SV-D1000 smoked

rfsolutions

I love flying!
Updating the software, running on batteries only, updating software after test flight prior to leaving for KOSH. PFD smoked! Anyone else ever have one completely Smoke? It tripped the breaker and had the typical distinct burned smell. Makes me rethink using this stuff in an IFR platform. Gonna miss airventure this year! :'(

W

William_Ince

Updating the software, running on batteries only, updating software after test flight prior to leaving for KOSH. PFD smoked! Anyone else ever have one completely Smoke? It tripped the breaker and had the typical distinct burned smell. Makes me rethink using this stuff in an IFR platform. Gonna miss airventure this year!  :'(
Test flight for what? . . :-?

jakej

Marv, I feel your pain re OSH & the Dynon issue.

This is the first time I've heard of any screen being 'smoked' due to a manufacturing fault, & ive done a lot of installs. Not saying it can't happen but it'll be easy for Dynon to see what caused the problem with your unit.
Hopefully the result is not too painful.

rfsolutions

I love flying!
The pfd is smoked. Moved it to the right side to feed the ems data and popped the breaker on that side and let more factory installed smoke out. I was receiving several communications errors from xpndr, roll & pitch servos, etc. after the pfd popped & swapped positions everything back to normal. Screen was dying and then died. Dynon being champs, have one waiting in KOSH.

swatson999

Please get an answer as to root cause for this and post it here once Dynon has a look at it. This is very unusual.

A friend had a similar problem with his 430W a few years back, during early flight test. Turned out to be a tiny piece of metal swarf that had dropped into the 430 during aircraft construction (so not a failure of the box at all). A good reminder to protect electronics from FOD during building or maintenance.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't something similar...but then again, who knows? Let us know the outcome, please.