What works and what does not when adding a Skyview HDX to an existing system with a Skyview Classic

9krpm

I love flying!
I am upgrading my avionics and planning to add a Skyview HDX to my current panel with a Skyview Classic, IFD530, GNS430 & Garmin CDI, TruTrak AP and ADSB-472.
I read from Dynon that connecting the HDX and the classic is not ideal but I am not ready for 2x HDX EFIS' yet.

What features will not work and what may still work?

DBRV10

You will have two seperate systems. You could for example run the EMS on the classic, and run the GPS/AP etc on the HDX, but that would be the only practical solution.

HDX is a completely different software suite and cannot be run on the same system network. Either dig deeper to buy the HDX x 2 now, or hold up and save up for two in the future. The change over is simple.

9krpm

I love flying!
Thanks David.
Wiring them up separately will loose it’s full redundancy capability. I may have to dig deeper.

Hypothetically if I wired them up together in one system what will happen?

9krpm

I love flying!
Thanks David.

I am trying to see if I could have the EMS data on both system (with one unit of EMS). If that is possible then I could delay the 2nd HDX for a bit later.

At what stage will the system throw this network code David? Is it as soon as the Classic is hooked up to the skyview network (which has the HDX) or when the Classic is hooked up to this skyview network AND the ethernet cable between the Classic and the HDX?

Thanks in advance

9krpm

I love flying!
Thanks Mark.
I'll give it a try first and see what will happen since it's practically my 3rd standby equipment unless I can sell it and chip in for a 7" HDX before the final in nstallation.

I'll hook it up to the skyview network and leave the ethernet cable from the 10" HDX unconnected.

If it does not work, I can always do the upgrade later on since the panel cut out for the 7" Classic and HDX looks the same.

Many thanks for your help.

Raymo

I love aviation!
When the HDX first came out, it was compatible with SV Touch/non-Touch but they said then they did not support a mixed install and updates to the systems would eventually remove compatibility.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So here's the whole story: There are some things about SkyView Classic/Touch's software architecture that make it harder to develop on against vs HDX. So, we made an early decision - much like we did with SkyView vs the earlier D10/D100 series, to treat SkyView HDX as its own product so that it's not encumbered by future compatibility issues. This also helps keep the robust set of testing that we perform as we develop and release software in a reasonable place.

Behind the scenes, the moment that HDX shipped, the codebases were so similar that everything basically worked. It may even be the case today, but we're not tracking it (it's not a supported configuration). BUT, and this is very important: we don't do any compatibility testing between the systems (again, it's not a supported configuration). If there are compatibility bugs that crop up when an HDX is connected to a Touch/Classic. One more thing - even though things may APPEAR to work well, there are a lot of behind the scenes things going on, such as configuration settings syncing between displays, that may not be obvious immediately when they don't work right, but which can cause unexpected behavior.

9krpm

I love flying!
Thanks Dynon.
I don't intend to connect the Ethernet cable between the HDX and Classic screens. I originally intended to connect the Classic to the Skyview network only to obtain the EMS and the ADAHRS information. It's a backup system along with a G5.

Does the 2 screens communicate between each other through the Skyview network as well? If they do, I will follow your advice and leave the Classic out for now, until I have enough for another HDX screen. It's on the copilot side so is not too essential for the main operation.

Raymo

I love aviation!
The Ethernet cable has nothing to do with synchronizing settings between screens - that is done over the SV network. The Ethernet cable allows the monthly map updates to flow from one screen to the other - so you don't have to update each screen individually.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So to be clear, we're talking about SkyView Network, which is how the vast majority of inter-screen communications are handled. Ethernet is only used for database syncing. We'd recommend not connecting the SkyView HDX to the Classic.