AoA Calibration

pmerwood

I love flying!
I have a new Dynon HDX installation with v16.6 installed.

I can’t get my AoA calibrated and have done in the in-flight setup using the process outlined by the AoA Calibration Wizard several times with multiple stalls on each occasion. Also the the AoA Calibration Wizard introduced in v16.6 is not displayed as per Figure 57 in the latest version of the SkyView System Installation Manual. The old wizard screen is displayed.

Dynon support have recommended I perform the Zero pressure calibration again, followed by SYSTEM SETUP > SKYVIEW NETWORK SETUP > FORCE NETWORK LOAD.

if I do the FORCE NETWORK LOAD, will I loose all the various settings of the devices connected to the network?

Has anyone else had difficulty getting the new v16.6 AoA Calibration Wizard displayed? If so, how did you resolve that?

thanks

Raymo

I love aviation!
You will not lose any settings by forcing the network load. That option is used to force the latest firmware onto all the Dynon devices.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Correct. All user/pilot settings and calibrations are stored in the displays, not the modules.

RB-RV9A

I have been having issues with my AOA sound alert. I get the visual on the screen but thats not very useful. i have tried everything. i get all the other audio alerts but no AOA tones. volume is up to 100% etc..... don't know what else i could do. even dynon can't figure out. Any ideas to help my issue ?

andresmith76

I love flying!
I imagine Dynon has walked you through all the Setup AOA menu options but - just to be sure, have you verified your Angle of Attack Tone setting is set to ON?

Attachments

• 29-System Setup-Audio Setup-Angle of Attack Tone.png
    29-System Setup-Audio Setup-Angle of Attack Tone.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 44

RB-RV9A

I have been having issues with my AOA sound alert. I get the visual on the screen but thats not very useful. i have tried everything. i get all the other audio alerts but no AOA tones. volume is up to 100% etc..... don't know what else i could do. even dynon can't figure out.

RB-RV9A

I imagine Dynon has walked you through all the Setup AOA menu options but - just to be sure, have you verified your Angle of Attack Tone setting is set to ON?
Yes, it’s set to on and volume 100% I have done the calibration several times.
All the alerts comes thru on my headset except AOA. I really don’t know what’s next.

362PC

I have also had issues with the audio through headset on AoA. I could hear the warnings during calibration but have not heard them since.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I don’t know if this is your problem but I experienced the same issue when I swapped in a PS Engineering audio panel when my Garmin audio panel was being serviced. The Skyview audio is pinned to a unswitched input. This worked great with the Garmin audio panel. But with the PS engineering the aoa tones did not come thru. I only had the PS engineering installed for a week or so. I spoke to PS engineering about this at Oshkosh and he said they have a squelch circuit on their unswitched input. He said that I needed to adjust that due to the short duration of the tones. It only affected the aoa tones. All other Skyview audio announcements came thru fine.

This may be your problem?

Kurt

Hummel

Thread 'AOA calibration warning'
https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/aoa-calibration-warning.15114/

there is a second post about the AoA calibration. I also have troubles with the new calibration and especially with flaps down I see wrong indications. Even after doing the calibration several times, I am not able to come to the red zone of the AoA with Flaps down, even if I am in a full stall… My Savvy data only shows around 40-50% AoA… Hence also no audio sound, because that only comes on at 60 percent I think…
what I did is to delete the AoA settings for flaps down and only use the setting for flaps up. And I lowered the sound threshold to 50%… now I am coming close to what I was used with the older version. But I suspect a bug in the new firmware…

Has anyone done the new calibration and it works?

Fabian

pmerwood

I love flying!
Thread 'AOA calibration warning'
https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/aoa-calibration-warning.15114/

there is a second post about the AoA calibration. I also have troubles with the new calibration and especially with flaps down I see wrong indications. Even after doing the calibration several times, I am not able to come to the red zone of the AoA with Flaps down, even if I am in a full stall… My Savvy data only shows around 40-50% AoA… Hence also no audio sound, because that only comes on at 60 percent I think…
what I did is to delete the AoA settings for flaps down and only use the setting for flaps up. And I lowered the sound threshold to 50%… now I am coming close to what I was used with the older version. But I suspect a bug in the new firmware…

Has anyone done the new calibration and it works?

Fabian
You're lucky you can get the AoA calibration to work at all! I have manual flaps and no flap position sensor. I've flown the calibration procedure multiple times but my AoA indicator stubbornly says "Cal?".

I've taken this calibration issue up with Dynon support but typically only get brief replies (which is a bit frustrating). Early in December they did say
"We are looking into this issue, stand by a bit while we investigate what's going on. It may be a bug that has been previously unreported." I've not heard from them since.

Multiple people seem to be reporting AoA calibration issues of various types. It would be good if someone from Dynon who monitors this forum would acknowledge the calibration issues and let us know what they're doing about them. There's no shame in admitting a software bug. It's how you respond to it that's important.