Space based ADSB

Denok

Any plans for a diversity capable space based ADSB in out solution? Everyone except the US, which uses land based ADSB, will use space based ADSB by 2023. For all canadian aircraft operating within transponder airspace in the US from 2020 on, that means two ADSB installation. One for the 2020 US mandate and one when space based ADSB will be implemented.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We're keeping an eye on things, but don't have anything updated product plans to discuss at this point.

ssbn608

I love flying!
So... what do you recommend for someone who has SkyView Classic, with the non-WAAS gps who wants to upgrade to ADS-B in and out for both the US and Canada? I'm flying a motorglider, registered as a glider, so am technically NOT required to comply with ADS-B out by 2020, BUT want to get it, so I retain access to all airspace, and because an all white composite aircraft is damnably hard to see in haze or against white clouds... and I WANT others to be able to see me on their ADS-B in, because they frequently can't see me with the Mk-1 eyeball.

Oh, and I want to keep things light and, of course, inexpensive.

Last edited:

Raymo

I love aviation!
So... what do you recommend for someone who has SkyView Classic, with the non-WAAS gps who wants to upgrade to ADS-B in and out for both the US and Canada? I'm flying a motorglider, registered as a glider, so am technically NOT required to comply with ADS-B out by 2020, BUT want to get it, so I retain access to all airspace, and because an all white composite aircraft is damnably hard to see in haze or against white clouds... and I WANT others to be able to see me on their ADS-B in, because they frequently can't see me with the Mk-1 eyeball.

Oh, and I want to keep things light and, of course, inexpensive.

Install the Dynon GPS-2020 receiver and 261 transponder and you are OUT compliant. The ADSB-472 gets the IN side done. Very little added weight, assuming you already have the Dynon transponder.

RVDan

I love flying!
Nav Canada hasn’t formalized space based ADS-B out and may never. The US won’t be heading there in the foreseeable future. Not sure what your concern is. As I understand it, to be Space based compatible, the transponder needs diversity ( one antenna top and bottom). Outside of transport aircraft avionics, GARMIN has or will have shortly, a light GA aircraft diversity transponder qualified for ADS-B. If I recall correctly the price is quite high. So if you must have ADS-B out that will be space based compatible, if and when there is an active system, it is just a matter of money.

ssbn608

I love flying!
Not sure what your concern is. ... So if you must have ADS-B out that will be space based compatible, if and when there is an active system, it is just a matter of money.

The concern is with buying avionics component A instead of avionics component B next month, and then find out that component B would be compatible with both the system in the US, and what Dynon might be developing as a space based ADS-B out, but that component A is not. Dynon doesn't " have anything updated product plans to discuss at this point." but I thought maybe that someone with some inside knowledge might suggest a best course of action at this point based on plans they aren't able to discuss at this point...

RVDan

I love flying!
I’ll be meeting with Trigg next week. I’ll inquire what they are planning. If they make, Dynon might pick it up.

RVDan

I love flying!
I have confirmed that any diversity mode s transponder will meet the space based system requirement. So anyone flying around with TCAS I OR II will have a transponder meeting the requirement. Like I stated before, I think GARMIN may be the only one right now making a light GA transponder that does this. The GTX 345 is available with diversity for a $3000.00 premium.

vlittle

It's a bit of a misnomer to say that antenna diversity will be required in Canada. We are lobbying Transport Canada to make an exception for light aircraft below xxxx feet. Even if that's not possible, the equivalent of diversity can be achieved with a proper dipole antenna on the wingtip or stinger.

Either way, diversity will provide much better ship-to-ship traffic avoidance in both the US and Canada. If I were to equip a new aircraft, diversity would be a must-have, both to travel internationally as well as the better traffic coverage. Don't forget that the satellite system will also provide a breadcrumb trail for SAR, just in case.

So running the coax to the wingtip may be the solution for new builds. Just need to dust off my antenna design skills. Come to think of it, I have a coax to the wingtip in my Rocket for an unused VOR antenna that could repurposed. Oh goody, another project!

V

MilitaryAV8R

I am new to these forums and just reading through old stuff right now. As for the question of transponders that offer ADS-B Diversity options, the L3Harris Lynx NGT-9000 has that capability and more. Of course as with all things, these options come at a premium.

vlittle

I am involved in a field trial of a low-cost diversity transponder that will be a good choice for new installs, likely by the end of the year. Economical to boot. Dynon is aware.

alsrv7

Uavionix has their Tailbeaconx ($2499 us) which is a mode S transponder with diversity built in. Requires a control head as well. Can use their AV-20-E ($895) or 30-E ($1595) or will interface with MGL and some GRT EFIS at this point. If bundled they take $200 off the 20 or $300 off the 30. Works everywhere.

fly3g

Any updates on a possible Uavionix TailbeaconX interface to the Dynon HDX? I am looking to pull the trigger on my avionics build for my project and the TailbeaconX would be a nice way to go. Not sure what the current Dynon serial control format is used with the Trig unit transponders but maybe could rig a microcontroller to do a little translation to talk to the Uavionix unit?

vlittle

I will install a diversity transponder or equivalent in my S-21. If Dynon doesn't license one soon, I will use the tailBeaconX. I have already started the ball rolling to standardize an installation on the VS. This includes a custom fairing that will be made available from a third party. This setup light, easy to install and cost less than existing bricks.

Aside from better ship-to-ship traffic awareness, the breadcrumb trail function for SAR is very comforting.
I still need an ADS-B In solution, which Dynon already provides.

Bruno

'' I have already started the ball rolling to standardize an installation on the VS. This includes a custom fairing that will be made available from a third party. This setup light, easy to install and cost less than existing bricks. ''
------------
Vern

Any update on your project??

I'm still standing by to see if Dynon is gonna come up with something before pulling the trigger on a Tailbeacon X for my RV-4..

Bruno

vlittle

You can follow the progress on http://www.ransclan.com/forums Aerosport has committed to building a custom VS fairing for the S21. The tailBeaconX already fits the RV-4 rudder with taillight fairing. Unfortunately, it does not provide a strobe function, which I am discussing with uAvionix. A strobe function would make it backwards compatible with most RVs that use a tail strobe.

I have found that uAvionix has been very responsive in the past, so my hopes are up.

soarhead

It's Canada. They are still doing studies in Montreal to determine the safety impacts of possibly legalizing a right turn on a red light.

Denok

We're keeping an eye on things, but don't have anything updated product plans to discuss at this point.
We're at the point where Canadian and all other non-US airspace flying aircrafts will need to have ADSB diversity capabilities in the near future. Please Dynon, show us your solution so we don't have to shop around and mix another manufacturer's equipment to our existing setup.

Rhino

The exact same point is being made in the Certified forum. I highly suspect Dynon is already working on this, and probably has been for some time. But as always, they aren't going to announce anything until a product is available, or on the verge of being available. They have good reasons for that 'non-announcement' policy, but they're too complex to go into here.

vlittle

Well, I got tired of waiting for a Dynon-made solution, so what does you average engineer do? Build one. Covered in other threads, but here it is again:

IMG_2325-1.JPEG

This is the huVVer-AVI device, available now from store.makerplane.org, with a software App available from my site www.huvver.tech/huvver-avi-tbx-app/. Designed and tested to work with all Dynon EFIS systems and any serial altitude encoders.

You need a place with a standard 2" or 3" instrument hole, and you can also install a remote ident switch if needed.

Yes, we all would prefer to see Dynon support the tailBeaconX natively, but for now, the problem is solved.

Last edited by a moderator: