Whats next

CBarber

I can't articulate why, but I too like the engine info along the bottom of the screen.

Sometimes I feel this forum should have a "like" button so I can express agreement without a somewhat frivolous post. Guess I spend too much time on Facebook......

Oh, an Air/Fuel indicator would be nice for my rotary.

mmarien

Murray M.
Oh, an Air/Fuel indicator would be nice for my rotary.
Try these guys. The wideband O2 sensor puts out a 0-5V signal that Skyview can read.

http://www.plxdevices.com/

Much better for setting LOP then EGTs. My O2 sensor has ~200 hours and still working. :)

AFRnew.jpg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm just saying... if Jeppesen and PocketFMS want to compete for my business, they should offer free trials on the SV system.  Dynon could broker this, I'm sure.  Just offer a free evaluation period.

As an FYI, we attempted to get both Jeppesen and PocketFMS to offer evaluations back when we implemented support for them, but it wasn't in either of their business models to do so.

Additionally, the $500 map license is not for data. It's for the IP represented by the huge amount of work a first-class mapping system requires. We just happen to be able to give away data for free in the USA because it's free to us and very little work.

skysailor

To be completely accurate, the data is not free in the USA. It was paid for by the taxpayers in this country who are able to access it thereafter. If you live in the USA and pay your taxes, you have paid for this data.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello dynon, it´s been almost 2 months than the 7 release introduced and always noting about européen charts ? Do you have any solution for this important customer request ?

DonFromTX

I love flying!
Surely you are not burning 100LL and getting that life out of an O2 sensnor?
[quote
Try these guys. The wideband O2 sensor puts out a 0-5V signal that Skyview can read.

http://www.plxdevices.com/

Much better for setting LOP then EGTs. My O2 sensor has ~200 hours and still working. :)

preid

going back to the EMS on bottom, I think it would be great if like the sister company picture attached, the EMS could be on the bottom or center (as is now) but transparent, so one could see more of the MAP and PFD behind the EMS info.

Attachments

• EMS_on_bottom.jpg
    EMS_on_bottom.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 88

rfazio1951

mmarien would you mind explaining what you did with the air/fuel ratio setup? I see you've got the O2 sensor, what else did you have to do to get it working?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
To make it clear- we aren't working on the EMS at the bottom of the screen right now. We are working on data for European charts, which is what Andrieu asked about.

ggerhardt

As an alternative to EMS on the bottom, a remote switch that could be put on the yoke or stick that could toggle between two screen display modes would be great. Then, engine monitor could be checked easily by switching the map with EMS page briefly.

Geoff

DonFromTX

I love flying!
Sure glad you qualified that by saying "right now"! At least it has not been dismissed forever.
To make it clear- we aren't working on the EMS at the bottom of the screen right now. We are working on data for European charts, which is what Andrieu asked about.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We rarely dismiss things forever, though some things never get to the top of the list :)

One major issue with EMS instruments as a horizontal strip is that they would eat a bunch of the available vertical space on the PFD, would require substantial rework of the layout (note that there's not a ton of "squishability" in the current layout, and it doesn't quite fit into the current vertial paging paradigm that exists.

mmarien

Murray M.
Surely you are not burning 100LL and getting that life out of an O2 sensnor?
Yes - on both accounts. I'm not sure how long it will last. I thought I would have to replace it regularity but it keeps on working. The GEN-3 sensor module from PLX Devices now has an O2 Sensor Health function to monitor the life of the sensor which would be nice.

mmarien would you mind explaining what you did with the air/fuel ratio setup? I see you've got the O2 sensor, what else did you have to do to get it working?
Install the O2 sensor in the exhaust. Robert from EFII said to mount it in one pipe close to the cylinder much like an EGT probe. The heat will keep the lead burnt off. Mine is mounted just past my 4in1 collector pipe and seems to be working fine there. The sensor module from PLX Devices needs +12V input and outputs a 0-5V signal. Connect the output wire to one of the Enhanced General Purpose pins on the EMS harness and add this to your settings file.

Code:
; my sensor definition for the oxygen sensor.
sensor={
     id=AIR FUEL RATIO
     function=PRESSURE
     pins=C37_P8 C37_P22 C37_P31
     name=AFR
     min_val=10.0
     max_val=20.0
     resolution=1
     round=0.1
     is_piecewise=0
     low_coeff={
           c_x4=0
           c_x3=0
           c_x2=0
           c_x1=2.0
           c_x0=10.0
           }
     low_resistance=NONE
     low2high_cross=0
     high_coeff={
           c_x4=0
           c_x3=0
           c_x2=0
           c_x1=0
           c_x0=0
           }
     high_resistance=NONE
     high2low_cross=0
     window=.2
     shift=3
     age=16
     }
You can then add the gauge to your ENGINE page like any other gauge.

dabear

We rarely dismiss things forever, though some things never get to the top of the list :)

One major issue with EMS instruments as a horizontal strip is that they would eat a bunch of the available vertical space on the PFD, would require substantial rework of the layout (note that there's not a ton of "squishability" in the current layout, and it doesn't quite fit into the current vertial paging paradigm that exists.

Speaking of paradigm's....

do you think you guys could build a paradigm shifter? I keep hearing about shifting paradigms and it then would lead to potential development of warp bubbles....

mmarien

Murray M.
What kind of numbers do you ideally want from the gauge?
Depends on what you are looking for. Peak EGT is 14.7:1. This is the stoichiometric mixture. The air fuel mixture where there is enough oxygen to burn all of the fuel. It gives the peak exhaust gas temperature but is not the best power or best fuel economy peak. Lean of that, the extra air is cooling the engine and rich of that the extra fuel is doing the cooling. Here are the power efficiency curves.

Ideal-stoichiometry.jpg

I run peak EGT or leaner (15:1) at cruise. The power starts to drop fairly rapidly leaner than that. For takeoff/climb I run about 13:1. Robert at EFII was an excellent source of information when I installed my electronic fuel injection system.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's worth noting that the "best fuel economy" on that chart is actually "lowest SFC" (specific fuel consumption). This is where the engine is most efficient in a test cell, but may not be where the airframe is most efficient.

The Dynon systems show you MPG over the ground, which factors in all elements that effect your fuel economy, and if you really are trying to minimize fuel used to get from A to B, this is the number you really want to use.

vlittle

It's worth noting that the "best fuel economy" on that chart is actually "lowest SFC" (specific fuel consumption). This is where the engine is most efficient in a test cell, but may not be where the airframe is most efficient.

The Dynon systems show you MPG over the ground, which factors in all elements that effect your fuel economy, and if you really are trying to minimize fuel used to get from A to B, this is the number you really want to use.

I use this feature all of the time... actually NM/L. It really helps to understand the fun/fuel tradeoff.