Updating firmware issues

CJW

I love flying!
For some or other reason I cannot seem to load new firmware on a Skyview classic.

And I get messages of “failed validation” and then “file has error”. This is also not the first time that this has happened and were I also unable to load a previous version as a result of the same issue.

The file was downloaded directly onto a memory stick with the required “.dup” afterfix.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so as to try and fix this problem?

CJW

I love flying!
Thanks for the reply. I’ll most certainly try another usb drive.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Also try plugging directly into the back of the panel with the drive. Some do not like the plug on the cable.

CJW

I love flying!
Tried today with another USB drive, but still the same “failed validation” and “file has error” messages. :-[

Will try to plug it directly into the unit itself over the weekend and thus eliminating the extension cable.

One other thing I noticed is that my license number for the unit itself” isn’t displayed anywhere. The serial nr for the display is “02990”.

RV8JD

The file was downloaded directly onto a memory stick with the required “.dup” afterfix.

I'm new to Dynon, and just updated to V15.3.3 on my SkyView Touch with no problem.

But what is the "required “.dup” afterfix"  you mention?

Thanks,

CJW

I love flying!
?As far as I understand the file “name” shouldn’t be changed in any way as otherwise it wouldn’t be recognized by the system and will it not upload? As I am no computer fundi I cannot I cannot give a better explenation of this.

Raymo

I love aviation!
RV8JD makes a valid point. You should not have had to change/add the ".duc" file extension. If you added it, you might now have fileName.duc.duc.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Are these DUP or DUC file names???

Perhaps your system added some additional text to the file name? This happened to me because I could not find the first download so I downloaded it again and the new file name was

"SkyView_15_3_3_US_Package_Classic_Feb28 (2).duc"

Make sure you format the thumb drive before you download the update.

Since I keep forgetting how to perform the updates I made my own instruction sheet and update log so here is the text of the update instructions in case you want to edit it to make your own

Dynon SkyView SOFTWARE UPDATE LOG

To Download New Update To Thumb Drive:
-Place USB thumb drive in left side USB port of HP ENVY computer. This is the E or F drive.
-Delete previous software version on thumb drive and format drive
-Open Windows Explorer
-Right click to select the E (or F drive),
-Select Format then press start
-Close Format box and Windows Explorer
-Download new software revision
-Go to http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-software-updates.php
-Select the “System Software (Classic/Touch/SE) tab
-Scroll down under the “Method 1: SkyView Update Package (US and Western Europe Only)” to the “SkyView Classic/Touch/SE 15.3.3 Software Package” section and press the blue Download button (takes three minutes to download)
-After download completes go to Chrome Menu (press three dots) and select “Downloads” and that will open Windows C drive folder then right click new download file name and press cut
-Find E (or F) drive and right click and select paste to move files directly to thumb drive
-Do NOT change file name
-Do NOT save file in subfolder
-Use Windows Explorer to verify new file is on thumb drive

To Upload New Update To Skyview:
-With SV powered on
-Plug USB drives back into the Instrument panel
-Press 7 and 8 buttons for 3 seconds.
-SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SOFTWARE > UPGRADE SYSTEM SOFTWARE…) > (one more right
click).
-Update the Software on the unit by pressing UPDATE then press CANCEL to return to the
SYSTEM SOFTWARE Menu.[ch8195]
VERSION DATE RELEASED DATE INSTALLED
15.3.3 3/12/2018 03/12/2018
NEW: SkyView can now update SV-ADSB-472 firmware via ADS-B STATUS menu.

15.2.0 6/13/2017 11/09/2017
11/14/2017 SkyView Classic/Touch/SE 15.2.0 Software Package
US Only Quick Update Package - (Updated: 11/09/2017)
Includes:
SkyView 15.2.0 Software Update (released 06/13/2017)
US Aviation Database: 11/09/17 release
US Obstacles Database: 10/12/17 release
EMS Sensor Definitions: 3/23/2017 release
US Stadium TFRs: as of late 2014

mrdaud

The file extension should be .duc per HB101's comment  .duc is a file extension like .doc or .exe that describes the type of file.  The .duc is a dynamic user configuration file for reconfiguring or updating  a system, although Dynon may be using it differently in a proprietary way.  Ray is correct that the file must be named exactly as posted by Dynon or it will not work.  I ran into trouble some time back on my Mac when I would use the "save as" function to save the file directly to the thumb drive.  It would mess up the .duc file extension and would not work properly.  I then saved directly to "Downloads" on my laptop and saved from downloads to the thumb drive, and it worked OK.  Apple must have fixed the problem in later OS updates because it now works to save directly to the thumb drive. The correct file name for Method 1, US/Western Europe is: SkyView_15_3_3_US_Package_Classic_Feb28.duc

CJW

I love flying!
Thanks for the replies. Indeed it should be a “.duc” afterfix, sorry for the typo.

File is definately correctly saved on the usb drive.

I have done about 3 firmware updates in the past without any hastle, so I am not completely new to the process. The last version installed somewhere last year was 15.0.3 if I remember correctly.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
One thing that is a pretty quick giveaway that something isn't downloading right is the file size. The latest .duc file for the US is 101Mb (101,655Kb as shown in the Windows file system).

Most people have their file extensions (.duc, .dup) hidden in windows, so in that case you would need to reveal it by right clicking > properties. There's also a setting in the explorer menu to not hide known file extensions, but then you can [often accidentally] change them more easily, so it's a mixed bag. SkyView uses the file extension as an indicator of the file type, but then does a deeper dive to confirm that the file is the real thing, structured correctly, and actually a complete and valid file.

mmarien

Murray M.
If it's a windows system you are using, you need to eject the thumb drive or it may corrupt the file you are saving or copying to the thumb drive. In windows Explorer right click on the drive and choose Eject. You'll get a notification that it is safe to remove the hardware. You can safely remove the thumb drive.