Skyview Boot Problem

RussB

When I turned on my Skyview (bench top, not in an aircraft) the boot process stopped on the Skyview logo screen. It stayed there a couple of minutes, then a error message appeared that said "mass memory corrupted or missing, contact Dynon support". I removed power and then reapplied power. This time it booted and functioned normally. Firmware 2.5 is installed.

Obviously this is not normal. Is it a random occurance or is it an indication of problems in the future?

Russ

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
Rus
I am also having a boot problem with my Skyview and have seen the same error. My unit appears to "lock up"more frequently when my back up battery is less than full charge. It may be just a coincedence but the problem appeared to worsen after I installed the RF filters to surpress noise on my SL40. The filters work well but Dynon needs to come up with an answer to this boot issue.
Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Software 2.5 has some changes that help boot behavior. Please install this and let us know if you continue to have issues.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Can you please give us a more clear description of what is happening than "lock up"? What are you seeing on the screen, if anything, when you power it on?

sefg

After updating the firmware to 2.5 my system hangs at the Dynon splash screen often flashing a couple times a second. I have been unable to boot successfully since the upgrade.

I have already sent a note to support.

keye

Mine also hung and displayed this error message just after updating to 2.5, during one of the database updates( don't remember if it was during the av data or sensor config file updates). I did a 1,2,5-button reset and the unit rebooted correctly, and has been fine since.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
The boot problem I experienced prior to installing 2.5 was varied. It would somtimes hang at the splash screen or at a white screen with vertical colored lines. After installing 2.5 it did hang one time at the splash screen. After my last post I powered up my skyview multiple times (20+), with ships power and on back up battery only and it booted properly every time. I have to conclude that it is now more stable. I will test again next weekend and report any issues.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
Dynon
Has any progress been made concerning this boot issue?

My Skyview is significantly improved since installing 2.5 but it has "froze" at boot up on two occasions since my last post; one time at the splash screen and one time on a blank screen (I boot the unit up many times; I didn't count but maybe 30+ times). The 1,2,5 key reset worked with out issue.

fly4fn

Not flying yet but was curious about how the Skyview handles in flight re-boots? I’ve been told that some competitors EFIS tend to not reboot well in turbulent conditions. Is this an issue at all with Skyview? Flying around here in southern California, it’s not very often we have a day with little or no turbulence.

jakej

"mass memory corrupted or missing, contact Dynon support".

The above message just happened to a customers SV (vers 2.5) and the SV stayed powered on after ships power turned off - temporarily removing backup power and then rebooting SV seems to have fixed the problem.

HTH

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We are working hard on the boot issue that a small percentage of our users are experiencing. We have learned a lot this week, but we don't quite yet have a 100% answer.

If you do ever have a system that doesn't boot, please let us know these things:

1) Did the system have a battery connected?
2) Did the screen hang at a white screen with lines, the Dynon logo, or no screen at all?
3) If the screen hung at the Dynon logo, did it have a message at the top to contact Dynon?

If the screen hangs with the Dynon logo and a message to call us, and this happens more than once, we probably should see the screen when it's easy for you. We do have a small tweak to the hardware that should fix this. This should only happen to screens that were shipped within a few months of SkyView being released.

For any of the other issues, we very much want to know about them, but we believe we will have a fix for this that does not involve the item coming back to the factory.

Ron_B

Our's has a back up battery. It was not recieved in the first few months of shipment. Probably recieved it in April. It locks up at your logo. To reboot we pull the circuit breaker and boot up on the back-up battery, then turn on the circuit breaker. This is the 10" screen, the 7" does not have this problem. The 10" screen also is the screen with irratic RPM readings.
Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Oh, and on the in-flight reboots:

First, not all reboots will cause the AHRS to reboot, since it's a standalone device that only needs power to keep going. It's very robust and independent of the screen software.

Even if the AHRS does reboot, all Dynon AHRS units are designed for fast in-air restarts. Unless you are really out of coordination, the AHRS will be fully online and accurate by the time SkyView reboots. If it isn't, a warning will appear on screen until it is accurate. We do not have multi-minute, stay level requirements for an in-air restart like some other AHRS units do.

dgardea

Booted up my Dynon Skyview (SV-D700) EFIS last night to calibrate my trim tab settings and the screen just booted up to a pixelated screen of vertical colored stripes. This has happened at least 2 or 3 times prior. Switching off the avionics master of course left the screen in it's current state and I was only able to turn it off by momentarily disconnecting the backup battery. Subsequent bootups are successful. This all occured before learning about the 1,2,5 reboot procedure I discovered here this morning. Dynon, to answer your questions below:

1) Did the system have a battery connected?
YES
2) Did the screen hang at a white screen with lines, the Dynon logo, or no screen at all?
WHITE SCREEN WITH LINES
3) If the screen hung at the Dynon logo, did it have a message at the top to contact Dynon?
NO

What's the solution to resolve this?

Thanks!

flyingboy

Guys

I have had the same problem with both my screens, I did notice it was when I had the battery back up connected I disconnected the back up batterys and have had better reliability however it has locked up on me once or twice again. I have the latest version software loaded so I also am a little concerned.

Hugh

snowyriver

I have had this same problem twice along with 5 occurences of colored vertical lines that will not go away until I reboot which sometimes needs to be done more than once. I have also noticed that it seems to happen when the b/u batt is connected. I haven't run my eng yet but do use a tricle charger to keep the plane batt up.

For those of us who buy, install and then months go by before we are flying this is kind of scary. I probably won't fly until a year after the date I bought my system. I have 2.5 installed.

thibault

The next time you do get booted up, when you have this problem, check the state of charge on your Dynon back up battery.

I think there has been acknowledgment that when the backup battery is low, this will happen sometimes.