Checklist made easily and uploaded to HDX

BMW_X6M

RV-9A O-320 Catto Prop. Dual HDX, ADSB GTN650
I downloaded the Excell file for creating checklists. I found it very easy to use and a great starting point for creating a checklist file. I uploaded the file to my HDX and now have an electronic checklist. Thank you DYNON for this easy to use template for creating checklists.

DBRV10

I downloaded the Excell file for creating checklists. I found it very easy to use and a great starting point for creating a checklist file. I uploaded the file to my HDX and now have an electronic checklist. Thank you DYNON for this easy to use template for creating checklists.

I have never bothered with doing this.

But I am interested to see what you did, any chance you would share your file.

BMW_X6M

I have never bothered with doing this.

But I am interested to see what you did, any chance you would share your file.
Hi David,
The downloaded file has some entries already in it. You could save it using the large button to a text file, and then upload it into the screen to see what it would look like. The checklist headings without entries will not be displayed. The checklist headings with entries will be displayed with each list separated in the directory list on the screen. The phoenetic alphabet and the transponder codes are already filled out and will display on the screen if you upload this beginning file. Of course you must have the Excell program (Windows) on your computer to use this creation tool.

DBRV10

I w
Hi David,
The downloaded file has some entries already in it. You could save it using the large button to a text file, and then upload it into the screen to see what it would look like. The checklist headings without entries will not be displayed. The checklist headings with entries will be displayed with each list separated in the directory list on the screen. The phoenetic alphabet and the transponder codes are already filled out and will display on the screen if you upload this beginning file. Of course you must have the Excell program (Windows) on your computer to use this creation tool.
I was keen to see YOUR file, to see what and how you customised it, you can upload it here on the forum post using the attach files button to the bottom left

andresmith76

I love flying!
I w

I was keen to see YOUR file, to see what and how you customised it, you can upload it here on the forum post using the attach files button to the bottom left
David-
I've spent quite some time creating the attached checklist file for my HDX. Feel free to view, copy and use if you would like.
Andre'

Attachments

• HDX Checklist.txt
    48.3 KB · Views: 393

BMW_X6M

David-
I've spent quite some time creating the attached checklist file for my HDX. Feel free to view, copy and use if you would like.
Andre'
Hi Andre,
If you could post the Excel file that would allow us to use it to copy and paste into our file for editing. There are some great features in your lists.
Thank you

andresmith76

I love flying!
BMW X6M -

Attached is the zipped version of the Excel file as requested. I basically just tried to add everything in my POH into the checklist file (without the pictures). Please know the file was created and modified using Microsoft's Notepad program, as recommended in Dynon's Skyview Installation Manual, Chapter 30, page 1. I found the Excel-based Checklist Creator you referred to in your first post difficult to use. Please also be aware I found the maximum checklist file size that will upload into my HDX800 to be 48.7 KB - something not mentioned in the Installation manual. The file I uploaded is about 48.3 KB, very close to the maximum.

Andre'

Attachments

• HDX Checklist-Excel.zip
    32.4 KB · Views: 191

BMW_X6M

BMW X6M -

Attached is the zipped version of the Excel file as requested. I basically just tried to add everything in my POH into the checklist file (without the pictures). Please know the file was created and modified using Microsoft's Notepad program, as recommended in Dynon's Skyview Installation Manual, Chapter 30, page 1. I found the Excel-based Checklist Creator you referred to in your first post difficult to use. Please also be aware I found the maximum checklist file size that will upload into my HDX800 to be 48.7 KB - something not mentioned in the Installation manual. The file I uploaded is about 48.3 KB, very close to the maximum.

Andre'
Hi Andre,
I think you must have used an older version of the creation program. The current Excel version is called SV_Checklist_Creator_v5.xlsm which is the one I used. The file you put up looks very different than the file from this newer version. Try the new version to see how it works differently. Thank you!

jnmeade

Will knock-off spreadsheet programs such as LibreOffice work? I guess I can check that, just wondered if anyone knew up front.

andresmith76

I love flying!
When I started working on my checklist, I found this link to another version of Checklist Creator that worked better for me compared to Notepad:
Again, I found it easier to work with than the Dynon Checklist Creator others have used.

