Dynon ADS-B for Skyview

Elmer

I love flying!
I have the SV-D1000, SV-ADAHRS-20X,SV-XPNDR-26X, and
SV-GPS-250. I don't have the SV-ARINC-429.
Not having the SV-ARINC-429 mounted in my aircraft, can I still install the SV-ADSB-470 and receive all the benefits?
I'm just now setting up my SkyView system. I have downloaded the new SV-4.0.1 US software. Should I load it into my SV system, now or wait until the SV-ADSB-470 software comes out?
Thanks, Elmer

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, with our transponder you should be able to get traffic and weather with just the SV-ADSB-470. The 429 box has no planned interface with the ADS-B box at this point.

az_gila

Sort of a dumb question, but is it OK to bundle the Dynon Transponder and Dynon UAT antenna cables together for a 3 to 4 foot distance?

They would both be RG-400 cables.

Flyguytki

I love flying!
Earlier you gave us the pin out but can you give us the actual pin locations on the db-9 so I can get everything set up and put the top skin?

Thanks!!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The posted pinout is the pinout. 1 is pin 1, 2 is pin 2... Only pins 1-4 are used. The cable has a D9 male.

1: Power In
2: RX in to Box, TX on SkyView Wires
3: TX from box, RX on SkyView wires
4: Ground

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Oh, and the transponder and ADS-B cables can be bundled (RF or data cables), assuming they are RG-400 (or better), not RG-58.

skysailor

Can I get all the weather and TFR/NOTAM functions of the ADS-B without having the Dynon transponder? I understand I will not have traffic without it.

jakej

For those of you with your serial ports used up, go ahead and post what you have connected and let's see what we can figure out. Using up 5 ports is pretty rare, and we probably have some options.

GPS1
GPS2
Transponder
WX/Traffic
???

GPS 1
SL30
SV Txpdr
VP-X
SV-Gps

The above is a 'basic' layout, no ports left for Traffic etc.

Jake J :)

lindsayj

You may have answered this already but I can't find it, so --- how far away from an existing transponder antenna must the SV-ADSB-470 be located? Also how far from the ADAHARS? Thanks, Jack L

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You'll need to buy your own. Any transponder antenna will work, as will either of these two (or any other) ADS-B antenna:

Experimental:
http://www.deltapopaviation.com/UAT_Antenna.html
TSO’d:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/av74_ant.php

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi all - just wanted to share that starting today, Monday, December 3rd, we are now shipping the new SV-ADSB-470 Traffic and Weather receiver for SkyView. We've decided to release the SV-ADSB-470 module early, before the upcoming 5.0 firmware update, so that folks that want to get a head start on installation can.

To order, the official part number and description is:

SV-ADSB-470 UAT BAND ADS-B Traffic and Weather Receiver (US only)

The list price is $995, and is available directly from us (phone, web store, fax) as well as your favorite Dynon dealer.

Please note that this product only works in the US with the US FAA ADS-B system, as it receives on the US-only 978 MHz UAT frequency. It will not work for either traffic or weather in other countries.

The product brochure may be downloaded here, and there's some more info on the SV-ADSB-470 webpage.

The SV-ADSB-470 module requires a separate external antenna and coax cable which we do not sell; any antenna suitable for use with an aircraft transponder will work, as will UAT specific antennas. The SV-ADSB-470 antenna must not be placed within 2 feet of the transponder antenna.

Also note that for traffic reception, the SV-ADSB-470 requires the SkyView Mode-S transponder to be part of the SkyView system.  Weather reception works without the Mode-S transponder.

Finally, as previously mentioned, the SV-ADSB-470 requires SkyView Version 5.0, which will not be released for several more weeks. We are releasing the hardware early so that customers can receive and install the module in time for the software release. A pre-installation guide to physically install the SV-ADSB-470 module is be available at http://docs.dynonavionics.com now. The software release will be announced on our Website.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Incidentally, I know you guys love screenshots. Here are the 3 different ways you'll be able to display weather/terrain in SkyView. It's a simple 3-way toggle switch (button 6, as seen in the screenshots):

Terrain Only:

terrain%20fullscreen.png

Terrain/Weather (terrain muted):

wx+terrain%20fullscreen.png

Weather only (terrain off):

weather%20fullscreen.png