out of limits!

In fact, with the values displayed, you should have spotted that trend anyway.

If the fuel pressure is dropping and you get a yellow 5% button from that, you are going to turn on the backup pump before you mess around looking at the 20% screen.

Let's be honest, not many of us actually read engine instrument numbers all the time, we look to see that the values are ''in the green'', the 5% screen simply puts that information in one convenient location.
 
+1, have screen poppin and flip-floppin a user preference option or not at all if it makes the 5% screen option implement sooner. Would be nice for my single screen system.
 
I would like to see the 5% EMS, 55% map, 40% PFD version. If it is a question of $ to Dynon, charge for the upgrade....
 
While I like getting free software upgrades with new capabilities, as Dynon saturates the market, there needs to be a different business model to keep them in business making these kind of continuous improvements. Asking the user community to make a modest contribution for these enhancements / upgrades would not only provide a revenue stream to sustain the company's R&D efforts, but would also provide a great mechanism for the user community to prioritize their upgrade requests.
 
I was most interested in this as well, but found a better answer. With a small addition to the skyview, you can have your engine data transmitted to your phone or tablet, and take it off the primary display! This is better for my use, the alerts are still going to come thru the headphone.
 
I was most interested in this as well, but found a better answer.  With a small addition to the skyview, you can have your engine data transmitted to your phone or tablet, and take it off the primary display!  This is better for my use, the alerts are still going to come thru the headphone.

OK, I'll bite. What small addition are you referring to?
 
It was discussed on this forum recently, here is a link to the web site: https://skyviewassist.wordpress.com/
I was most interested in this as well, but found a better answer.  With a small addition to the skyview, you can have your engine data transmitted to your phone or tablet, and take it off the primary display!  This is better for my use, the alerts are still going to come thru the headphone.

OK, I'll bite. What small addition are you referring to?
 
Thanks, I figured it was Skyview Assist. Last I knew it was was set up only for Lyc engines and wasn't, at least then, configurable. Looked real interesting to me too but doesn't help with my Rotax, at least not yet.
 
was set up only for Lyc engines and wasn't, at least then, configurable.
This is true.  However we (Peter, my development partner, and I) are working on a user-configurable scheme.  At a minimum it will allow selecting a configuration file to match the Dynon DFG files.  Progress is slow but coming along.

What we really need is support for outputting EMS data over WiFi as Louis has noted (thanks, Louis!).  The current scheme uses Bluetooth which works OK but is difficult for most users to install.  WiFi would be a piece-of-cake using the Dynon WiFi adapter. 

I realize this is not a good time to ask Dynon for anything but if EMS and other data output over WiFi is useful to you, let them know.

--
Joe
 
was set up only for Lyc engines and wasn't, at least then, configurable.
This is true.  However we (Peter, my development partner, and I) are working on a user-configurable scheme.  At a minimum it will allow selecting a configuration file to match the Dynon DFG files.  Progress is slow but coming along.
Sorry, didn't mean that comment to be negative, only informative. This looks to be a great tool to use in conjunction Skyview. You'd previously mentioned the possibility of configuration. I've developed a lot of SW in my time and know you don't turn out a quality product overnight ...
 
Back
Top