Dynon ADS-B for Skyview

jeffa

UPS delivered mine last night, but have to wait until Monday to make it out to the hangar. Mount, wiring, and antenna was finished a couple weeks ago, and it's waiting for the unit. Can't wait for 5.0!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just an update - Dynon released SkyView Software Version 5.0 today. This release is a big one: It adds ADS-B weather, traffic, and TFRs capability to US-based SkyView systems when paired with the SV-ADSB-470 module ($995) that we released last week.

This also means that when paired with an SV-XPNDR-26X transponder, Dynon has the only widely available and affordable ADS-B solution for homebuilts and LSA aircraft that incorporates an ADS-B Out transmission. This is important, as the transponder-based ADS-B Out transmission wakes up the ADS-B ground stations and causes them to send a traffic portrait that includes all known ADS-B targets around the SkyView-equipped aircraft.

SkyView 5.0 can be found on from our website.

swaneymj

Now that Garmin has released their 5.0 software for the GNS-430/530 that is DO260B compliant can a Garmin GTX330ES transponder be used for ADS-B traffic rather than the 470? Your transponder wasn't available when I started my panel, so I ended up with a 330ES for ADSB Out.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GTX330ES cannot receive ADS-B traffic. It is an ADS-B OUT device, but not ADS-B IN, just like Dynon's 261 and 262 transponders.

When Garmin releases a software update for the 330 that makes it compliant with DO-260B (it's DO-260A today) then you can use it in conjunction with the SV-ADSB-470 instead of our transponder, but there is no overlap in functionality between the 330 and the 470. The software update to the 430 really doesn't have anything to do with this situation.

The 330 can receive TIS-A traffic and we've supported displaying that for years.

swaneymj

When Garmin releases a software update for the 330 that makes it compliant with DO-260B (it's DO-260A today) then you can use it in conjunction with the SV-ADSB-470 instead of our transponder, but there is no overlap in functionality between the 330 and the 470. The software update to the 430 really doesn't have anything to do with this situation.
Sorry, I didn't phrase my question correctly.   I'm installing your SV-ADSB-470 UAT with my existing GNS430 and GTX330ES.  Assuming I have your 5.0 software,  Garmin's 5.0 software in the 430 and whatever Garmin does to update the 330ES to 260B, what do I have to do to make TIS-B function in that configuration?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We will need to update our software to make this function, which we will do after Garmin releases the update for the 330. As far as we have heard this is still not available.

swaneymj

We will need to update our software to make this function, which we will do after Garmin releases the update for the 330. As far as we have heard this is still not available.
OK, here's Gamin's new software release.  Does that do it?  So when can we expect the Dynon update?   :D

4 January 2013 Garmin Software Service Bulletin 1240.  Software Version 7.02 for GTX 23 and GTX 330/330D w/ES products (not applicable to GNS 480, G900X, G950, G1000, Cirrus Perspective®, or Embraer ProdigyTM installations) updates Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast
(ADS-B) function to TSO-C166b.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Looks like it might be the update you've been waiting for. An update from us will come in one of our next software releases (not the one coming at the end of Jan though).

flybuddy

How would he Garmin 330 connect with the Skyview to display full ADDS-B traffic?

It wouldn't need to. Once an extended squitter (ES), Garmin 330 is updated, it will function as your ADSB out. This will turn on traffic info from ATC which will be received by your Dynon ADSB receiver.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Actually, that is not quite true. We won't show traffic unless we know a DO-260B and ES-capable transponder is on board. Right now, we don't support the 330 as an option to this since it was just upgraded to DO-260B last week.

A future software update will allow this configuration.

sunfish

I love flying!
Does Dynon plan to offer a 1090 mhz ADSB - In receiver for use in Europe and Australia?

If I buy a freeflight 1201 GPS sensor to comply with ADSB position data integrity requirements , can it also supply the skyview system with position data?

jeffa

If I buy a freeflight 1201 GPS sensor to comply with ADSB position data integrity requirements , can it also supply the skyview system with position data?

And can skyview take the 1201 feed as a TSO'd nav source for IFR flight?

No, according to Freeflight, the 1201 outputs a proprietary message that only the Chelton EFIS system reads.  As of 2 months ago, when I originally installed the 1201, Dynon tech support told me that they had no current plans to allow the 1201 to be used as a Nav source. 

sunfish

I love flying!
The Freeflight 1201 is used by Trig for their transponder ADSB out solution and is mentioned in the Dynon install manual (TSO'd product)

What would be the point of freeflight producing something that is only readable by an obscure maker of EFIS? Why would Dynon not avail themselves of $3000 worth of transponder quality GPS position information?

jeffa

The Freeflight 1201 is used by Trig for their transponder ADSB out solution and is mentioned in the Dynon install manual (TSO'd product)

Totally true, but only as a position source for the SV/Trig transponder, not the Skyview display itself.

What would be the point of freeflight producing something that is only readable by an obscure maker of EFIS? Why would Dynon not avail themselves of $3000 worth of transponder quality GPS position information?

I guess I should rephrase my post.  The 1201 outputs a RS-232 message that can be used by anyone that wants to spend the time to create the software to read it.  Freeflight makes this info available to anyone that wants it....even I have a copy....but I have no idea what 99% of it means.  It was explained to me by Freeflight Tech Support, the only manufacturers that currently use this info is Trig/Dynon (for their transponders), Chelton (for their EFIS), and Freeflight themselves (for all of their ADS-B devices).  I guess if enough interest was presented to Dynon (as was done with the Vertical Power VP-X software), maybe they would consider creating the software to use the 1201 as a position source?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The Freeflight is supported by the transponder directly for ADS-B Out purposes, but not by SkyView directly. For the most inexpensive high-rate (5Hz) position in solution for SkyView, we recommend the SV-GPS-250 module.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We haven't put any energy into supporting it because very few people have it, and it doesn't make the whole SkyView magically TSO'd, so it adds very little to the system over the SV-GPS-250 we sell.

If there is enough interest in the future we can consider it. Maybe it will make business sense if people really start using it for ADS-B compliance.

sunfish

I love flying!
Thank you for the answer. Is Dynon going to offer a 1090 mhz ADSB-In solution for European or Australian operators?

cmarbach

I just finished installing the ADS-B in my RV-7 and it appears to be working well....except it downloads 121 METAR/TAFs and then stays at that number. It has the local and nearby weather, regional radar, CONUS radar and the receiving indicator is on steadily. This all happening on the ground at KBCT where am ADS-B transmitter is located.

What's with the metar count staying the same?