Windows 10 (ugh!) and the D100/120 support program

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
Hi all.

I have a windoze 10 slaptop, a nice shiny new Dell one, that I bought specifically for supprting my D100/D120/AP74 installation in the jolly old RV6.
It was bought last July and I used it to successfully extract and reset the logs from my D100/D120. I used the same USB - 9 way DSub cable as I had successfully used before on my previous (work) Windoze 7 laptop.

That was all fine and dandy. :cool:

Last week I was doing the annual on the plane so I thought I would get the latest logs to feed to my engine status spreadsheets so I can check trends, anomalies - the whole 9 yards...
Connected the slaptop to the D120 with the aforementioned cable. First checked that the support prog was talking to the EMS by requesting the version. Yellow EMS screen - nothing on slaptop and then an error relating to COM5 followed by the support program falling over.
Left with yellow screen of death on EMS. Took a punt and shut down EMS. On restart it was fine. Tried a different USB port (the Win 7 laptop was a bit particular about ports) but same result on all of them.

Tried it on the EFIS (without thinking it through).
Same story, but couldn't shut it down! Had to remove the unit and then disconnect the internal battery. :'(
Luckily it started up again OK.

The only difference from last July is that Microshaft has been b*****ing about with windows and forcing it down our throats. :mad: Presumably the drivers for the cable are now incompatible with the Dynon units, Windows 10 or my inside seam measurement or something.

I have found some 'newer' drivers and will try them on the EMS D120 this week, if I am feeling lucky (well, do I, punk!). :eek:

Just thought I'd share my misery and see if anybody else has anything to share on the subject.

Robski

Oh well - found the issue.

Because I don't let microshaft and windoze 10 free rein to use up all my internet allocation it seems to ignore driver updates (wish it would ignore all updates :mad: ) so when I explicitly asked it about the usb/serial driver it then - reluctantly - admitted it needed an update.

Now seems to work. Until next time, anyway...

Raymo

I love aviation!
Windows Update use the BITS service to download updates. There is no need or reason to restrict its use because it does so automatically. Blaming MS for a restriction you imposed is a bit silly :D

You can also turn off automatic updates and do them manually, which most business do because they want to test and validate they do not interfere with application functionality (especially in the healthcare arena).

Robski

Windows Update use the BITS service to download updates. There is no need or reason to restrict its use because it does so automatically.
Yes there is - I have limited internet (both speed and download capacity) and windoze will eat all of it and more besides if you let it.

Blaming MS for a restriction you imposed is a bit silly :D
I blame MS for being inconsistent. Win 10 moans endlessly to make me put the latest OS update crud on but says nothing at all about driver updates.

You can also turn off automatic updates and do them manually, which most business do because they want to test and validate they do not interfere with application functionality (especially in the healthcare arena).
No you can't - not in home edition (and it's limited in Pro too). Best you can do is set the update to a time the PC will definitely be off but it rails against this after a while too!

I have just retired after 30 years in IT: trust me - I know how useless and evil MS are.

Note to Dynon - can we have a Linux support program, please?