Serial Converter and Windows 10

vonbaron1

I love flying!
Can someone tell me if the serial converter sold by Dynon is Windows 10 compatible?  The converter I have now will not and it did with Windows 7.  It will not see the D10A at all and the device manager shows a yellow triangle as well.  No driver update will fix it so far.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, it is. But there are very possibly drivers available for whatever you have currently. You might try uninstalling the drivers entirely and see if that helps. You can also try downloading the drivers from our site to see if they help.

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
With Windoze 10 is there the potential to get the wrong drivers, mixing up 32 and 64 bit ones, as there is with 7?

Just a thought!

Raymo

I love aviation!
Robski,

Yes, you want to ensure the driver matches the OS architecture for 32/64 bit. I suspect the hardware from different manufactures is similar enough that a driver from another MFG (or Dynon) could work on the adapter you already have.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
Update; I have the serial converter from Dynon now and it did take away the yellow triangle in the device manager but it still will not connect to the D10A. Uninstalled the driver and downloaded the 64bit driven, which my system is and still not seeing it. I did reboot to make sure the drivers were applied. If I look at the Dynon, there is a ERR by the Autopilot for both servo's. In the setup, 4 devices are found and there status is active.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
In addition, I see that non of the Windows Drivers on the Dynon site say that they are for Windows 10. The 32 or 64 bit choice is spelled out.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
I did some more testing trying today and also notice that I still get the same error of "Error Connecting" but if you notice on the attached picture, it is seeing the instrument. Have exhausted my idea's.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
The image.

Attachments

• Error_Connecting.jpg
    Error_Connecting.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 163

vonbaron1

I love flying!
Of the three drivers I see on the Dynon down loads, which is the correct one for Windows 10? Next step being I am getting no results here is to pull the instrument and send it back to see what the problem is.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
This is almost definitely not a problem with the instrument (although we're happy to take a look). The right driver depends on whether your OS is 32 bits or 64 bits, which depends on your computer. If the computer is relatively new, it's almost definitely 64 bit. In windows 10, go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > ABOUT to get a readout to be sure.

All of that said, a quick test seems to show that just plugging the cable into windows 10 MAY (I'll need to check this next week against an actual EFIS yield the right drivers from what windows has built-in. So what you might try doing is going to device manager with the adapter plugged in, then finding the USB/Serial converter under ports (it will probably say prolific something or other), then go to properties, then the driver tab, then uninstall the driver entirely. Then unplug the cable, reboot, plug it back in, and check in device manager that there aren't any errors.

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
Are all the "In the know" people on this form on vacation??   :mad:
Most people 'in the know' avoid Windows 10 like the plague!  ::)

A word to the wise: sticking an angry face on a post is a sure way to make sure people stay 'on vacation'!

Not bothering to say whether you've tried what the nice chaps at Dynon Support have suggested (Reply #12) doesn't help your case either!

vonbaron1

I love flying!
As far as Windows 10 goes, its the way of the future and have not seen a post as to not use it. They offer the converter which did make that work in the device manager. All the above things that were ask to tried, I did with feed back. As last resort, will just have to send it back to get things straightened out. It may all being with the drivers but have tried that many ways.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sorry about that. The forum is designed to be a community - one that we provide and take part in - but as a support mechanism, it's not staffed by our technical support team. We try to get to everything here within a day or so, nonetheless. If you do need more timely and personalized support, I encourage you to use our first tier phone (425-402-0433) and email (support at dynonavionics dot com) support channels.

I can confirm that windows does not need any additional drivers beyond the ones that come with it. Just to be extra sure, I took a laptop here that had never been connected to any USB-to-serial converter, connected it to the converter you had, and it "just worked". Has this exact instrument ever connected to a computer? I think your initial post implies yes.

Also, have you uninstalled the drivers from the properties>drives tab, and not just through the right click>uninstall? That's important. Also, uninstall, using the add/remove programs, any of the driver package that you downloaded from the web.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
I did some more testing today after reviewing your comments.  I took a old PC desktop that had Windows 10 on it and reformatted it back to Windows 7, then hooked up the serial converter and let it install a driver as you did.  Results were the same as before as it found the comm port but then states it cannot find the serial port.  Went back to the laptop with 10 on it and uninstalled drivers via properties and also in the uninstall programs.  Rebooted and and let Windows find a driver as you stated but it came back with the same error.
I have updated before with this same laptop and have never had a issue.
I do see 2 ERR's on the screen for the AP that appeared after I tried the update the very first time and did not have that there before. I have had this D10/D10A since it was announced at Oshkosh many years back.  Works great otherwise.

vonbaron1

I love flying!
Just for the record and a answer of the problem that other may run into when using the D10A and Windows 10.  One does need to use the Dynon's serial converter so the operating system will find it in 10. In my case, when using a Garmin Aera 560, a wire needs to be opened up when using the AP while upgrading and then reconnected.  In my case I checked and had the wire disconnected but out of last case idea's, I pulled the 560 out of the holding bracket also.  Presto, update went in with out any problems. End of battle this time around.