v15 bug(?) - HSI no longer circular

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgabriel

I love flying!
your current heading and reciprocal heading are farther apart because that's the stretched axis
But everywhere else loses precision, and at an unpredictable rate.  Tasks like spinning in a course, selecting a heading for a teardrop, planning an intercept, or eyeballing an initial heading for a fix-to-fix become variable and counterintuitive.

L3 Smart Deck used the oval
It hasn't exactly become the standard glass cockpit in GA.  By comparison, how many circular HSIs or EHSIs have been certified?

it's a very visual change, which can be uncomfortable
My issue isn't that the visual change is uncomfortable; it's that the change doesn't improve usage of the instrument.  Tapes are dramatically different from steam gauges and the change has definitely been uncomfortable for some, but they enable a much more integrated presentation of critical data.  I would completely agree with an oval HSI to increase the precision of the current heading and its reciprocal, if those were the only things I cared about on an HSI.

We did a lot of beta testing on this release and we didn't get any feedback on the elliptical HSI.
I really don't mean to overstep here, but expanding the beta test group demographics might be helpful.

All of that aside, I really appreciate the work that has gone in to the v15 release...and that you guys are willing to try new things.  It truly is the only way to improve.

jdubner

What information is there on the HSI that isn't on the MAP? Other than the MAP is better for situational awareness.
No blasting intended, but the whether round or not the HSI has the Course Deviation Indicator, Glide Slope Indicator, not to mention bearing pointers (needed for crossing radial indications on some approaches).  Agreed, the map obsoletes the need for an HSI to do a fix-to-fix but I couldn't fly an ILS approach without an HSI.

mmarien

Murray M.
Ok. I don't fly IFR so I'm just guessing, but the Cross Track info item on the map may be a good CDI. The purple line in the VSI isn't vertical guidance? I couldn't find anything on it in the User Guide. On the Skyview the GSI is outside the HSI so it could be anywhere on the PFD. or MAP. Perhaps next to the AOA. Who would have thought we'd be keeping an eye on the AOA rather than the ASI on approach.

Oval or not, we may be arguing about a gauge on it's way out along with the rest of the round gauges.

cvogelfly

I love flying!
Hi Dynon! Pleeeeeeaaaaase!!! Put back the circular HSI/G-Meter on 80% and 50% pages. It is very annoying the oval one that you put in the version 15. It is out of proportion! Because of this, I am thinking about going back to version 14.

cvogelfly

I love flying!
Since HDX takes different software than previous Skyview, I don't see why the change was not limited to the HDX system especially with the change made to accommodate a feature specific to that system.

I TOTALLY AGREE!

rfazio1951

I flew with version 15 yesterday for the first time. Flew two IFR approaches had HITS going and I loved it. I have no problem with the HSI. I tried all sizes and it works for me. I haven't tried all the new features yet but liked everything I did try. I say fly a bit and try getting used to it. The problem will go away.

jabarr

I've got to say that I flew with v15 and found no objection to the oval HSI.

skysailor

I strongly prefer a round HSI. I have not heard any one with a preference for oval so, at a minimum, I would like to have the option to keep it round in all circumstances. Visual HSI interpolation (using one or both of the other bearing pointers) is a skill I gained in flight training for the Navy. It is impeded by changing the shape of the HSI from round.

cmgolden

I love flying!
I flew the ellipse and managed to navigate and even land safely.

I actually vote to keep the ellipse (or at least retain it as a user-selected option). I agree the increased size of the turn-rate indicator and the top heading area is a nice improvement that most people may not have considered. I always thought the turn-rate indicator was minuscule (starting on the G1000 and all other round implementations--excepting, of course, the arc displays discussed above).

I suspect after putting some hours behind it, most won't be so bent out of shape by the ellipse--pun intended.

BMW_X6M

RV-9A O-320 Catto Prop. Dual HDX, ADSB GTN650
My eye caught this immediately. It reminded me of the TruTrak EFIS, which I always thought looked horrible, and wondered why anyone would have purchased those screens. This is a very disturbing change. Humans detect patterns, centering, and lack of symmetry, some more than others. The ovel is highly objectionable to me. The HSI must be a circle, it certainly is on a Garmin screen!

cvogelfly

I love flying!
In my opinion, having a different version of the HSI/G-meter, beeing circular in 40% screeen, and oval in all other screens is very annoying. Dynon, please put back the circular HSI back, or at least, an option that the user can choose with version he want's. If it will not possible, for sure I prefer downgrading (how can I do this?) to earlier version and loose all the new features.

krw5927

I love flying!
You know, you could hold off on uploading Ver 15 onto your system until this, and other issues, shake out.  Actually, you could just stay with Ver 14.  Some folks I know plan to do just that.

Cool, how do we revert back to the last V14?  A couple of us have asked for this now, after not liking what we've seen in V15.

Langdon

I love flying!
I found what I suppose is a glitch that allows some  HDX functionality on the D1000. Unfortunately it does not allow the EMS screen to resize along the bottom but there's an interesting couple of pages of icon controls. I'm guessing our software is not so different from the HDX which might offer an explanation as to why Dynon are reluctant to change the HSI back to round. Maybe we have the same software but don't have complete access. If this is the case, that Dynon are suppressing the better situational awareness provided by the improved screen layout, then I would be very disappointed. The great thing about Dynon is the continuing upgrade of Skyview via software. If great features are being denied to make the new HDX more attractive then that would be a change in their ethos as far as I perceive it.

Attachments

• P1010398.JPG
    P1010398.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 126

ned

I love flying!
Count me in for one that has no problem with the oval HSI.
In fact, I like it better. Thanks also for the extended center lines, Dynon.

cvogelfly

I love flying!
You know, you could hold off on uploading Ver 15 onto your system until this, and other issues, shake out.  Actually, you could just stay with Ver 14.  Some folks I know plan to do just that.

Cool, how do we revert back to the last V14?  A couple of us have asked for this now, after not liking what we've seen in V15.

I'd like to know how to revert to V.14 too!

Langdon

I love flying!
I too am happy with an HSI squashed oval by necessity to fit an updated layout, but not if it's just a byproduct of making the new product superior at our products expense. Sure we can work with it but let's be honest it looks like a mistake, it serves no benefit except to make room for something that's not there.

cvogelfly

I love flying!
AW139 (Agusta Helicopter)... Circular HSI!

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2016-11-07_at_10_06_47.png
    Screen_Shot_2016-11-07_at_10_06_47.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.