USB Drives, Databases, and subscriptions

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I am just now getting back to working on my airplane...been a while...so can someone please help me remember how to manage my USB drives and the various databases?

I have a dual SV-1000 system and two SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drives. I just did the "Method One" database download. I have a Jeppesen subscription on my Foreflight. I will be flying IFR.

The questions are:
-Why did I need two of these flash drives?
-Do they need to be plugged in at all times?
-The installation manual suggests having a number of USB drives to
keep one for each of the various tasks, what is the best practice for this
(in other words how many USB drives should I maintain and for what
purposes)?
-Other than the Jepp on the Foreflight, can I add my Jepp subscription
to the SV in addition to the Foreflight?

This is just like being married...Please simply tell me what to do and I will do it...and...tell me what to buy and I will buy it.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Raymo

I love aviation!
I'm not using IFR charts yet but will try to answer.

-Why did I need two of these flash drives?
A: Each screen needs a drive to display the maps stored on the drive. Also for redundancy should one screen fail.
-Do they need to be plugged in at all times?
A: Yes, when you want IFR charts to be available for display.
-The installation manual suggests having a number of USB drives to
keep one for each of the various tasks, what is the best practice for this
(in other words how many USB drives should I maintain and for what
purposes)?
A: I like to use the screen capture (buttons 2+7) option but also for downloading logs for later review or upload to SAVVY for analysis. These would not be the same drive you keep your IFR charts.
-Other than the Jepp on the Foreflight, can I add my Jepp subscription
to the SV in addition to the Foreflight?
A: Only Seattle Avionics IFR charts are supported at this time. Also much less expensive than Jepp but many very much dislike their download manager.

RobertHamilton

Staff member
I will add some more background information.
* In general there are two types of data: vector and raster.
* Vector means a database of individual data points and features: like airports, airspace, obstacles, terrain, etc.
* Raster means an image type file, like an image of a Sectional, Low or High IFR, Airport Diagram, or Approach.
* SkyView stores vector files internally. So your terrain, Nav Data, Airspace, and Obstacles are always available. This data is updated and available every 28 days on the Dynon website. (Terrain is not updated that frequently.) You should update this data monthly to a USB stick, and load it onto one SkyView Display. That display will update the others.
* Raster data are large files. In the US they are available from Seattle Avionics. They are downloaded onto USB stick(s) from a PC, and then kept connected into the SkyView USB port(s).  One per display. 

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
THANKS for the quick reply.

Hmmm...so perhaps learning is taking place...

So I understand that when I update the "Vector" data from Dynon using the Method 1 (I need to insert the update drive into only one of the ports and this will update both SVs) then I can remove the USB drive and the SV system will run without any thumb drive inserted in the USB ports...IF...all I want to display is the "generic" map and terrain.

I guess I did not realize that the maps in SV were just "generic" maps and even though they show airways and such they are not a sectional or an IFR enroute chart.

If I wanted the IFR approach charts, airport ground charts, IFR enroute charts, and also the sectional then I would need to purchase Seattle and download that data onto a thumb drive and then once inserted into the SV USB port that "raster" data would be available to view on that one side SV. I assume that I would need two USB drives and have both SV displays show the charts.

So I guess it is best to have one USB drive for each of the following tasks:

-One thumb drive to download the Method 1 data (insert it into SV and then after the update remove it. The next 28 day cycle I should format the drive and then do the Method 1 again)

-Two thumb drives for the Seattle avionics and keep one drive installed in each screen at all times

-One thumb drive to be used for downloading the screen capture and also the engine run data and remove that drive after the download.

-One drive for user settings archive (download my user settings and then keep that drive with the aircraft logbooks...just in case)

Did I get it??? What am I missing?

THANKS AGAIN Guys!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

swatson999

You're overcomplicating things, I think.  Here's what I do, although I only have a single SV screen.

Two drives.  One stays in the computer to get both SA data downloads automatically, and I manually copy the SV data download to it when it's available (both datasets are on the same FAA 28-day cycle).  Swap the two and upload the new data from the drive once a month.  Logfiles get downloaded to the drive every flight or so, and when I get around to it, I take that drive and upload the data to SavvyAnalysis, as well as copy over any images I grabbed to my computer.

