SkyView 11 Software Released

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We've just released the first part of the products we announced at AirVenture Oskhosh 2014. SkyView 11 software is now available for download for all SkyView systems.

SkyView 11 includes support for the 8.33 kHz COM Radio and Video Input Adapter for SkyView, both of which will begin shipping shortly. Other features include a wider field of view option for synthetic vision, BARO syncing to ADS-B weather, color-coded airports by weather status on the Map, Vne that can be expressed TAS instead of IAS, the ability to declutter airspaces that aren't a factor for your current altitude, and more.

Additionally, we've updated all of the terrain databases available for SkyView. This includes all of the very low, low, and regional high resolution databases. Customers should update all 3. These updated databases feature general improvements overall, but one particular area where some may see a difference is in the depiction of water and land boundaries in low-lying areas. These databases do not require version 11 and can be used on all SkyView systems.

As always, updated documentation is available, with red-line versions that capture the changes since version 10. There’s a full set of release notes that detail every feature, improvement, and bug fix.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have added Virtual DME, but not Virtual VOR. If you have a NAV radio connected that sends us the ident of the VOR, we will show you the GPS derived DME to that point.

Only the SL-30 and the GTR radios send this data. Unfortunately, the GNS and GTN devices do not.

Wal_Thompson

No really - I totally love flying!
Hi! Is it possible to get an MD5SUM or SHA1 for the files to confirm a good download? Thanks...

My md5 checksum is:
537f7024fea74dc28d457d6d05b6b879 SkyView-11.0-dynon_update.dup

My sha1 checksum is:
199a1b41e217c7f811ea7beed022b531963a14e9 SkyView-11.0-dynon_update.dup

K

KRviator

Dynon Avionics said:
BARO will now sync to either the nearest METAR (when ADS-B is available in-flight), to 29.92 (when at/above 18k feet or no ADS-B on board), or to make the altimeter match GPS altitude (when on the ground).

Any chance of making this changeover altitude user-selectable? Not everyone has an 18,000' transition altitude... :p

EDIT: Whazzup with the BBCode quote syntax not working?!?

jc2da

+1 on the virtual DME! woohoo! reporting position based on a VOR will be so much more convenient now.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Dynon Avionics said:
BARO will now sync to either the nearest METAR (when ADS-B is available in-flight), to 29.92 (when at/above 18k feet or no ADS-B on board), or to make the altimeter match GPS altitude (when on the ground).

Any chance of making this changeover altitude user-selectable? Not everyone has an 18,000' transition altitude... :p

If you're not in the US, you won't have ADS-B on board. So you'll get the ground-syncing to GPS altitude, but you'll always sync to 29.92 in the air. So I think this one solves itself.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi! Is it possible to get an MD5SUM or SHA1 for the files to confirm a good download? Thanks...

My md5 checksum is:
537f7024fea74dc28d457d6d05b6b879  SkyView-11.0-dynon_update.dup

My sha1 checksum is:
199a1b41e217c7f811ea7beed022b531963a14e9  SkyView-11.0-dynon_update.dup

Just ran yours and they're a match for our files. SkyView also validates the packages when you try to load them, so you can't have missing bits and cause trouble that way.

K

KRviator

Dynon Avionics said:

If you're not in the US, you won't have ADS-B on board. So you'll get the ground-syncing to GPS altitude, but you'll always sync to 29.92 in the air. So I think this one solves itself.
The manual suggests that if you don't have ADS-B and climb above FL180, the system will automatically reset the baro setting to 29.92 from whatever area QNH we had manually selected.

Just because we don't have uplinked METAR's doesn't mean this feature couldnt be used worldwide, for example, the transition altitude in Australia is 10,000', an altitude that is easily achieved in an RV, and the auto-changeover would be nice.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We do not automatically switch to 29.92 at 18K' (or any altitude). You must manually press the button to trigger this. If you think the manual suggests this, please point us to the page so we can fix that.

As a pilot that doesn't hit 18K' in the USA, I've always had a question- if you are at 17,000' indicated using the ground baro reference, but 29.92 would put you at 18,500' indicated, which one do you use? Seems like you'd have this whole group of people between 16K and 20K feet on all different baro settings. Seems even worse when you put that dividing line at 10,000'.

