Screen issue - Dynon Skyview Touch

felix1973

Hello,

recently I started seeing colored stripes on my Dynon Skyview Touch on the copilot side when it was supposed to boot up:

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.33.11 PM.png

After a few moments, sometimes minutes, the boot process starts. I am using an USB memory stick which holds maps and airport diagrams. This is my copilot screen and it does not have a backup battery. I am running the newest firmware on both pilot and copilot screens.

I am aware that other people also had this problem but did not get a clear understanding what exactly caused this.

1) Is this always a hardware issue or could it be caused by the interaction with the USB memory stick (software)?
2) And if it is a hardware issue, what exactly is wrong with the device?
3) Since many people seem to have had this issue, is this something that is caused by a design flaw?
4) Did Dynon always charge people for the repair or (assuming being out of warranty)?

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance!
Felix

RV8JD

I also had the "Rainbow Screen of Death" on my SkyView Touch (in October 2018). It is a hardware issue, as a couple of components were replaced in mine, including the SSD. Nothing to do with a USB memory stick.

Although mine was about 6 months past the official 3 year warranty period (warranty is from the date of retail sale in my case, rather than first in-service use), Dynon waived the flat repair fee. I live close to Dynon and was able to drop it off and pick it up a few days later. I appreciated that Dynon covered the repair cost and the quick turnaround for the repair. The unit has been trouble free since the repair.

Some threads in case you haven't seen them:

Last edited:

Grizzly

Bonjour,

No problem with the SV-D1000-T in front of the left seat but I see the same problem with the SV-D1000-T infront the right seat.
The backup battery is fully charged, with or without a USB key, when I power it up after several days without having used it. The D1000 boots several times by displaying it's vertical lines, then after several minutes ends up working.

Today it seems practically impossible that it boots in a reasonable time so I turn it off during the flight.

It is out of warranty.
What would be the cost of a repair ?
Isn't that a hidden defect that should be repaired free of charge ?

Can I fix it myself ? I am an electronics engineer, I have the equipment to replace through-hole or surface-mounted electronic components. I might even replace the 'Satadom' if Dynon can supply me with a new one.

felix1973

Strange that so many people have the same problem with the same device in similar configuration (problem at the copilot side). Could someone from Dynon step in and explain what Dynon’s current understanding on this issue is? Also, maybe a customer oriented solution might be prudent so that devices out of warranty can be fixed without heavily burdening customers.

Grizzly

Indeed in addition to the previous links given by RV8JD have can add this one that I just read :

There are not many components in the Skyview. Probably the one affected by this failure is the main PCB. Perhaps an exchange with a functional one could be a quick repair solution within the reach of any electronic technician.

Raymo

I love aviation!
@Grizzly
I just had my right screen repaired for the same reason (it progressively got worse). Shipping from east coast US to west coast was about $50. Flat repair cost was $450. It came back looking brand new (had some paint chipped off the front bezel when it went in).

RV8JD

Strange that so many people have the same problem with the same device in similar configuration (problem at the copilot side).
Mine failed and I only have one screen (SV-D1000T) in my RV-8. I don't think the location on the copilot side is a factor in this particular failure.

Here is a link to Dynon's out of warranty repair rates (2nd tab). As "Raymo" mentioned, $450 for this repair.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Thank you for your answers. I will use the return of the product out of warranty if I have no other choice.
I have 'a little' electronics experience and this problem, as it often is, looks like an internal power problem. I think during the boot sequence the internal devices are turned on one by one. If the power supply is weak, it can collapse when activating a device and restart a boot in a loop. Over time, depending on when this happens, the solid-state drive (there is a SATADOM D150SH-L in the Skyview) can get corrupted. But the problem may simply be a component that drifts in its characteristics. Typically capacitors, relay contacts, fuses, polyswitches, etc. are the main classic causes. Paid $ 450 + fees and waiting times when these components cost a few dollars excluding SSD (~ $ 70) so it makes me a little "belly-ache" to deal with a quality problem at Dynon.
Since this problem is common to many devices, I would like Dynon to do a best offer of support, in France this is a 'hidden defect' and in this case there is no warranty limitation.
What is Dynon's official word for this particular issue ?

RV8JD

What is Dynon's official word for this particular issue ?
Contact Dynon support and discuss it with them directly. That would be you best option for a reply. Although Dynon does monitor the Forums, they ask that folks contact them directly for support.

Grizzly

I received my two Skyview repaired. The cited cause is an internal component failure independent of the installation. Dynon did the repairs properly and took charge of the work. For this repair I only paid the shipping costs. It is always unpleasant to have these quality problems, for the manufacturer as well as for the customer, fortunately, when the manufacturer takes his responsibilities in hand it makes one more satisfied customer. Thanks to Dynon for assuming this failure even though the products are out of warranty. 👍
IMG_20201211_112204.jpg

Last edited: