2006 Oshkosh Announcements

Regarding the GPS function and interface. Dynon specified the NMEA protocol.. which I have seen in other GPS products...

but in the KLN-89B that I have installed, I have reviewed the install manual and none of the data protocols are explicitly NMEA...

For the KLN-89B.. there are 4 input formats that correspond to air-data computers, identified by protocol a, b, c, d and one output format that is compatible with some air data units and Artex ELT's. Neither group of protocols is explicitly listed as NMEA.

I am guessing that in the absence of clear and convincing evidence, the KLN-89B is not up to the task of sending data to the EFIS in the required format. Anyone have proof to the contrary?

I am also verifying this is a one way stream, from the GPS to the Dynon... and that there is no data being send BY the dynon to the GPS (can you tell im a newbie to all this)
 
Bendix / King has never seen a standard that they liked, so almost everything they design is propriatary. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are right that they don't output a NMEA sentence. If this is true, we won't be able to work with them.

You are correct, the link is only from the GPS to the EFIS. No data goes the other way.
 
Bendix / King has never seen a standard that they liked, so almost everything they design is propriatary. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are right that they don't output a NMEA sentence. If this is true, we won't be able to work with them.

You are correct, the link is only from the GPS to the EFIS. No data goes the other way.


Thanks for the follow up. I know I cant expect you to adapt you product to meet someone who has only a bit part of the market, and who marches to their own drumbeat. But I figured if it was possible, you'd know about it.

Later down the road, we may revisit this with an upgraded GPS package.

Thanks again.
 
Dear Dynon Support,

My brand new EFIS D100 has arrived at my dealer but needs to be retrofitted with SuperBright glass. So far my dealer has only been told that production quantities of the new glass haven't yet been received by Dynon, so scheduling of retrofits is, at best, a best guess. Does this remain the case? I'm trying to decide if I should take delivery of the D100 or send it back right now since my panel isn't yet ready for it. If schedules aren't yet firmed up then I'll take delivery and send it back for retrofit at a later date when I can know what the turn-around time will be for the retrofit.

As always, thanks for the 'straight up' answers!


Mark

(Davis DA-2A C-GJOY)
 
Mark,

Just like we said earlier, we don't expect to be able to ship the brighter screens until early September, which is still a few weeks off. This is still true and we don't know the exact date that we can ship units at this point.

On top of this, we're not doing upgrades for about a month after that until we get caught up with the pre-orders of the brighter screen. When we do upgrades, the turn around will be about 5 days.

You're probably best to install the unit, see how you like the current screen, and then send it in for an upgrade if you still want to when you have a few days of downtime. We don't want to make any promises about delivery times on the screens right now.
 
All on track for the new firmware release at the beginning of September?

We're going into a beta release canidate for the firmware soon, so we're pretty much on track. It will probably realistically be mid September so we can get a lot of beta hours in, but we'll try our best to beat that.
 
Thanks for the reply to my question. I'll fly with it a while then send it back.

"Just like we said earlier, we don't expect to be able to ship the brighter screens until early September, which is still a few weeks off."

Since we're exactly a week away from early September, not "a few weeks", you might want to adjust your calendar accordingly! ;) :o On second thought, why don't you come and adjust my calendar so I get a few more weeks of nice summer weather? Yes, that would be a MUCH better deal... :D
 
I don't think it's dishonest to count September 10th as "early September," which is about 15 days away, and that sort of timeframe is what we are aiming for.

We're with you that we hope summer follows a marketing worded calendar as well ;)
 
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

We're a bit late due to some problems with wind calculations, but it appears we have them worked out. We just released a version to the beta testers that we think has all bugs fixed. If we don't get any bug reports, we'll release this to everyone very soon.

We are shipping bright screen units now and have been for a few weeks.
 
We are shipping bright screen units now and have been for a few weeks.

Is there any word on when the bright screen upgrades will start?

Cheers,
Rusty (hope it's not chicken noodle soup)
 
We'll start taking units back next week for upgrade. Call us on or after Wed, October 1 (we've previously said upgrades start Oct 1st, but a few of us are out at fly-ins until Wednesday, so we may be a little hard to get a hold of).
 
Thanks. The timing works well, since the plane's just about ready for final assembly.

Cheers,
Rusty
 
OK, I did miss the Sept. 1 date. However, browsing my GNS430 installation manual, it appears that the RS232 GPS data output is at 9600bps and follows an "aviation" format and is not NMEA at 4800 bps. In the pictures showing the RV panel with all the cool stuff working (still wiping up the drool BTW) it looks as though there is a GNS 430 in the panel. So my question is... "How do I get the GNS 430 to converse with the D100 in an understandable language?"
 
We support the GNS-430 and GNS-530 at any data rate. Just plug it in.

The 430/530 won't do NMEA, but we support their format as well so it all works the same.
 
From looking at the GX-60 manual, it does not look like it will work with this release. We'll add it to the list for future compatibility.
 
Back
Top