Bearing Not Working From 430W vor

rfazio1951

I've got a dual Skyview system in my RV6. I have a 430W and ARINC, also a Nav2000 all connected to the Skyview. After an update a couple of updates ago I can no longer get a bearing displayed on the Skyview from the 430W. I used to set bearing1 to the 430W and have it tuned to a local VOR. Then I would set bearing2 to the Nav2000 and the same VOR. This would suffice for my VOR monthly check. BUT, I can no longer get the bearing to work on the 430W. It works fine from the NAV2000? I can set the 430W to navigate to a VOR and that works, as does an ILS approach into an airport. It's just the bearing that doesn't work. I went back to the manual and checked my settings in both the Skyview and the 430 and they are correct and have not changed. What am I doing wrong?

rfazio1951

Here are my setup screens.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Dynon, nothing?

Sorry for the delay here. We try to get on here a few times a week, but sometimes it can be a bit longer. Also, remember - if you're looking for personalized technical support, our dedicated team at 425-402-0433 or at support at dynonavionics dot com are going to be able to help you quicker. See our welcome post for details on this.

As for the issue here. Your settings look correct, and bearing should work on a VOR. If the CDI is flagged, you won't get a bearing, so make sure that's not the case. It might be helpful to have a video of you selecting the bearing to see what you're seeing.

rfazio1951

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't know what you mean by CDI flagged? So I can't tell if it is. I will make a video of flying and the settings. It just ignores the bearing from the 430 no matter what I do or what VOR I choose. I instantly get the bearing from the NAV2000.

rfazio1951

So, by "CDI flagged" you mean that the to or from flag is showing. I'm guessing this means if you were navigating using the VOR and the flag was set you could then not get a bearing? So if I choose a VOR that I am not navigating to and try to get a bearing, it should work. I'm pretty sure I did that, but I will make sure and try again. I will also make a video if it still does not work.

Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Put another way, you'll only have a bearing indicator available when you have a valid CDI, with a to/from indicator showing (when you have that source selected on the HSI. Mind you, you don't have that source up on your CDI, but if you're not getting a bearing, check by seeing what happens when you make that same bearing source the active HSI source. Or put another another way, if the radio isn't receiving the signals from the VOR such that it can resolve the CDI, it also can't show you the bearing.