WIFI Problems

rfazio1951

Still the same problem with WIFI. I have two 10" screens. wifi dongle in both. I continue to get incorrect password when I try to connect. I tried changing the password at the suggestion of Dynon support and it worked for one flight. Then right back to incorrect password. I think it has to do with the fact that I have two screens. When I shut down one screen it works perfectly. Either screen will work when on alone. I even bought a new wifi dongle thinking one was bad. Tried it in each screen, no difference.
Then I'll fly and it will work for one flight, just for fun. Then the next flight NG.
What's going on with this? Anyone else having wifi problems?

preid

Can’t you just remove the password and not require it? Who is going to hack your connection in the air 😂

rfazio1951

No, you can't. The Skyview requires an 8 digit password. So I've been making it an easy one, like 11112222. But what ever I do it doesn't work right.

JTD

I have the same problem. Sometimes it works and auto connects, most of the time it won’t connect or recognize my password. Dynon really needs to address this.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Mine recently did what you are describing. I just went into the WiFi password and saved it again without changing. Haven't had a problem since. Make sure your Ethernet cable is connected (not sure if it matters).

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I am putting together an engineering investigation into these issues. Please send me an e-mail at support@dynonavionics.com
I need to know what Ipad you are using, operating system version, Foreflight or FlyQ version, SkyView software version. If you have a recent flight and can document the startup times as well as the drop out time I would be interested in getting diagnostic files from you from both screens. Also helpful, if you can remember the time frame these issues began.

rfazio1951

Ok I will get you the info you are requesting. I’m going out to the airport tomorrow.

rfazio1951

DJones,

I have included the items you requested:

1. The iPad I am using is an iPad Mini 5th generation, model number MUXF2LL/A
2. The iPad operating system software version is 13.5.1
3. I am using Foreflight Version 12.6 (58284), Pro Plus USA
4. Skyview Version 15.4.7 the latest.
5. I have 2 Skyview 10" screens, one is a Touch and one Classic.

I took a recent flight on 8/19/20. The flight was about a half hour. When I started up the Skyview screens I was surprised that the iPad connected right away. I saw it connected in the iPad wifi setting page. If I remember correctly, it then disconnected while taxiing out for take off. I went again to the wifi settings page and tapped on skyview to connect and got the dreaded incorrect password. I could not connect for the rest of the flight.

I have attached the two diagnostic files from the screens. If you have any questions you can email me or call me.

Richard Fazio

Attachments

• 2020-08-20-N966RV-SN21426-15.4.7.5568-AAA123-DIAGNOSTIC_DATA.zip
    132.8 MB · Views: 195
  • 2020-08-20-N966RV-SN2485-15.4.7.5568-BBB123-DIAGNOSTIC_DATA.zip
    131.7 MB · Views: 166

rfazio1951

Flew yesterday and had the same issue. I also tried connecting my phone, just for fun. It’s an iPhone 6S plus. Same thing, incorrect password.

rfazio1951

I went flying yesterday and the WIFI worked perfect. It was a three leg flight, totaling about two hours. I shut down and restarted on each leg. Each time the iPad connected perfectly and remained connected the entire flight. This hasn’t happened in months. When I started the first time I reset the password in the Skyview, I go back and forth with easy passwords. I went from YYYYZZZZ to 11112222. I then connected my iPad and iPhone. They both connected. The only thing different was I did just update both the iPad and iPhone, with version 13.6.1. Now I’m seeing another update. I think I’m sticking here for a bit. To see if I still connect.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Richard,
Keep me updated, it has been my theory it has something to do with software or hardware on the Ipad side as my 7 gen 10.1 never loses connection.
It will be interesting if yours continues to work.

rfazio1951

Went flying yesterday, turned on my iPad after the Skyview screens were up and running and the dreaded “incorrect password” popped up again! Same iPad and phone I used last flight. Tried to input the password, no good. I could not connect at all for the 1.1 hour flight.

rfazio1951

The latest flight went well. I’m finding that if I get the dreaded “incorrect password”, I change the password in the Dynon and then try again with the iPad. When I get the incorrect password again, this time valid, because I did change it, I change it to the new one in the iPad, and it connects. I flew out and back stopping at the other airport. It reconnected at startup coming home. Changing the password in the Dynon, each time I get the message seems to help. So, of course I use a real simple one. I’m hoping this is a clue as to what is going on.

