v15 bug(?) - HSI no longer circular

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
I think we should definitely have the option of making it a circle. With that option enabled, the horizontal size will be reduced with the vertical size unaffected so that it's circular while still fitting in with everything else. Yes this technically sort of reduces its precision but clearly a lot of us, myself included, would still prefer it that way.

n456ts

Do not write below this line
At least Dynon stopped ignoring the question and finally said something. It wasn't noted in the change log. Pretty big change if you ask me. For the many examples above, it should be a circle.

K

KRviator

If it is going to a vote, put me down for a circular HSI over an oval, though I would be quite happy with an arc too. But an oval? Yuck!

dutchroll

So ultimately it does seem to originate from a real estate issue.

If you want an interesting read, or want to have a hangar debate about strip versus dial presentation, instrument layout, how a partial compass rose ended up on the bottom of a PFD (blame Boeing), etc, have a look at ("Human Factors for Flight Deck Certification Personnel", US DoT, 1994. There's an extensive list of references for the human factors of cockpit design at the end too.

Compasses and HSIs on glass panel displays are circular, or the arcs of circles, to conform to the "principle of pictorial realism" (Chapter 6 of the reference). Even though I know the elliptical change is not dramatic enough to confuse anyone, it's also not particularly elegant and it does distort the mental model we all have of a compass.

krw5927

I love flying!
Agree with the others. An oval HSI is unacceptable. Really confuses things in an IFR environment when making XX degree turns for course reversals or hold entries. Didn't notice enough benefit with the new features to make it worth sticking with V15 and the oval HSI is sort of a deal breaker. (In fact, V15 screwed up my checklists too, in that the screen now accommodates exactly 1 fewer line than before.) Can I revert?

jlakins

My preference if for round HSI and a toggle button to go to ARC.
Do not like current display of HSI.

dzubot

I love flying!
I flew with V15 yesterday here's some video of the HW in the sky and the oval HSI in different views. Hopefully they fix this, i found it disturbingly distracting to look at when flying.

https://vimeo.com/190377001

preid

But, it also elongates the HSI slightly on the horizontal axis, which is where you typically care to see precision. )

how do we get more precision with the oval? Im all for more precision ;)

E

ed.meyer

Since HDX takes different software than previous Skyview, I don't see why the change was not limited to the HDX system especially with the change made to accommodate a feature specific to that system.

woodmanrog

I love flying!
I flew with the new system this morning and I did notice the oval shape of the HSI. Somehow, I didn't find any problem with the new shape. If you are that bothered by the shape, I think you are spending too much time looking at displays instead of out the window. JMTCW

n456ts

Do not write below this line
I think you are spending too much time looking at displays instead of out the window. JMTCW

A salesman might say the same about a scratch on your new car. I think it's best not to blame the customer.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Doesn't do any good to look out the window when you are in the clouds.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
how do we get more precision with the oval? Im all for more precision  ;)

If we make the HSI circular, we have to make it narrower. We're out of space to make it taller. With it being wider than tall, the numbers across your current heading and reciprocal heading are farther apart because that's the stretched axis. So 1 degree of turn moves the top of the arc more than it will if it was a pure circle. It also expands the width of the turn rate indicator making it more sensitive. This is probably the same reason the certified L3 Smart Deck used the oval HSI a decade ago.

None of this is to say we're not listening to customer feedback, but this is why we implemented it. We understand it's a very visual change, which can be uncomfortable, and we will be continuing to follow the feedback is after people have had more than 48 hours to experience it. We did a lot of beta testing on this release and we didn't get any feedback on the elliptical HSI.

mmarien

Murray M.
I'll probably get blasted for this, but it seems like a lot of rhetoric over an archaic gauge. I only look at the HSI out of curiosity. What information is there on the HSI that isn't on the MAP? Other than the MAP is better for situational awareness.

HSI.png

Status
Not open for further replies.