Skyview WiFi intermittent no communication.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I have had my WiFi fail to communicate with my Foreflight tablet about 3 times over the past few months. In all cases it starts off fine then in-flight Foreflight drops my position data and shows no track or any info on flight progress. No more ADSB data. Looking at the WiFi status it shows it is connected to Skyview network. I have tried disconnecting the tablet from network and reconnecting but no success. The only way to fix is to reboot Skyview or disable the WiFi adapter and re-enable. Yesterday, I was flying from Houston to Fort Worth and it did this. This time I had another pilot aboard with his tablet connected also. Both tablets experienced the same loss of communications. Foreflight does not show any error messages when this happens until I disable the WiFi adapter.
I thought it may be related to the known WiFi issues on HDX but the latest software load, 16.3.2, did not fix this. I am guessing that I have a WiFi adapter that is failing? Anyone else experiencing this problem?
I have a Skyview classic touch, single screen, 10 inch.

Tom687

I have a similar problem. SkyView with iPad with SkyDemon. Even though the iPad is connected to the aircraft's WiFi network, SkyDemon says "Waiting for SkyView" and "Seeking GPS Satellites" I tried a different WiFi adapter and it's the same. My HDX1100 S/N 35106 and software 16.3.2

doychinov

I have D1000T with SD, so far no problem. Maybe something connected with HDX ?

cbretana

Same problem! Happens with Foreflight on iPad and with iFlyGPS, on both iPad and multiple Android tablets.

owenssonex

Are all users experiencing this issue have software version 16.3.2 installed? I have not problems with wifi using a D1000 and 16.2.4 (I'm NOT saying that 16.2.4 is a fix)

doychinov

Are all users experiencing this issue have software version 16.3.2 installed? I have not problems with wifi using a D1000 and 16.2.4 (I'm NOT saying that 16.2.4 is a fix)
Same here. I use it every time with my D1000. No problem for now. I think others are using HDX.

kurtfly

I love flying!
It started the first time on my D1000T classic system with version 16.3.0. It continued with 16.3.2. It is intermittent, once in 5 to 10 flights. It requires a total skyview reset or disable Skyview WiFi adapter and re-install to correct.

pnwpilot

I love flying!
I have the same intermittent WiFi issue with my twin HDX setup. Works fine most of the time but perhaps one time in twenty the WiFi data stream will terminate (HDX WiFi itself is still active, just no data). I'm running FlyQ on an iPad mini in case that matters. As others have noted, disabling and re-enabling the WiFi interface on the HDX inflight will restore function. Have not noticed a pattern to this behavior yet.

XPRSAV8R

I have twin HDX displays, too, with adapters on both screens. I also experience intermittent disconnections. I usually leave it alone and hope that the issue resolves itself. Unfortunately, it never does. HDX still displays traffic and weather, but anything connected via WiFi loses connection.

Last edited:

KRviator

I have the same issue with twin Classic displays - but strangely only with the RHS display and the WiFi adapter on that display. To that end, I have it plugged into the USB pigtail and accessible and simply unplug it, and reseat it in the female USB socket and the WiFi comes good almost immediately.

If you're experiencing the same issue, go into Settings and WiFi and see if it says "ONLINE" or something else. If it isn't "Online" unplug one of your adapters and see if that changes it. If not, repeat with the other....

Brudy61

Same
2 HDX screens WIFI drops foreflight / I Phone.
I removed the skyview wifi from Iphone, searched for the new skyview and connected, it worked after I changed the password in the Dynon, finally for one upload of a flight plane, then it quit working again.

Any Ideas?

rfazio1951

I have two classic D1000 screens. I get an announcement almost every flight “skyview has disconnected“ from ForeFlight. But ForeFlight is still connected. I get traffic on the ForeFlight screen and can transfer flight plans back and forth. Weird, I have been just ignoring it lately. I look at the ForeFlight screen and if I see traffic I know I’m good. I have the latest versions on both Skyview and ForeFlight.

Stewart

I have just fitted a HDX1100 system to a RV9. I can only get my phone or tablet to connect briefly, it then quits and maybe come back for another few seconds. Basically useless! All are connected to the wifi network, but Skydemon can't seem to connect up properly. Surly there is a fix for this.

kurtfly

I love flying!
On a flight from Denver back to Fort Worth Foreflight stopped updating radar data. All other products including position appeared to work fine. Radar data was over 1 hour old but still being displayed. I restarted Foreflight but same issue. Again appears to be a Skyview WiFi issue. Radar data was displayed correctly on the Skyview display. I did not restart the Skyview WiFi because I was IFR and nearing the DFW metroplex. As always , no warning message from Skyview or Foreflight.

Dynon - Are these WiFi issues being worked? Or do I have a hardware issue? I have a WiFi issue communicating with Foreflight on approximate 1 out of 10 flights.

XPRSAV8R

Curious to know if others still encounter this problem. It's almost as if SkyView has a timer. Somewhere after 10 min, my iPad will report ADS-B connection lost. I can confirm that the iPad is still connected to the SkyView WiFi adapter. Disabling and re-enabling WiFi on the iPad does appear to fix it.

Like others who've reported this, I don't recall this happening prior to 16.3.0.

Stewart

Check out this. I missed it and had to be dragged by the nose to it!!
However I'm assured they are working hard on the problem.

Experimental SkyView HDX Displays Equipped with Wi-Fi AdaptersUpdated: 5/17/2022Service Bulletin 050622

XPRSAV8R

Check out this. I missed it and had to be dragged by the nose to it!!
However I'm assured they are working hard on the problem.

Experimental SkyView HDX Displays Equipped with Wi-Fi AdaptersUpdated: 5/17/2022Service Bulletin 050622
Thanks Stewart and much appreciated for the quick response. Unfortunately, my 10" HDX displays are prior to hardware version 4. Despite the claim of displays outside the specified serial number range not being affected, I am experiencing this problem. I'll report this to support.