SkyView Backup Battery Bypass

scrollF4

As I have mentioned before in my USB Stick thread, on rare occasion, my HDX screens can get hung up during the booting process. When this happens, at initial powerup the big blue HDX screen appears and fades away. But then, instead of going to all the software script showing things booting, the blue HDX screen reappears and stays. At this point, you can't even shut the screen down with the #1 key. It's running on the backup battery, even if I shut down the aircraft master. The only way to get it to shut down is to get behind the panel and unplug the backup battery.

My solution: Install a battery bypass switch for each screen. This solution takes me back to the rear cockpit of my beloved F-4 Phantom. The "pit" featured a large over-center safety toggle switch for disconnecting the ship's battery from charging in the event of thermal runaway. Follow me now: If the switch is down, the bypass is disengaged, meaning the battery is actually connected to charging. By raising the switch, the bypass is ON, meaning you have disconnected the battery from charging.

I bought two similar over-center safety toggles from Stein and connected them to the battery wiring for each backup battery and screen. If the HDX gets hung up in the boot-up (like they did this week with my two brand new USB sticks), I shut the aircraft master off and cycle these two panel-mounted backup battery bypass switches, thus allowing the screens to shut down. You can mount the switches any way you want, just as long as you understand their function. The HDX boot hang-up is irritating, but this solution is elegant (if I say so myself).

For your consideration.

jdubner

> this solution is elegant (if I say so myself).

Dynon has an elegant solution too.

From page 3-26 of the SkyView HDX Pilot’s User Guide –Revision E: push switches 1+2+5 simultaneously. "Reboots display; equivalent to powering off and on again."

DBRV10

In the last two years and having not only my own 3 HDX screens, but supplied and installed many others, I have not had a HDX hang like that.

I have seen the USB stick bug a couple of times on one system, but that is it.

I wonder what is going on there.

Raymo

I love aviation!
When one of my legacy 1000T screen failed to boot (RSOD), no combination of button pushing would resolve it AND the transponder would not work.

scrollF4

Well, today I confirmed that the 1-2-5 button push reboots my displays. I'm glad to have the battery bypass switches for when I just want to disconnect the stuck screens from the backup batteries.

cbennet12

Well, today I confirmed that the 1-2-5 button push reboots my displays. I'm glad to have the battery bypass switches for when I just want to disconnect the stuck screens from the backup batteries.
As DBRV10 mentioned, this really should not happen. If it happens enough for you to seek a solution, you almost certainly have a problem. This problem rings a bell with me but I cannot recall what the relatively simple problem was but DYNON was able to track it down via the log files.

craig