Traffic to ForeFlight with V15 software?

nigelspeedy

Flew today after updating to V15 software. I had ADS-B weather on my iPad running ForeFlight but no traffic. Is traffic sent to ForeFlight over the SkyView WiFi network? Is there a setting that has to be managed?

Cheers
Nigel

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the broadcast is there, but we didn't think that Foreflight had implemented traffic/weather reception from SkyView yet. There's a chance that it "accidentally" works right now, but actually "official" support is forthcoming, we believe.

Raymo

I love aviation!
My experience is that weather worked previously but not traffic. Some on the Vans Airforce forum are reporting that both now work with ForeFlight and FltPlanGo after the update to 15.3.3.

lgabriel

I love flying!
ForeFlight has announced v10 of their software will have considerably wider support for GDL 90 type devices, with the spec fully documented:

https://www.foreflight.com/connect/spec/

I hope this finally means working traffic and wx from SV to FF!

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I have the dual band and the 15.3.3 update and use Foreflight. On a recent flight I booted up Foreflight and for just a second displayed traffic. When the traffic disappeared FF gave me a WiFi disconnect message.

Raymo

I love aviation!
When the traffic disappeared FF gave me a WiFi disconnect message.

I get that any time I go from FF to another app and back to FF. Apparently this causes FF to think it was disconnected, even though it wasn't.

krw5927

I love flying!
Dynon, ball's in your court. Foreflight has done their part by publishing their input requirements.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It looks like they have implemented it different from what they and us talked about last year. We'll have to adapt our software a little. We'll let you know.

RVDan

I love flying!
Has the interface to provide weather and traffic to Foreflight been addressed in 15.3.4?  If not, then any insight on when is it planned?

Raymo

I love aviation!
I flew yesterday with 15.3.4 and did not see wx (several storms within 10 miles) or traffic on Foreflight - though there was not traffic to be seen, at the time.

Weather occasionally worked in the past but not reliably. I found that navigating from the app and back would cause the ADS-B link to be broken. It would not work again until both EFIS and panel were restarted, which I haven't tried in the air.

All that said, I don't rely on either in FF with dual SV1000Ts in the panel. Traffic alerts from FF might, however, be more functional/friendly/detailed than the simple "Traffic" alert in SV. Won't know until that works.