Configuration files change very rarely, so I just download those if I change something and copy them to my computer at that time.

Thumb drives can hold multiple types of data...you don't need one for each separate database, file type, etc.

ETA: And yesh, the SA data is terrific, but their application sucks big time. You'll get used to grumbling about it, I think we all have by now.

rkorff

I love flying!
Steve has pretty well nailed it on the SV USB data drives. I have dual SV-D1000s also, and use 4 drives like Steve uses his 2. Works fine. Also, remember that you will need a network cable between the 2 SV-D1000 units to download the Dynon data from one unit to the other; otherwise, you'll need to download the data separately to each. My question to you is: How are you going to fly IFR? Dynon equipment can't do it by itself. You will need some kind of certified IFR navigator such as a Garmin 430(W) unit or similar. That also requires a database subscription. You could use a Nav-Com unit and fly only ILS or Localizer approaches, but that's crazy in this age of GPS. With all the required subscriptions after initial equipment purchase, we sure do have a costly hobby, don't we?

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
THANKS guys for your quick response!!!

Yes I read and study and read and study the manuals(S) THOUSANDS of pages for ALL of the building/equipment/etc (cyber yelling intended) and sometimes that causes some over thinking...

>How are you going to fly IFR? Dynon equipment can't do it by itself. You will need some kind of certified IFR navigator such as a Garmin 430(W) unit or similar.

Funny you should ask...I was trying to meter in all of my MANY questions so as to not overtax the Dynon users in this User Group

I have a GTN-650 so that will require another subscription so the next question I ask is for a guy like me (Dynon SV and GTN and wants to fly IFR) what subscriptions should I maintain for this airplane?

I currently have:
-ForeFlight
-Jepp that is on the ForeFlight app.

I use both of these at work (they are paying for it :D) so I am thinking that the GTN subscription is all I really need now because the iPad will show the airports and the IFR/sectional/approaches)

kellym

I love flying!
THANKS guys for your quick response!!!

Yes I read and study and read and study the manuals(S) THOUSANDS of pages for ALL of the building/equipment/etc (cyber yelling intended) and sometimes that causes some over thinking...

>How are you going to fly IFR? Dynon equipment can't do it by itself. You will need some kind of certified IFR navigator such as a Garmin 430(W) unit or similar.

Funny you should ask...I was trying to meter in all of my MANY questions so as to not overtax the Dynon users in this User Group

I have a GTN-650 so that will require another subscription so the next question I ask is for a guy like me (Dynon SV and GTN and wants to fly IFR) what subscriptions should I maintain for this airplane? 

I currently have:
   -ForeFlight
   -Jepp that is on the ForeFlight app.

I use both of these at work (they are paying for it  :D) so I am thinking that the GTN subscription is all I really need now because the iPad will show the airports and the IFR/sectional/approaches)

I have 2 Classic Skyviews and GTN 650. I have Seattle Avionics subscription and Garmin subscription.
Charts are not available on the 650 in any readable form. The GTN 650 uses SD cards, and yes, a generic one works as long as it is 8GB or bigger, and you name it "Garmin".
I strongly suggest, if you get the Seattle Avionics charts, that you upgrade from your current USB 2.0 Fit drives to 32 GB USB 3.0 (or 3.1) UltraFit drives. Downloads and updates are noticeably faster. Currently around $10 ea from Amazon.
You can easily put the Dynon navdata update files on the same drives, no need for a separate dedicated drive, although Dynon usually has the navdata updates sooner than SA does for the charts.

GalinHdz

FWIW: I have two 7" Classic Skyviews and a G430W. I only subscribe to the Garmin Database which makes me IFR /G legal. But since I have the WIFI dongle, I use the DYNON database for my moving map and the free FltPlanGo app on an Android Tablet for charts/plates. This set up gives me three "screens" on which to display all the data. With 450+ hours using this set up I find it works extremely well for me. YMMV

23f2.jpg