Dynon ADS-B for Skyview

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Vern,
I don't understand why you have the transponder hooked up twice. What does that get you? We already pass SkyView's best source of GPS data over to the transponder over the #1 link. The only reason to run a GPS direct to the Transponder is if it's a certified GPS, and then the wire must go direct.

swaneymj

Correct that we will not show traffic without our transponder. Without ADS-B out, traffic is unreliable, so we have decided not to offer this as an option.

So does this means that even though I have ADS-B Out using a GTX-330/GNS-430 configuration, I won't be able to use the SV-ADSB-470 receiver?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You actually don't have ADS-B out via your 330 right now. The 330 is not DO-260B certified like our transponder is. Garmin has said an upgrade is coming in Q4 of 2012, by sending the unit to Garmin (and $1400 for some models). The big thing this update gives you is the ability to tell the ADS-B system that while you are transmitting on 1090MHz, you're receiving on 978MHz. Without this, the ground stations don't know you are ADS-B IN equipped and won't send you anything.

Once that update is shipping, then we will support traffic if you are properly equipped. Until then, all you will get is weather from the ADS-B module (or any other vendor's ADS-B solution).

Garmin also has a service advisory (number 1215, May 21st, 2012) saying none of the GNS or GTN products are compliant with ADS-B OUT requirements, so some sort of update will be required there as well.

nigelspeedy

My serial ports are configured as follows:
Tx1: SL-30
Rx1: SL-30
Tx2:SV Transponder
Rx2: Sv Transponder
Tx3: VPX Pro
Rx3: VPX Pro
Tx4: Alt @ 9600bd (goes to ELT)
Rx4: GNS-430W
Tx5: SV GPS
Rx5: SV GPS

Not sure if any of these are redundant or should be sacrificed for traffic & weather, but if there is a better way I would love to hear it.

Regards

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
N71S, in your case, you would be well served to move the 430 to our SV-ARINC-429 adapter. This will free up a serial port, but it will also give you a ton more features from that 430W. It is a few hundred bucks, but it will make that $7000 GPS a lot more functional in your plane.

You can hook your ELT direct to one of the 430's 4 serial ports to free up the other side of the serial port.

vlittle

Vern,
I don't understand why you have the transponder hooked up twice. What does that get you? We already pass SkyView's best source of GPS data over to the transponder over the #1 link. The only reason to run a GPS direct to the Transponder is if it's a certified GPS, and then the wire must go direct.

Ahhh.. not clear from your documentation that GPS position data is passed over the #1 link.  Thanks for the clarification.

Vern

nigelspeedy

Dynon,
Thanks for the quick reply. I had Tim at Approach Fast Stack do the wiring for me. I actually do have an Arinc 429 module that the 430 is connected to. So I will ask him why the serial connection. If it helps I will get the wiring diagram he provided. It is good to hear that there is a likely way to integrate the Dynon ADS-B receiver without having to lose any other features.

Now I will be out of serial ports though. Is there any scope to use the USB ports for future hardware? Not being a computer guy how does the data rate of USB compare to the serial ports?

Hope you guys have a good Osh.

cheers

Sportsman7064

Dynon Support,

Can you provide details on the physical dimensions and wiring/antenna connections required, and power consumption for the SV-ADSB-470?

I'm getting close to competing my airplane and want to ensure I have planned ahead for this opportunity (along with the transponder, if needed.

Thanks for a wonderful product. Looking forward to getting in the air and really enjoying it!

Russ

ExpRVAviation

RV Flying.............
Dynon Support, please also post the DB-9 pinout as soon as you have them so I can pre-wire the fuselage.

Thank You :)

RV-9A (Almost done!)

mervg

Serial ports are hardware. We can't just add them in software...
Ahh, but you do have USB ports and a $15 adaptor will get you aditional serial port(s) if the software would support it.  Please consider this option.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The serial ports in SkyView are special. They allow us to disable the transmit line and thus many SkyViews can share a connection to one device. It's not something you get out of a $15 USB to serial cable. So USB to serial is an option, but it won't give you the same flexibility to hook up whatever you want as you have come to expect from Dynon.

In any case, we will consider methods to add serial connections if people really are running out of Serial ports, but that's why we're asking people to post what they have connected so we can get a sense of what kind of expansion people really need.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Power consumption is approx 200mA @ 12V.

Dimensions are in the brochure, which can be found here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Literature/Dynon-SV-ADSB-XPNDR-Web-Jul2012.pdf

The wiring requirements for the Dynon box will be 4 wires to a D9 male cable (D9 female on the box).

1: Power In
2: RX in to Box, TX on SkyView Wires
3: TX from box, RX on SkyView wires
4: Ground

There is a standard BNC connector to go to the antenna on the belly of the plane.

Remember, this box can be anywhere in the plane (panel, under a seat, in the back).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It goes on the bottom of the plane, and the only real requirement is to get it away from the transponder antenna. We're working on exact recommendations for the distance, but anything over 2' will be fine, we hope we can allow closer.

jbeaver

NEXRAD images via ADS-B are static.

Is there any reason the SkyView can't cache previous images so that they can be animated? Understanding cell movement is critical to flying around weather.