SKYVIEW-GTN-650 Guigance

whd721

I love flying!
I have an RV9A with a SKYVIEW system.  I am considering adding a GTN- 650 to allow me to start IFR training. 
I understand the adding of the SV-ARINC-429 to make the GTN- 650 talk to the SKYVIEW is required

However, there are several questions I cannot find clear answers to.
1. I want to allow the addition of a G5 as HSI, a GMU 11 Magnetometer and a required GAD ARINC 429 Navigation Data Adapter now or in the future.  However, the SV-ARINC-429 and the GAD 29 both want to use the same GTN- 650 pins.  Can they share?
2. I understand the GTN- 650 VOR and GPS data are used to drive the SKYVIEW HSI and Map. 
Will the GTN- 650 also send GPS guided Approaches, Advisory vertical approach guidance and holding patterns and so on?
3. It appears that the GTN-650 may only function as a very expensive SV-GPS-2020 ( but blessed). 
4. I have limited knowledge on this stuff, so I am looking for corrections, guidance and advise.

Thanks for any help.

Raymo

I love aviation!
1. There is no need to install both 429 adapters.
2. Not sure as the 650 was recently updated with additional functionality. The SV autopilot will follow commands from the 650.
3. The GPS-2020 antenna is just that - an antenna. The 650 is a certified navigator that includes software and databases that have gone through extreme FAA testing and validation, which costs millions of $$$.
4. Good questions

Garrett

I love flying!
You just need one SV-ARINC-429 and the GTN-650 which contains all approaches DP's, STARS and enroute. SKYVIEW displays horizontal/vertical guidance on the HSI and has the geo referenced approach plates. I use the moving map on the GTN-650 to display holds and any other info I may need.

A

alexe

Not to be picky, but the GPS-2020 is not just an antenna. It is a GPS receiver with a serial output that provides guidance for the SV as well as “blessed” position information for ADSB out. However, you can get by without it if the GTN 650 provides the equivalent data.

kellym

I love flying!
Re: SKYVIEW-GTN-650 Guidance

Not to be picky, but the GPS-2020 is not just an antenna. It is a GPS receiver with a serial output that provides guidance for the SV as well as “blessed” position information for ADSB out. However, you can get by without it if the GTN 650 provides the equivalent data.

I have the GTN650, the SV ARINC adapter and the GPS 250. The GPS 250 drives the Skyview screen moving map, etc.
The GTN650 I normally use as the flightplan source for the PFD and HSI. Works fine once you understand how to operate the GTN650 and understand the flightplan source and HSI source is what drives the autopilot. Gives vertical guidance on ILS approaches and RNAV approaches that are LPV or LNAV/VNAV. I use the GTN as the position source for the ADSB out transponder. If I were to uprade to the GPS 2020, it would give a backup source for ADS-B, but would not add any capability for IFR.

Raymo

I love aviation!

It is just an antenna. It cannot be used for IFR navigation, which is what the OP was questioning.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
OK, so getting technical here. The SV-GPS-2020 is both a GPS receiver and antenna. All of the electronics are in the puck. You can power it up and get a position out of it without anything else. It ultimately outputs a serial data stream.

In contrast, most other IFR navigators split only the antenna off into the puck, and the actual receiver electronics are in the navigator itself. Incidentally, one benefit of our architecture is that we never have signal interference issues upstream of the puck itself.

Now, all of that is just academic, because the SV-GPS-2020 is not a complete navigation solution (or part of one) for IFR flying. It IS an approved position source for ADS-B compliance.

Remember that IFR GPS-based navigation isn't just the position source - it's all of the software, databases, UI, and other things that make an IFR navigator able to do the things they are approved to do.

whd721

I love flying!
This is my attempt to clarify my original question.  From the response of others it is clear that the SKYVIEW and the GTN- 650 play well together.

I am still trying to determine if the SV-ARINC- 429 and the GAD 29 can play together.

I have a RV9A with the SKYVIEW system and I intend to start training for IFR next year.

I want to add a GTN- 650 and the SV-ARINC-429 to the SKYVIEW system. 

I would also like to add a G5 Flight Instrument and a GMU 11 magnetometer as backup from the GTN-650.

To add the Garmin LRUs you need a GAD 29 Navigation Data Interface Adapter to create the Can Buss that is required to add a G5 and a GMU 11 to. 

The  SV -ARINC-429 Connects to the GTN P1001 connector with pins;

10 ARINC out 1A
29 ARINC out 1B
48 ARINC in    1A
67 ARINC in    1B
And to GTN P1004 with pins:
23 VOR/ILS ARINC 429 OUT B
24 VOR/ILS ARINC 429 OUT A

However, the GAD 29 wants to share the Connector P1001 pins;

10 ARINC out 1A
29 ARINC out 1B
48 ARINC in    1A
67 ARINC in    1B

Questions:

1. Can the SV-ARINC-429 and the GAD 29 both share the same pins?

2. Can the GAD 29 use the other GTN P1001 connector pins;

9   ARINC out 2A
28 ARINC out 2B
47 ARINC in    2A
68 ARINC in    2B

3. Are there any other options?

Thanks for any help

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
1. Only half(ish) of them. You can generally split a device's transmit pins into multiple receivers. So you should might be able to split the transmits from 10 and 29 on the Garmin's connector to both us and the G5. The in pins are not going to work. A receive pin can only listen to exactly one device.

2. You'd need to ask Garmin about that compatibility.

3. As long as the GTN's ARINC ports are identically flexible in the formats they can send/receive (I'm not sure about this without having one in front of me), you may be able to use the 2A/2B channels with SkyView instead. There might be others on here that have more experience with the GTN's settings.