v15 bug(?) - HSI no longer circular

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgabriel

I love flying!
On today's SV v15.0.2, the HSI and G meter is no longer circular...and it also gets worse on the 50% and 100% display sizes.  See attached screenshots.

Is this intentional/am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Gmeter.jpg
    Gmeter.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 137

preid

Did you change the EGT/CHT view? I know that was a new feature but not sure if it changes it to new vertical view by default.
What happens if you change the synvis view off of WIDE (Press PFD on the Main Menu, then press MODE and then press WIDE or whatever the other mode is) does it change the roundness?

mmarien

Murray M.
Cool. I like how they tweaked the PFD. I'm OK with the oval shape although I normally use the 40/40/20 layout and the HSI is pretty much round there. Can't wait to try it out. :) :)

lgabriel

I love flying!
Did you change the EGT/CHT view?
Yes, immediately!  I was really excited about that.

What happens if you change the synvis view off of WIDE
No effect.  I didn't think to take a screenshot, though--sorry.

I'm OK with the oval shape
Ha!  I can't handle it.  Admittedly, though, my days of using the HSI to do a manual fix-to-fix are probably over...

dutchroll

I've always felt Dynon would be better off going to a semi-circular compass rose when they're combining it on a PFD screen, which would save PFD real estate and still give more than enough navigation orientation information.

However regarding the odd shaped compass, entire human factors research papers have been written on gauge and display shapes and styles and I've never seen an oval shaped 360 degree dial in any of them! They don't exist in certified aircraft either.

vlittle

The reason for a circular (or oval) indicator is right in the name 'Horizontal Situation Indicator). It allows you to read course reciprocals directly, plus determine desired headings prior to a turn. Add in multiple Nav bugs, indicators and overlays and it provides all of the information required to know your situation.

The oval may seem odd, but it retains all of the HSI information. A heading arc or semicircle does not do this.

Vern

lgabriel

I love flying!
I disagree--for many situations, arc mode HSIs can provide more awareness of your horizontal situation. Take a look at the attached screenshot for an idea of what I'm talking about--a lot of airliner cockpits have a similar display. On the SV PFD screen, an arc mode HSI with course lines and waypoints could provide enough information that you wouldn't need the map page up as well.

Admittedly, the key is being able to toggle between arc mode and normal easily.

Regardless, this thread is about the aspect ratio of the HSI--no arc mode or circular HSI I've ever seen is oval, and certainly none of them change shape based on screen layout...

Attachments

• nd_lg.jpg
    nd_lg.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
The truth is that arc style or circular, both exist in aviation. But never an oval one!

n456ts

Do not write below this line
First step: A comment from Dynon as to the state of this change would be helpful. Was it an intended change or not?

Commentary: I hope it's a bug and will remain circular.

K

KRviator

The truth is that arc style or circular, both exist in aviation. But never an oval one!
Trutrak have a weird-shaped oval HSI on their EFIS. I could never bring myself to like it though.

dutchroll

The reason for a circular (or oval) indicator is right in the name 'Horizontal Situation Indicator).
I know what you're saying, but in the non experimental world, quite literally millions of instrument hours are flown in glass cockpits without ever looking at a 360 degree HSI on a PFD. It's only a personal opinion - reflected on thousands of glass cockpit displays around the world. Not saying it's bad - just that if they're tight for real estate, it might be something to think about. ;)

But anyway that's another discussion. It shouldn't be oval shaped, nor should the g meter, nor should it morph shape when page scaling is changed. That's just strange.  :)

Yes the Trutrak one is the only one I know of. It's not an elegant solution to screen real estate problems. It also doesn't sell very well!

cmgolden

I love flying!
Take a disc--a round cupholder will do (as would an old DG/HSI steam gauge lying around). Hold it vertically so 12 o'clock (or 360 degrees) is at the top. Tilt it forward slightly (away from you) so you are looking at the face at a slight angle (as if the airplane you could draw in the middle of the face is flying away from you somewhat and not straight toward the ceiling).

What shape is the disc in this perspective? ::) Looks like version 15's HSI. The ellipse shape doesn't bother me and if it gives a less obstructed view of the synthetic vision, even better.

swatson999

The reason for a circular (or oval) indicator is right in the name 'Horizontal Situation Indicator).
I know what you're saying, but in the non experimental world, quite literally millions of instrument hours are flown in glass cockpits without ever looking at a 360 degree HSI on a PFD. It's only a personal opinion - reflected on thousands of glass cockpit displays around the world. Not saying it's bad - just that if they're tight for real estate, it might be something to think about. ;)

Instead of either-or...how about make the choice optional, for the individual to decide? Best of both worlds, eh?

But anyway that's another discussion. It shouldn't be oval shaped, nor should the g meter, nor should it morph shape when page scaling is changed. That's just strange.  :)

Agreed. Should be circular. Making it oval-shaped is weird, adds nothing, and wastes screen real estate.

swatson999

Take a disc--a round cupholder will do (as would an old DG/HSI steam gauge lying around). Hold it vertically so 12 o'clock (or 360 degrees) is at the top. Tilt it forward slightly (away from you) so you are looking at the face at a slight angle (as if the airplane you could draw in the middle of the face is flying away from you somewhat and not straight toward the ceiling).

Take a compass card and tilt it thus. Now, what number is closest to your face? What number is furthest away? Which one is bigger? Is that your course? Nope...it's the reciprocal.

Mimicking such a set-up fully would be even more confusing...and unnecessary. Just make it round, like everybody else who does it, instead of trying to make a not-quite-3D "thing" on the screen.

I'm with the others who think this should be fixed, bug or feature.

swatson999

BTW...I've never seen a "Horizontal G-Meter"...

Which leads me to think: bug.

dutchroll

Instead of either-or...how about make the choice optional, for the individual to decide?  Best of both worlds, eh?
I think a PFD choice between a full or half compass rose, or a full rose versus a strip, would be a great idea to pencil in for a future software upgrade. There might be practical (or resourcing) reasons why Dynon wouldn't do it but the suggestion can't hurt.

But yeah I think the weight of opinion is that the morphing of the old circular HSI into a squished shape is a bit odd. It's especially odd in the g-meter, which I will be using a lot. I don't like a squished g-meter at all. Makes it look like I've overstressed the plane. ;D

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first, it's not a bug. The oval was original conceived as a way to allow the bottom engine band on HDX to co-exist with the HSI.

But, it also elongates the HSI slightly on the horizontal axis, which is where you typically care to see precision. So we decided to propagate it across the product. Note that when you're on the 40% page, you do get the round version.

Right now there isn't a way to change it, but all of that said, we're paying attention to feedback here and through our other feedback channels (email, phone support.)

lgabriel

I love flying!
If the intent was to increase precision, either an arc mode display (as previously discussed) or a magnified window section of the HSI would be appropriate.

As for precision coming from showing it as an oval, the biggest problem is that the precision is variable--both across the gauge itself, and depending on if you're viewing it at 40% or 50/100%. Regardless of the type of information displayed, it should be immediately clear what the scale is--with an oval, it is continuously changing. And no matter what, the gauge should be as consistent across the cockpit as possible!

Bottom line--an HSI is a representation of 360 degrees around a circle, and it should therefore be presented as a circle.

Also, the HSI on the 40% page is not circular; see screenshot attached. Actually, I noticed it was an oval on the 40% page first...then toggled and was even more horrified!

Attachments

• 40circle.png
    40circle.png
    415.7 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.