Trutrak autopilot compatibility

nwetter

I love flying!
I've read that Trutrak autopilots and Skyview are compatible, but I am wondering to what degree they are integrated. Would modes supported by Skyview but not by Trutrak be functional (such as IAS hold or ILS approach), or would I be limited to modes supported by Trutrak? Is the Skyview simply telling the Trutrak what modes and settings to use, or is it taking control of the servos at a lower level? Or is it "tricking" the Trutrak into doing what it wants by sending specially crafted GPSS commands or something?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Trutrak makes an autopilot model that can listen to SkyView's bugs and other flight data, but all of the autopilot controls and features are driven by the TT autopilot head. So there isn't Dynon-side "integration", per-se. At a technical level, TT is able to listen to SkyView's serial data stream. So yes, all control and modes are those that are available via the TruTrak itself. Or put another way, SkyView isn't "aware" of the TruTrak in any way.

triton

I love flying!
Question regarding this subject. I am retrofitting an rv7-a from steam gauges to the skyview. The airplane currently has a gns430 driving an trutrak digiflight II autopilot (tt). All the information i have been able to find shows sending only serial data to the tt. However, the tt also takes in arinc a & b data from the gns430.

Is it possible to:
Split sv-arinc 429 tx A pin 24
One to the gns430 gps arinc 429 in 1A p4001 pin 48
One to the gns430 vor/ils arinc 429 in A p4006 pin 36
Split sv-arinc 429 tx B pin 12
One to the gns430 gps arinc 429 in B p4001 pin 49
One to the gns430 vor/ils arinc 429 in B p4006 pin 35

Port sv-arinc 429 tx A pin 25 to the tt arinc-a pin 14
Port sv-arinc 429 tx B pin 13 to the tt arinc-b pin 15
Port serial out X from the skyview to the tt primary serial input pin 17

My sense is, this would work.
Advantage, it makes the skyview the primary nav data source to the tt. (skyview, gns430 gps/vor, and an sl30)
Disadvantage, it makes the skyview the primary nav data source to the tt.

Unrelated question: Is it possible to see gns430 com frequencies on the skyview, like the SL30 does?

Any help is appreciated.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I believe it is possible to split the ARINC signals, as long as both receivers are listening for the same baud rate and protocol.