Transponder Fail in Flight

nigelspeedy

I had my Skyview transponder fail in flight for about 30 seconds. I got a XPDR Fail warning, the code field on the top row went blank and there was some noise in the intercom. After about 30 seconds it came back to normal. I subsequently got a "Sys Event 3: see setup" caution. Not sure if they are related. Any tips on troubleshooting would be appreciated.
Cheers
Nigel

Raymo

I love aviation!
Might it have been Sys Event 5? If so, the manual indicates this is a potential problem with the SSD (solid state drive). See appendix A in the latest manual.

If not 5, there are instructions in the manual on how to dump the diagnostic files to send to their support team for a deeper look.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The fact that the information went away and then came back means that SkyView didn't see the transponder for that 30 seconds. Was that event 3 message immediately after the transponder came back?

nigelspeedy

Thanks for the reply Dynon,

The Event 3 message was after the transponder came back online. I could not find an explanation of what 'Event 3' means in the install or operator manual. Does the '3' mean it is the third event, or is 'Event 3' a type of event?

Cheers

Nigel

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's a type of event. It implies a software anomaly was detected (but we may or may not know the cause). We'd love to get a log from you. Can you send one to us via www.dynon.aero/reportlog ? Make sure to provide a link to this thread when you send it so we can link up your report to the log.

nigelspeedy

Sorry I think the log has been overwritten, but if it happens again I will get one to you guys. It has been working fine the last 10 hours.
cheers
Nigel