Andre'

andresmith76

I love flying!
Will knock-off spreadsheet programs such as LibreOffice work? I guess I can check that, just wondered if anyone knew up front.
Remember, Skyview requires a .txt file using the UTF-8 Character Encoding format for the checklist file to work properly. Please review chapter 30 of the Skyview Installation manual for further instructions and clarification.

Last edited:

swatson999

Just curious...how many people are actually using these checklists? I started on them and tried it, but it just seemed like too much effort compared to a regular paper, laminated checklist, both to create and to use.

RV8JD

Just curious...how many people are actually using these checklists? I started on them and tried it, but it just seemed like too much effort compared to a regular paper, laminated checklist, both to create and to use.

I agree. I use an iPad mini 5 running ForeFlight in my RV-8. So I have created checklists in Word (save them as PDFs) and uploaded them to FF's Documents section in a "Checklists" tab (called "Binders" in FF). Very easy to pull up a checklist when needed.

andresmith76

I love flying!
I'm not sure if you've taken a look at my uploaded file but it contains a lot more than just checklists - a lot of the info is reference. It's nice to have available at the push of a button and read on the screen rather than having to pick up a booklet or binder and having to go search through pages. I like the fact the first page displayed when you push the Checklist button is its "Table of Contents". Scroll down the list, push the knob to bring up the contents of that topic. My Dynon wish list item for Checklists would be to have the ability display images (.PDF or .JPG).

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I keep suggesting to Dynon that they come up with a new product that is kinda like the EMS but much more simplified and has a number of wires coming out of it and you connect this box via a wire to the various switched checklist based appliances on your airplane.

They can call this new gizmo a Checklist Monitoring System (CMA).

Using the electric fuel boost pump as an example...if the before takeoff electronic checklist calls for that item to be turned ON and the pilot has done a "flow" and flipped a bunch of switches and during that flow already switched the electric boost pump switch to the ON position the CMS box would see that the electric boost pump is energized and the electronic checklist on the SkyView display will automatically turn that line item from white to green. Same thing with cockpit doors if closed that checklist line item went from white to green.

Other items like "TRANSPONDER CODE SET" would still be white until the pilot checked that box.

The current EMS already can monitor items like the landing gear down and if the EMS is showing three green lights then the checklist line item for LANDING GEAR would change from white to green.

Yes the EMS has a bunch of inputs and that is great however even though it has "37 Pins" the number of items that can actually be monitored is really like 12.

swatson999

I'm not sure if you've taken a look at my uploaded file but it contains a lot more than just checklists - a lot of the info is reference. It's nice to have available at the push of a button and read on the screen rather than having to pick up a booklet or binder and having to go search through pages. I like the fact the first page displayed when you push the Checklist button is its "Table of Contents". Scroll down the list, push the knob to bring up the contents of that topic. My Dynon wish list item for Checklists would be to have the ability display images (.PDF or .JPG).

Do you really *use* this feature when doing a *preflight*? Or do you read aloud those textual items to a passenger, reading from the screen? Or the math behind Vcc, et al.? Or to remind yourself to trim the plane properly? :)

Seriously...it's a CHECKLIST, not an instruction manual, but hey...do whatever you want with it. I'm just saying I have a laminated card with all the checklist info I need (on both sides), and I think it's way easier to just run my finger down which ever list I'm using than have to twiddle knobs and buttons and whatnot (plus, I can use colored text to indicate things like critical information).

KISS.

MaydayMayday

> Seriously...it's a CHECKLIST, not an instruction manual, but hey...do whatever you want with it. KISS

Yup swat...you can kiss it...

swatson999

> Seriously...it's a CHECKLIST, not an instruction manual, but hey...do whatever you want with it. KISS

Yup swat...you can kiss it...

My, my, my...touchy, touchy. Can't take a little criticism?

I was asking how many people actually use the checklist feature, and you came back with how great yours was. I didn't think so, and wondered why you had full paragraphs and such in a checklist. That's all...

Try not to take things so personally. :)

MaydayMayday

> I was asking how many people actually use the checklist feature, and you came back with how great yours was. I didn't think so, and wondered why you had full paragraphs and such in a checklist. That's all...

I was not the one who came back with how great mine was nor did I say anything about paragraphs...

Last edited: