What do I need to install SV-AP-Panel in RV-12?

TomSwift

I love flying!
I have already installed the Dynon SV-AP-Knob module in our RV-12 with Dynon Skyview and 2-axis autopilot. Now I want to install the SV-AP-Panel in order to have Autopilot AutoTrim. I ordered the SV-AP-Panel from Dynon thinking it would include the needed cables, instructions, etc. It does not. Searching the Van's website and store, I see they sell a Knob and Panel for the RV-12 for $950, but I already have the most expensive parts and just need whatever cables are required to add the panel. I'm a bit confused by the various install sagas posted here because, in the end, I have to wade through epic stories of struggle, near failure, and eventual success. I just need a list of stuff, where to get it, and step-by-step instructions. I have reviewed Section 58 of the RV-12 KAI, but I don't have all the "stuff" that I need, Can someone help this very simple RV-12 owner?

jabarr

I have already installed the Dynon SV-AP-Knob module in our RV-12 with Dynon Skyview and 2-axis autopilot. Now I want to install the SV-AP-Panel in order to have Autopilot AutoTrim. I ordered the SV-AP-Panel from Dynon thinking it would include the needed cables, instructions, etc. It does not. Searching the Van's website and store, I see they sell a Knob and Panel for the RV-12 for $950, but I already have the most expensive parts and just need whatever cables are required to add the panel. I'm a bit confused by the various install sagas posted here because, in the end, I have to wade through epic stories of struggle, near failure, and eventual success. I just need a list of stuff, where to get it, and step-by-step instructions. I have reviewed Section 58 of the RV-12 KAI, but I don't have all the "stuff" that I need, Can someone help this very simple RV-12 owner?

See section 18 of the installation manual here—

DHeal

I used Van's kit to retro-install my SV-AP-Panel / SV-AP-Knob pair. It included all of the wiring and was easy to install. Perhaps Van's will sell you just the wiring harness portion of their kit?

kellym

I love flying!
I used Van's kit to retro-install my SV-AP-Panel / SV-AP-Knob pair. It included all of the wiring and was easy to install. Perhaps Van's will sell you just the wiring harness portion of their kit?
You want Van's wiring. IIRC they use Molex connectors, where Dynon's cables use DB-9 connectors.

jakej

FWIW - if you consider any avionics to be necessary then I'd go for at least the Dsub connectors as they are much less likely to 'fail'- the supplied molex can suffer from oxidization/corrosion & the sockets can spread open (with handling during connection/disconnects) causing faults that you don't need or want - cheap is not always better IMO - YMMV.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Where are you located, Tom? I'd suggest finding someone in your area to help. You'll need to redo some of the trim control wiring, including the removal of trim relays from the system.

ned

I love flying!
Call Vans and order
1ea BAG2875 misc. install hardware
1ea F-00073 template
1ea WH-00105 wire harness

Everything needed for install minus panels

TomSwift

I love flying!
I ordered the necessary parts to install my SV-AP-Panel, and finished that up recently. I was able to detect the panel in the Skyview Network, then configure it under hardware configuration, then test the motor successfully. The test allows one to execute trim up and down commands from the Skyview monitor, rather than the installed trim switch on the RV-12 panel. I confirmed visually that it worked correctly and fully.

During flight testing, however, the autotrim did not seem to function. In fact, trim became increasingly incorrect to the point that I had to disconnect the AP, at which point a sudden and alarming pitch trim occurred. I changed trim speeds a bit in the configuration settings to no avail. Reading the logs at the time we purchased the aircraft in 2018, I noted that during the first test flight, the builder discovered he had wired the trim controls backward, and that he changed that, and it does work normally.