This is the whole reason we don't do auto switching. If we did it for you, the edges get all funny since they actually change the very thing you are using to decide. Plus, it would make for a heck of a ride if you have the AP on and ask it to hold 10K' ;)

K

KRviator

We do not automatically switch to 29.92 at 18K' (or any altitude). You must manually press the button to trigger this. If you think the manual suggests this, please point us to the page so we can fix that.

As a pilot that doesn't hit 18K' in the USA, I've always had a question- if you are at 17,000' indicated using the ground baro reference, but 29.92 would put you at 18,500' indicated, which one do you use? Seems like you'd have this whole group of people between 16K and 20K feet on all different baro settings. Seems even worse when you put that dividing line at 10,000'.

This is the whole reason we don't do auto switching. If we did it for you, the edges get all funny since they actually change the very thing you are using to decide. Plus, it would make for a heck of a ride if you have the AP on and ask it to hold 10K' ;)
AAhh, that clears things up..

The info I appear to have misinterpreted was from the Release Notes which I originally quoted:

BARO will now sync to either the nearest METAR (when ADS-B is available in-flight), to 29.92 (when at/above 18k feet or no ADS-B on board), or to make the altimeter match GPS altitude (when on the ground)

I've read syncing as it doing it automatically, which isn't the case. I'll go get a spoon for that humble pie now.... :-[

Still, it would be nice to have the sync-to-29.92 altitude variable based on your country's transition altitude - even if it doesn't do it automatically! :D

To answer your ponderings vis-à-vis Baro settings, our AIP covers a transition layer, that may be upto 2500' thick based on atmospheric pressure that day, to provide separation assurance between QNH-users and 1013 flyers. But do you think I can find the reference for that?

cmarbach

Here's your answer: At certain barometer settings, FL 180 (18,000 feet) is NOT available. You stated the reason- there would be a conflict between traffic at 29.92 and traffic using the real barometer setting. ATC (you have to be IFR above 18,000) will not allow IFR traffic at FL180 when this occurs.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
KRV,
I do see how the release notes could be read as automatic- we'll tweak that.

In flight, without ADS-B, the sync is always to 29.92. We can't sync to GPS in air, since non-standard atmospheres (read: every single day) will cause a discrepancy between the GPS altitude and the indicated altitude. Thus, for people without ADS-B, any time you press it you will get 29.92. So you can press it at 10K, 18K, or whenever to do this. And technically, this is the same behavior that has always been in SkyView with the baro "sync" feature- all we changed was for people with ADS-B.

Andrew912

I love flying!
Has anyone recieved a ADAHRS Fail' Internal Error: Multiple sensors message and red cross after updating to V11 firmware.
I updated my RV12 Skyview last night through the Vans under pannel USB port. Initially after the update when the screen normal display returned all see ok, then after normal shut down and restart the ADAHRS error message appeared.
Maybe coincidental it happened immediatly after the update?

preid

Did you check to see that the servos and ADAHRS were showing that they were updated under network?Almost sounds like the firmware did not upgrade successfully. However I see in the user guide page 12-5 that support needs to be contacted for this error.

Andrew912

I love flying!
Reidvaitor
Both servo's and the ADAHRS showed up in the calibration status window as Status: "Ready" (I don't recall noticing if the version had updated though. I will check version number this evening.) Also thanks for the heads up on the new version of the pilot user guide. I'll contact Dynon for further advice.
Andrew

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That's definitely not normal. Please get in touch with our technical support staff at 425-402-0433 or at support at dynonavionics dot com.

Andrew912

I love flying!
Guys, thanks for the prompt follow up to my email to Dynon support. Unit has returned to normal operation now.
:)

Edwardoc

I love flying!
I just flew with the new V-11 release and it worked as advertised and it was great. The GPS generated DME is a great addition. Have two questions:
My local airport has an air show coming up and a big yellow circle showed up around the airport indicating an upcoming TFR. It obscured anything under the circle on the map. I think I can turn the TFR's off but couldn't find it in the guide. Is there a way to toggle this function on/off so you can see what is under the circle?
Second is a request to someday have DME readout in the standby Nav display box if your using the SL-30? In that way could have primary NAV display be the GPS and in the Standby window, the DME to whatever VOR is selected in NAV 2 which is the VOR for me. Still a great upgrade.
RV-8/Greeley CO :cool: