Skyview HDX WiFi Dongle and ForeFlight

Alto

My Dynon connection to my iPad running Foreflight has never been satisfactory. After a year of promising it will be fixed it's worse than ever. On climb out of every flight the Foreflight announces its connection is lost.

Does anyone on the forum agree with me that Dynon owes us a refund for falsely advertising this capability and selling an accessory that just doesn't work.

MikeD

Not an answer to your question but a suggestion that might reduce the occurrences of disconnects. I was surprised to read this thread which quotes Dynon stating that Skyview only supports 1 connection. If two devices are connected then you *will* experience intermittent disconnects.

Like me, most of us have an EFB application on our phones and tablet. If I bring both my iPhone and iPad into the cockpit, they will both automatically establish connections to Skyview *and* experience intermittent disconnects. I now only fly with one device powered on and get improved, but not perfect, reliability.

Last edited:

GrinchF16

My connection is flawless. Panel mounted iPad, zero disconnects… But, I have a Classic not HDX. May be a difference there.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I can tell my experiences as I was an original classic Skyview that recently upgraded to the HDX. My experience was the classic was more robust regarding WiFi connectivity. I rarely, had a WiFi disconnect with a IFD 540 and an IPAD with Foreflight connected. I only had numerous WiFi disconnects when I added another IPAD w/ Foreflight (2 IPADs) on the classic. Once I upgraded to HDX I began to get WiFi disconnects occasionally with the IFD and 1 IPAD. These are generally short duration and auto recover. Occasionally I must disable WiFi in Skyview and re-enable to fix. When I have IFD and 2 IPADs it will start WiFi disconnects within minutes. All have auto recover to date. I usually ask the copilot to keep their IPAD off.

I can add one more bit if information that I have reported elsewhere in this forum regarding Foreflight. I will always experience no textual METARS after approximately 1 hour of flight time or immediately if I took off without first having an update to Foreflight via internet. On a cross country flight I must look up weather via Skyview display. Foreflight is useless, all airports show ”no data available “. I have experienced this also with a Garmin system also. So, it is not isolated to a Dynon system. I know the data is somewhere inside Foreflight because I see the green/blue/red dots at weather reporting airports. Just tap the airport and it says “no data available “. This problem has been reported to Boeing / Foreflight last April. Still has not been fixed, but they say it is being “worked”.

Kurt

Last edited:

Alto

My Dynon connection to my iPad running Foreflight has never been satisfactory. After a year of promising it will be fixed it's worse than ever. On climb out of every flight the Foreflight announces its connection is lost.

Does anyone on the forum agree with me that Dynon owes us a refund for falsely advertising this capability and selling an accessory that just doesn't work.
Thanks for the replies. I fly with Foreflight backing up a Garmin panel and don’t have problems with it. Switched over from Garmin Pilot when I got a gyroplane as a second aircraft with a Dynon HDX system. Of course Garmin Pilot doesn’t play with Dynon. I tried FlyQ as an alternative. I didn’t have issues with the iPad disconnecting in either situation with FlyQ. However, I mount the iPad on the copilot side of the panel, and the lcd screen on the iPad pro isn’t very readable when viewing from an oblique angle. The FlyQ lacked the ability to change colors to enhance day light use in the cockpit. That brings us to Floeflight. No problem with the Garmin Bluetooth connection. However, Dynon has no reason to claim they are able to connect to it. It’s just false advertising. I’ve got the dongle mounted just fractions of an inch from the iPad I’ve been trying for 2 years.. I don’t connect to the Dynon WiFi with anything else. I’ve stripped all the privacy protections from the iPad’s Dynon WiFi connection and Configured the Dynon WiFi connection to “No” so as not to display WiFi on the iPad because it has a cellular modem. I fly the gyro mostly less than 500 feet. It keeps both hands busy. Not much opportunity to disconnect or restart software in the air.

Karl Gosling

I don't know about a refund but fixing the problem would be nice, it really can't be that hard... WiFi isn't new! lol
I get a connection maybe one in every ten attempts and then loses it almost immediately, I've given up using it.

Alto

I wonder if the issue might be as simple as a better wifi dongle. Dynon insists on selling you their wifi usb device. Has anyone tried to make it work with any other after market usb wifi adapter?

ve0kog

I wonder if the issue might be as simple as a better wifi dongle. Dynon insists on selling you their wifi usb device. Has anyone tried to make it work with any other after market usb wifi adapter?
no, but im thinking about connecting Startux as the primary ADSB IN source for FF.

Karl Gosling

I thought this but it isn't the WiFi that drops out, my phone has a solid connection, it's Skyview that stops communicating with (in my case) SkyDemon showing the message "Waiting for Skyview" which makes this problem even more frustrating as just replacing the WiFi dongle would be quick, easy and cheap!
Sadly it looks like it's Dynon that need to fix their software that communicates with our other devices/software (SD, FF, EasyVFR, etc.)

If I'm lucky and keep trying I can sometimes get a connection long enough to just about upload a flight plan, but using the Dynon GPS rather than the phones inbuilt module for logging my flight data etc. is impossible.