Skyview HDX ADS-B Traffic disappears then reappears

Notarpilot

New Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2020
Messages
10
Can anyone tell me why ADS-B targets would intermittently disappear and reappear throughout a flight using the HDX?
 
I had a similar issue. Dynon recommended I turn off TIS as it interferes with ADS-B in. I did, problem went away. The latest software, 16.6 addresses that, I understand.
 
Last edited:
This is a known problem with an open ticket with Dynon. This issue was introduced with introduction of the SV-ADSB-472 ADSB module back in 2017. uAvioix produced the 472 for Dynon. uAvionix also had the same issue with their product, correcting it after about a year of user complaints. Apparently uAvionix is no longer supporting the Dynon version leaving this issue unresolved for years. It is especially bad if you are flying near a heavy traffic area for example Atlanta.
 
Last edited:
Just noticed yesterday that there's an update for the SV-ADSB-472 ADSB-IN that didn't install automatically on upgrade to 16.6... somewhere in SETUP > ADSB-IN.
Only got 30 minutes to fly with the update, and leaving the TIS-B disabled for now to see if the update helps.
 
Does this mean that after installing 16.6, a separate step to update the Adsb has to be executed?

Thanks in advance
 
To upgrade the SV-ASDB-472 firmware; From the settings menu select ADS-B Status. Select the 4th line down to load the new firmware. If you have 2 screens power down the second screen before doing the update.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 449
The new ADSB 472 firmware upgrade is very good news. The previous version 2.4.20 is a 2017 release of the Uavionics firmware. This new version (2.4.58) is a current release and should have the fix for the dropped targets. Finally!!!:)
 
Last edited:
My SV's ADSB-472 is Version 2.4.20 and I get occasional dropped targets, ghosting, etc. Can I separately update my ADSB to the newer Version 2.4.58 without having to go through the whole 16.6 update? I always dread the updating process due to my fear that my existing parameters and settings (for my RV-12 / 912ULS) will be lost or incorrectly reset.
 
My SV's ADSB-472 is Version 2.4.20 and I get occasional dropped targets, ghosting, etc. Can I separately update my ADSB to the newer Version 2.4.58 without having to go through the whole 16.6 update? I always dread the updating process due to my fear that my existing parameters and settings (for my RV-12 / 912ULS) will be lost or incorrectly reset.
I believe you need to be on release16.5.2 or higher to be able to load the latest SV-ADSB-472 firmware.
 
DHeal, I have a 12iS, and after wiping out all of my settings by using the Van’s update file, I’ve since always just used the Dynon file. I’m currently running 16.5.2 and just today updated the ADS-B firmware. Be advised that if you have two HDXs, you need to power off the second HDX before updating the firmware. Had to get Dynon support to help me fix that issue. And by the way, they responded several times within the hour of my email request to help me out. Outstanding customer service! And according to Van’s, their update file isn’t supposed to wipe out our settings, but admitted there have been a few updates where that happened, so, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice…. You know the rest of the saying.
 
Just noticed yesterday that there's an update for the SV-ADSB-472 ADSB-IN that didn't install automatically on upgrade to 16.6... somewhere in SETUP > ADSB-IN.
Only got 30 minutes to fly with the update, and leaving the TIS-B disabled for now to see if the update helps.
Schorsch - I'm curious how your learned about this new ADS-B update and the fact it doesn't install automatically?
After installation, did you notice any improvement?
 
DHeal, I have a 12iS, and after wiping out all of my settings by using the Van’s update file, I’ve since always just used the Dynon file. I’m currently running 16.5.2 and just today updated the ADS-B firmware. Be advised that if you have two HDXs, you need to power off the second HDX before updating the firmware. Had to get Dynon support to help me fix that issue. And by the way, they responded several times within the hour of my email request to help me out. Outstanding customer service! And according to Van’s, their update file isn’t supposed to wipe out our settings, but admitted there have been a few updates where that happened, so, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice…. You know the rest of the saying.
To avoid messing up my existing Van's RV-12 ULS parameters in my SV should I just update to 16.6.0 using Dynon's Method 1? In other words, NOT try to update any of my existing Van's sSV ettings??
 
To avoid messing up my existing Van's RV-12 ULS parameters in my SV should I just update to 16.6.0 using Dynon's Method 1? In other words, NOT try to update any of my existing Van's sSV ettings??
That’s what I do. You do need to review the Van’s readme file for any changes you may need to implement manually. For example, one of the settings changes they made for the iS was to eliminate the yellow range from the fuel pressure widget. Since I didn’t use their update file, I had to manually change the fuel pressure widget. And I’ll just repeat that Van’s claims their file isn’t supposed to change our settings, so proceed as you see fit. You can always save your settings and reinstall them if the Van’s file causes a problem. Dynon automatically creates a backup of your existing settings before loading the new file, but it’s not placed in the root directory, so you would need a pc to move it to the root to be able to reload it.
 
From a recent email exchanged from Dynon Support I learned that ADS-B, Transponder and GPS updates all have to be handled manually. The process for each is detailed in the installation manual. https://dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/skyview/SkyView_System_Installation_Guide-Rev_AO.pdf
I appreciate that reminder. My question was based on how we are supposed to know there is an update available for any of those devices? The Dynon Release Notes page doesn't really give users a firm indication an update is even available:
 
I appreciate that reminder. My question was based on how we are supposed to know there is an update available for any of those devices? The Dynon Release Notes page doesn't really give users a firm indication an update is even available:
The only way to know if an update is available is to manually check the ADS-B / Transponder / GPS setup pages after every firmware update to see if they need to be updated.

FWIW, the email I received from Dynon stated that the ADS-B/Transponder/GPS components have only been updated once in the past 10 years.
 
FYI TIS is being phased out at the ATC level, and may only have spotty coverage at this point in any case.
 
FYI TIS is being phased out at the ATC level, and may only have spotty coverage at this point in any case.
According to an FAA document from September 2022 TIS-b is not being phased out….

This action announces termination of the Mode–S Traffic Information Service (TIS) at 104 terminal Mode–S radar sites. The FAA is replacing these legacy terminal Mode–S radars via the Mode–S Beacon Replacement System (MSBRS) program, or may remove legacy terminal Mode–S radars as part of other ongoing activities. As each legacy terminal Mode–S Radar is replaced or removed, the FAA will no longer provide Mode–S TIS to capable transponders from that location. This change does not affect existing Traffic Information Service—Broadcast (TIS–B), Automatic Dependent Surveillance—Rebroadcast (ADS–R), or Automatic Dependent Surveillance—Same Link Rebroadcast (ADS–SLR) services currently provided to properly ADS–B equipped aircraft.
 
Back
Top