UPGRADE TO HDX FROM SKYVIEW TOUCH DISPLAY

GlastarJohn

I am considering doing an upgrade from a 10" SV-1000T to an HDX display. Is there a trade in program with D

Raymo

I love aviation!
Per prior posts from Dynon, there is no trade-in program. If there were, I'd take advantage of it too. I'll likely just sell my two 1000T screens to the highest bidder and do the upgrade that way.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Most are sold on the VAF forum, typically in the $2500-$3000 range. There is a 10" 1000T with engine monitor and AHRS for sale now.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There isn't one currently, but we'd like to offer one in the future. No promises at the moment though.

peter9545

I love flying!
The option to trade in for an upgrade for those who supported the company in the early years by purchasing the original Classic would be welcomed. Especially as the new iterations of software may not be wholly compatible with the older hardware.

GlastarJohn

I completed my purchase of a new HDX display from Aircraft Spruce. The panel opening for the 10 in HDX is not the same as for the SV-1000T
The HDX uses a slightly smaller opening in the panel. Not a big problem. New holes for the mounting screws on the bottom need to be drilled and new nut plates need to be installed. When done, there is a small opening along the bottom of the panel. I discovered Dynon supplies a black closing strip to close that space. Nice touch on the part of Dynon.
I had forgotten how many chores are involved in getting the display to recognize all the original sensors, and modules. I tried to import settings from the original SV1000, but I think they did not work. I have a good bit of work to do yet getting the new EMS display to show some of the things I had the original SV1000 doing. In particular, I had added a second Auxillary AMP sensor to monitor my back up B&C alternator. so far I have not figured out how put a second AMP wigget on my display. And I have no record of which wires that amp sensor was assigned to. I will need to do some flying now to calibrate the fuel flow sensor.
also AOA recalibrate, Pitch fine tune display etc etc.
I thought it was going to be an easy swap. Not so much. Still happy with the new HDX however

v1000

GlastarJohn

How do we create a new sensor that is not in the list on the EMS set up section. ? For Example Auxillary AMP I did this years ago with my original skyview classic, and then the skybiew touch. The new EMS widget for HDX seems different and I cant fint any procedure in the installation manual

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So almost everything should transfer over with a settings file export/import, with the exception of the bottom bar, which doesn't exist on your outgoing display.

As for creating a new sensor: Generically, assuming you are using a definition that already exists, you first need to enable the pin and sensor type in the pin mapping section of the EMS setup. You also give it any custom label here. Then, you need to place it using the layout editor for the pages (100%, 50%, bottom bar) that you want it displayed on. Once in the editor, you can customize the sensor style, size, etc.

TheFrisco

So almost everything should transfer over with a settings file export/import, with the exception of the bottom bar, which doesn't exist on your outgoing display.

As for creating a new sensor: Generically, assuming you are using a definition that already exists, you first need to enable the pin and sensor type in the pin mapping section of the EMS setup. You also give it any custom label here. Then, you need to place it using the layout editor for the pages (100%, 50%, bottom bar) that you want it displayed on. Once in the editor, you can customize the sensor style, size, etc.

Tomorrow the HDX is showing up. You say "almost everything" will transfer so what won't transfer beside the AoA and the bottom stripe which you sent me the cfg file for?

Thanks Robert

airguy

Tomorrow the HDX is showing up. You say "almost everything" will transfer so what won't transfer beside the AoA and the bottom stripe which you sent me the cfg file for?

Thanks Robert
I had to repeat my AOA calibration and autopilot servo calibration, other than that everything else came across.

TheFrisco

Done ... what a breeze this was. Here are the steps in more detail:
    • Download latest Dynon firmware to USB stick
    • Download bottom engine strip configuration file (see attached)
    • For wimps ... Read the instructions :)
  • OLD SKYVIEW
    • Export settings, data & waypoints to USB stick
    • Take picture of network setup
    • Unscrew & unplug
  • NEW SKYVIEW HDX
    • Plug cables and push into existing hole (same size)
    • Turn on, plug in USB stick
    • Update firmware ... Restart (not sure if necessary but I did)
    • Load settings & waypoints from USB stick ... Restart (not sure if necessary but I did)
    • Re-discover network items, check serial port connections ... Restart (not sure if necessary but I did)
    • Load bottomband.dfg ... Restart (not sure if necessary but I did)
    • Configure engine bottomband according to my needs
  • FLY
    • I didn't need to adjust the AoA but that might have been luck according to this thread, but not sure
All in all, the install was less than an hour and then flying because that I couldn't consider work LOL. Very happy and excited!

Attachments

• bottomband.dfg
    13.9 KB · Views: 339

TRCsmith

OK, so in my case I just received the HDX today. I have a problem, on my trip back from Barrow AK last week just before landing at my home base my SV went blank, like dead. I was unable to reset it so I'm sending to Dynon for the swap and hopefully can come someone make it alive long enough to do a backup and send it to me???

Rhino

You'll need to contact Dynon Support with that request.

And just to help you out in the future, when you click Reply in a post, it quotes that original post in a grey box. If you type a reply in that grey box, it becomes part of the quote instead of a reply. Your reply should be typed in the white space below the grey box. Makes it much less confusing to others. :)

1688909843568.png

Altocu

If / when Dynon allow non-US customers into new(ish) the upgrade program - is the HDX fully compatible with SV D1000? Would like to do an upgrade in two phases to spread cost, and also not grounding the aircraft while waiting for HDX to arrive. Can still fly it with one and then send the other one back.

Added whinge - Slightly annoying that the rest of the world are second class customers. probably licensing or agency issues, but it could have been sorted before the program was launched, instead of alienating the rest of the world who also support the company. Overseas customers would expect to pay extra shipping anyway. Actually, makes me think that I should just sell them and upgrade to a genuinely global avionics supplier...or use a US postal address to circumvent the system - might work?

Rhino

According to the install manual, the HDX and D1000 are still compatible, but won't stay that way. So, if you do mix them, you shouldn't plan on them staying compatible indefinitely.

Altocu

Thanks Rhino. Have to see if Dynon want to keep non US customers now, or whether I just start again.