What remote control grip functions do you have enabled?

MN_Flyer

I am planning out the buttons on my control grip and was wondering what functions others are using to the Skyview.

I know that I want trim, AP disconnect, PTT, and ident. I thought about COM flip-flop, but worry that I may accidentally bump it. Is there a way to recall preset PFD layouts via contact closure? Anything else that the brain-trust would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! Happy New Year!
Dan

swatson999

Why would you put Ident on there? It's used maybe a couple of times on a flight...not enough to make it a candidate for the stick grip, PLUS the possibility of inadvertent activation. Some people put COM flip-flops on there, but I don't see a need for that. Unless you have a stick that is positively festooned with available buttons, put the most-used things on there, and leave the lesser-used items up on the panel.

I have Trim (Elev and Aileron), PTT, A/P D/C, and Smoke :).

ETA: Oh, and one thing I would *never* put on a stick is the Engine Start function.

Flame away!

MN_Flyer

Thanks for the ideas swatson999.

Smoke would be fun!!! Agree on the engine start button; I don't like buying new ring gears!

The control grip that I am planning to use has a finger trigger and a small button under that as standard, so I figured ident would be useful and not interfere with my flight if I accidentally pressed it. I really don't want a bunch of confusing buttons and extra stuff to get in the way, so trying to have an efficient system. I will have to think over the ident function. Normally departure is a busy time and my thinking was that I can avoid having to change menus to ident, but maybe I am making this too complicated.

GalinHdz

FWIW: I have Trim (Elevator/Aileron), Radio PTT, Fuel Pump, COMM flip-flop, NAV flip-flop, and IDENT on my stick. I don't have electric flaps or that would have on the stick instead of the fuel pump. IOW everything I would need during an instrument departure/approach in actual IMC where I need to be concentrating on flying the airplane and not searching for switches on the panel.

After 1,000+ hrs (200+ of actual IMC with 150+ approaches) I am so glad I have this setup. YMMV

INFINITI Grip.jpg

Last edited:

rfazio1951

To each his own. Do your your way. I fly IFR a lot and mine works great. I’ve got PTT, radio flip flop, ident, radio frequency roll, and flaps. Oh I forgot AP disconnect and straight and level button.

Last edited:

Raymo

I love aviation!
Infinity grips:
PTT
AP Disconnect
Radio FF (rarely used - wouldn't do it again)
Trim (coolie hat)
Flaps
Missile launcher (unused, really, but that's what I tell passengers)

Only put engine start if you have a separate start enable/disable switch
Ident would be seldom used, IMO. You are already in the menu when setting a squawk code. I rarely am requested to ident when VFR but it has happened and would use the stick button, if it were there.

XPRSAV8R

Infinity grips:
L button: AP disconnect
Hat: trim
R switch: flaps
Trigger: PTT
Thumb trigger: Radio FF
Pinky trigger: LEVEL button

DBRV10

I am not a fan of anything else but PTT, Trim, and AP disconnect.

There is no compelling argument for any others, except on a tail wheel, like an RV8 where you might want engine start and hold the stick back while using your other hand for mixture. But if you do have a start isolate switch for after start.

Other things like flaps etc can be easily turned on or off. I mean will, do and have done and will do again.

jakej

The only way I'd have a starter switch on the stick is if it's connected to a VPX system as it automatically disables the starter circuit above 500 rpm, people can & do forget to use other 'isolate' methods.
likewise with the flaps, it's impossible to lower the flaps when you are above the max flap speed that you set in the VPX menu - you can raise the flaps when you forget as a voice says ' FLAPS OVERSPEED' - another neat feature. :)

XPRSAV8R

The only way I'd have a starter switch on the stick is if it's connected to a VPX system as it automatically disables the starter circuit above 500 rpm, people can & do forget to use other 'isolate' methods.
likewise with the flaps, it's impossible to lower the flaps when you are above the max flap speed that you set in the VPX menu - you can raise the flaps when you forget as a voice says ' FLAPS OVERSPEED' - another neat feature. :)
And that's one of the many reasons that I have a VPX.

DBRV10

And that's one of the many reasons that I have a VPX.

That is a cool gadget that prevents the starter being engaged while the engine is running as Jake pointed out. But that is not my point. This feature DOES NOT WORK when you need it the most. A master switch on, and people moving about the plane and the start button is easily depressed by a hand, foot or other object. Someone gets killed or injured.

The compelling argument is for a tailwheel aircraft to have start on the stick. I get that. So I will say again for clarity, use a switch under a switch guard that has to be lifted and the switch pushed up in order to start the engine. Once started close the switch guard. Only ever arm it prior to a deliberate and intended start.

Most aircraft : Leave the start on the panel with a suitable pushbutton or key switch that is not easily engaged by accident.
Some aircraft : Have a stick pushbutton and a start isolate.

Remember there are two ways to appear in a coroners court hearing, neither of the is good.

Corefile

what is the recommended button type for the AP disconnect button that would be mounted in a yoke, is it just any momentary switch like a PTT?

swatson999

Most aircraft : Leave the start on the panel with a suitable pushbutton or key switch that is not easily engaged by accident.
Some aircraft : Have a stick pushbutton and a start isolate.

Remember there are two ways to appear in a coroners court hearing, neither of the is good.

I don't fly a taildragger, so I dunno s**t from Shinola about it, but...

Anyone ever consider switching (no pun intended) the functions? The *enable* switch on the stick, and the start switch under guard on the panel?

Just thinking out loud...

sunfish

I love flying!
Some Seven year old boys this weekend proved the value of having a keyed switch in the starter circuit. The little devils were strapped in and had the master switch, ECU and pumps on while i was still helping their parents unload their car! Their father owns a car dealership and he is soon going to be in a world of pain unless he can teach the sons why you DON’T press that button.

Stick has PTT, elevator trim and AP disconnect.

jakej

....or you could have a simple remote toggle switch (eg,mounted behind the panel) in series with the batt master switch - nothing can be turned on that way so no flat battery either ;)

DBRV10

I don't fly a taildragger, so I dunno s**t from Shinola about it, but...

Anyone ever consider switching (no pun intended) the functions? The *enable* switch on the stick, and the start switch under guard on the panel?

Just thinking out loud...

No, you want the isolate on the panel and the start P/B on the stick. This way you control the start while holding the control surfaces.

swatson999

No, you want the isolate on the panel and the start P/B on the stick. This way you control the start while holding the control surfaces.

Both hands kinda work the same, at least on my body. :) I'm pretty sure I could hold the stick back and press on an enable button with either hand, it seems to me, and use a finger on the other hand to press a starter button or switch. With that setup, if I got all fat-fingered on the stick for whatever reason, worst I could do is momentarily toggle the Enable portion of the circuit to ON.

Granted, I think the idea of putting enable switches on sticks, or installing the ever-popular "hidden" switch, or whatever, is pretty obtuse. This is what they make *keyed* switches for, and why I have one on my aircraft, immediately adjacent to the start engine pushbutton, on the dash.

DBRV10

Unless you have three hands it is pretty hard to hold stick back, press another button and run the mixture up from ICO when it fires......but hey if you are quick enough....... :)