It’s a bit of a pain, having to go into setup in the Dynon and changing the password, but if this gets it to work, ok. I’m going to keep doing it. I thought I had tried this before and then still got the “incorrect password” message. Maybe I’m wrong, I’ll keep doing it to see what happens and keep you posted.

Eugr

Thanks Richard,
Keep me updated, it has been my theory it has something to do with software or hardware on the Ipad side as my 7 gen 10.1 never loses connection.
It will be interesting if yours continues to work.

Another data point. Dual screen HDX 10” with Wi-Fi adapters in both screens. Connected just fine at first, then I manually disconnected it on iPad (as I needed internet access) and when I tried to reconnect it wasn’t able to establish a connection until I restarted the screens. iPad Pro 12.1, 3rd generation (2019), latest iOS.

rfazio1951

Flew yesterday, and the same “incorrect password” problem. I changed the password in the Dynon and connected fine. The return flight connected fine. Changing the password does something for sure. I keep going back and forth with easy passwords. 11111111, then yesterday to 21111111. Next time I fly I’m going to try just forgetting the network on the iPad and then reconnecting using the same password.

Eugr

FWIW, I wasn’t getting incorrect password message, it just couldn’t connect to it (timed out) until I restarted the screens.

rfazio1951

I sometimes get “unable to connect”, I guess it times out, and then when I retry I get incorrect password. Try changing the password in the Skyview and then the iPad.

rfazio1951

Today a different scenario. I started the plane and the Skyview screens. I then tried to connect the iPad. Nothing happened. I went into setup on the iPad and looked in WiFi setup. There was no WiFi a available. I shut off the WiFi switch on the iPad a couple of times, nothing. The I tried it on my phone. No WiFi available. I went into the setup on the Skyview, changed the password again, from 22222222 to 11111111, and exited setup. It popped up on the iPad, I changed the password in the iPad and it connected instantly. What the heck is going on!

Douglas

Richard, I too have had the exact same issues with Dynons WiFi connection, literally word for word. Sometimes I would get “wrong password“, sometimes “unable to connect”. I thought there may have been some sort of disruption between the two WiFi dongle‘s inserted in the USB ports on the back of the HDX units, so I bought Dynons usb extensions and mounted them through the panel up front were there would be no possibility of electrical interference. Still no success-
Sometimes wifi connected and I would lose it right away, sometimes on a one or two hour leg it’ll lasts half of the time. On a few flights it didn’t drop the signal at all, so I felt like I had to figure out what I did different that day. Well, I quickly came to the conclusion there was nothing that I could do to predict it’s intermittent nature.
One note- I have noticed that when the Wi-Fi signal goes away the traffic avoidance information shown on the HDX also becomes intermittent or nonexistent. If you’re having this problem pay very close attention to that…

I too have called and spoke with Dynons technical support team, which I have to say are friendly and knowledgeable, but had no info on a remedy. I have bought new Wi-Fi adapters, changed passwords hundreds of times and checked wiring for loose connections or possible malfunctions.
During a recent flight I became so distracted trying to get it to reconnect that I found myself in a “near miss” situation, also no target shown, wifi dropped…After that I was DONE!
So, I decided I would just buy a portable ADSB unit, at this point at least I can stop worrying about this issue. I now have the information on my iPad that I need and my logbook and stored flight tracks work perfectly. Also, If it appears that the traffic avoidance guidance has been lost on the HDX at least I can verify it with the back up …

So…for about $500 I now have reliable ForeFlight and reliable traffic guidance shown on my IPad…

Hopefully Dynon can come up with a solution to this problem quickly…

-I must admit It’s really an unfortunate situation though, after spending a bunch of money on Dynons equipment, these nagging, aggravating problems tarnish my opinion on an otherwise really well equipped and useful product…

rfazio1951

Doug,

What version of the Dynon software are you using? Since I went to the version 16.0.1, I have not had connection problems. I noticed there is a newer version 16.0.4 out just recently and will try it out. The only issue I find now is that Forflight connects, gives me traffic, and I can send flight plans, but doesn't always know what plane I'm in for the logbook? Strange but not a real problem. It used to always know the plane and my plane would show up in the logbook. Now Sometimes I have to tell the logbook what plane I was flying. Not really a big problem, just strange. Update your software, I have a felling it will work better for you.

RF