Yaw Damper for RV10

GaryK

I love flying!
Dynon,
Any news on when you'll be releasing documentation on installation and operation of the new Yaw Damper announced a few weeks ago. Also what is the timeframe for product ready to ship.

Thanks
Gary

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The two supported airframes will be the RV-10 and RV-14. The tiller arm / bow will be available from us shortly (within a week or maybe a bit more, probably?), with the remainder of the airframe installation kit available from Van's. Documentation is still being updated.

cdeerinck

I love flying!
Dynon - Do you foresee any difficulty in retrofitting the kit to other RVs, such as an RV-8?

Raymo

I love aviation!
Dynon - Do you foresee any difficulty in retrofitting the kit to other RVs, such as an RV-8?

The 10 and 14 have cables down the center of the cabin, which allows for easy installation. Planes with cables down each side would be more difficult and likely require installation in the tail. I'd expect someone in the EAA world will make something work in the future, if Dynon and Vans don't.

woxofswa

When I spoke with Dynon I was told that they would have an install kit shortly and that Van's would have the bracket.
However, when I spoke with Van's they said that they have a complete install kit with everything but the servo, however, here's the kicker, according to Van's, they are only producing a kit for the 14, and not the 10. That struck me as truly odd because there are hundreds of 10's flying and only a handful of 14's. They said that the 14 kit "should be able to be modified" to work in a 10, but the 10 adaptation is not officially supported by Van's. The Van's kit was pricey at about $160 for the install kit.

I've got to believe there is some miscommunication somewhere.

GaryK

I love flying!
Thanks for the update. I was told the same thing by Dynon almost a month ago, seems it taking longer than anticipated.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So they provide the lion's share of the installation hardware, although just the other day we were told that the kit applies to the RV-10 and the RV-14, although the plans show the RV-14. Builders may install the kit on the RV-10 using the plans as a reference. (this is an almost-direct quote from Van's)

Van's charges $160 for their kit. Our servo is $750, and the tiller arm/bow accessory (that is almost available) from us is $150. It's a bit more than the other axes due to the expected volume. At those prices, we're about half the price of the other guys for the equivalent setup.

GaryK

I love flying!
OK Dynon... Any news on when this will be released? Would also like to see the install documentation. Will the Yaw Damper be controlled through the AP buttons on the EFIS. I have the remote AP buttons panel also. Will the Yaw Damper aways by on when the AP is on. Was hoping it could be turned on independent of the AP Heading and Pitch mode. Would like to engage after take off while hand flying the departure.

Thanks
Gary

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the installation of the servo tiller arm/bow kit is available here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/autopilot-components-documentation.php

The installation information of the servo to the RV airframes comes from Vans (I believe - but am not sure - that it is available).

The SkyView setup portion isn't documented yet (sorry for this - we've had a staffing issue that has left us behind the curve here), but should be pretty straightforward if you're familiar with the AP setup menus. A few things though:

The disconnect switch on the yaw servo is used not for normal AP disconnect, but as an optional discreet on/off for the yaw damper. The switch - if installed - should be momentary. IE press to turn on. Press again to turn off. This is not strictly required, though, because the current behavior is as follows:

The yaw damper nominally comes on and off with the AP. IE, turn AP on, yaw damper comes on. Turn AP off, yaw damper goes off.

If you want to hand-fly with yaw damper, though, or turn off the yaw damper while under AP, you can separately turn the yaw damper on and off via either a menu button on SkyView, or by the aforementioned external pushbutton.

GaryK

I love flying!
Dynon,
Can one of buttons on the AP panel be configured to switch the Yaw Damper on and off or only on the SV AP menu.

Thanks
Gary

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Only the AP menu, but also that servo's disconnect switch can act as a discreet toggle for just the yaw damper servo.

GaryK

I love flying!
Does the discreet toggle wire need to run back to the SV42 or will the connection be to the SVD1000? I have the parts coming in and just want to get the wiring runs done up front if needed. This is on a flying aircraft. From the Van's documentation (RV14 Sec 58) the 7 wires controlling the SV42 Yaw Servo are connected to the existing pitch servo wiring. They don't mention the discreet switch wiring.

Appreciate your help,
Gary

GaryK

I love flying!
I get that its a momentary switch. Just thinking it the Software on the SV can disengage the Yaw servo independent of the others there might to a way wire it up to the 37 pin connector.

Not an issue if I need to run the wire just more work :)

Gary

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
And to clarify, the wire that on other servos is a disconnect, is actually a toggle if connected on a servo installed as a yaw damper. In other words, if the servo is off, a momentary button push of the connected button will turn it on. If the servo is on, a momentary push of that button will turn it off.

GaryK

I love flying!
Dynon Support
The install and configuration was straight forward in a flying 10. I have the torque and sensitivity settings configured and is working well. I would like to tweak it some but need to understand Rudder Rate and AY Gain. Can you explain how they effect the servo.

Thanks
Gary

Left a message on the tech line but thought other my check here for the same questions.

led

Hi Gary,

I can help with specific tweaks if you like, but here's the basics of the settings:

Sensitivity - As with other AP axes, this affects all other settings. In most installations the default value of "10" should be sufficient. Changing it may require readjusting the other settings.

Rudder Gain - This controls how active the rudder is at countering tail wag in turbulence and countering nose swing due to adverse yaw. Adjust this first. If the YD starts fighting entry into turns, back off a bit.

AY Gain - This controls how much rudder is used to center the ball. Use sparingly to help center the ball in turns.

Rudder Rate - This controls how fast the rudder will trim out the ball in cruise. Keep small.

--
Lawrence Doan
Aeronautical/Autopilot Engineer