Dynon Nav Data Update

kellym

I love flying!
When I went to install the current database, I had strange results. While it appeared to install correctly, when I rebooted the system, it told me the data was out of date for one screen. So I reinstalled the update via that screen, got the usual database synchronizing, etc. Then the other screen said it was out of date. So reinstalled from the first screen. I checked the installed databases on both screens, both indicated the current database, but one still says it is out of date. Weird. Have never seen this before, while doing updates for the last 6 years. Guess I will see what happens when new update comes out in a couple weeks.
Kelly

HFMan

Do you have the Seattle Avionics chart subscription? You will also get warnings if these are out of date, and of course those are stored on a USB Thumb drive for each display.

kellym

I love flying!
Do you have the Seattle Avionics chart subscription? You will also get warnings if these are out of date, and of course those are stored on a USB Thumb drive for each display.
I do and the charts are also all current. And my GTN650 navdata is also current.

n28et

I love flying!
I am experiencing the same issue although I only have one screen. I get a message stating stating the US Aviation and Obstacle database loaded successful, however, when I exit the setup menu the main screen shows that the data is expired. I even tried installing the entire update package in the hopes that would resolve the issue. No joy!

Not sure where to go from here. I have had my Skyview since 2013 so this isn’t the first time I have installed updates.

swatson999

What's the name of the file you uploaded? i.e., what database version numbers? And on what date did you do the upload?

airguy

Which update was this one - the current released two days ago or the one previous?

I have had one occasion of this same problem a couple cycles back - but I updated 5 screens in three airplanes today with normal results.

n28et

I love flying!
This is the file I uploaded today: FAA_av2010_ob2005_15.4.7.duc which is the current cycle due to expire in a few days.

n28et

I love flying!
Went flying today and got the same message. Now, here is the part where I get to eat crow. I hadn’t flown since this past July, which was the last time I successfully updated the SA charts. So, its the SA charts that are out of date not the Dynon. Next time, I need to read and fully comprehend the message. Sorry to take up bandwidth on this thread.

kellym

I love flying!
You were 100% correct. For some reason, one thumb drive updated, while the other, plugged in at same time on computer, did not.
Went back and updated the drive that didn't have the new charts, and all was well. And I was thinking it was a notice that the Dynon navdata wasn't current, when it was.
Kelly

jethound

I have noticed if you have a lot of DUC files on the thumb drive it sometime screws up the download to the Dynon’s.
I go to file manager and delete all the previous DUC files then download the current and have not had another issue.

Jeff1

Learning curve....bought an RV8A from an estate, so the builder isn’t arounfpd to query. I have a Sv-1000 and Sv-700 and a Garmin530W. Hav successfully updated The duc files from Dynon. Kept getting a chart data out of date Oct 7,2020. Went to Seattle Avionics and purchased chart data.
Purin a new USB stick 32 gig into my MacBook hit Download and learned that the files are not Mac compatible. Called and Seattle confirmed 😆
Took stick to work and put on a Windows computer and it ran for four hours downloading. Confirmed that that the data was on stick. Put in airplane and went to load and file wasn’t recognized. learned That the stick needs to be formatted specifically. Took two sticks out of airplane, thinking since I was able to download duc files successfully they would work. Another four hour download, confirmed data on stick, put in airplane and nothing.
found that stick needs a file name of specifically , SkyViewUS. Put that on new stick that I originally downloaded data and we will see today if it will load. Not having any confidence that it will work...

sideline. Flying the other day and got a Dynon Warning of a system event 5. Called and Dynon tells me that my hard drive is dying

Jeff1

Update. New USB stick named SkyViewUS, as per Dynon. Verified data is on stick. Tried again to load and get the following msg

”no compatible files found in the main folder of the USB drive”

”files in sub-folders can not be accessed by SkyView”

anyone have a classic and can tell me what I’m doing wrong?

swatson999

Welcome to the wonderful world of Seattle Avionics, home of the worst-designed data download program in aviation.

I'm going to posit that you have to have the SkyViewUS folder created *prior* to doing the download, so that Data Manager sees it and knows what to do when putting data on the stick.

From the Help pop-up (a pop-up? for *Help* info? Seriously?) in the ChartData Manager so-called App:

Dynon SkyView
After obtaining a suitable memory stick, prepare it for Data Manager. You can do this either by inserting the card into your PC and clicking the Create USB flash drive button or using the following manual process:

Manual Process

For US data sticks, you'll create a folder called SkyViewUS in the root (or base folder) of the USB memory stick. To accomplish this in most modern versions of Microsoft Windows:

1. Connect your USB memory stick to your PC.
2. The USB memory stick should appear as a drive under the My Computer or Computer menu item in the start menu. Double-click on that drive.
3. If there is a New Folder button visible, press that. Otherwise, right-click within the empty drive and select New, and then Folder.
4. Name this folder SkyViewUS or SkyViewEU depending on your location. This folder must be all one word, and the S, V, and US in SkyViewUS must all be capitalized.
5. Repeat this process for each USB memory stick you have. One is needed for each SkyView display in your system.
6. Your USB memory stick(s) are now prepared for use with Data Manager.

Note: The Data Manager does not place any data in the SkyViewUS or SkyViewEU directory. Rather, these directories are simply used by the Data Manager to identify this memory stick as Dynon SkyView memory sticks as opposed to memory sticks for another devices or applications that the Data Manager also supports.

I hate, hate, HATE (did I say "Hate"?) the SA ChartData Manager program. I wish to God they'd hire a genuine software engineer to design something approaching a modern, robust, user-friendly, reliable application, but it seems we're stuck with this POS forever. Love the data, though...

Raymo

I love aviation!
You do not "load" the files from Seattle Avionics - only the monthly FAA chart data (DUC files) get loaded. IFR charts must remain on the USB drive for access by the system.

Jeff1

Thx , Raymo! I’ll give it a try, nothing else has worked. Several calls to Seattle Avionics tech help. They referred me to a Dynon letter telling me how they have to be on a file “ SkyViewUS. Are you downloading to this file? After they are on the stick, how do you pull up a specific approach chart to fly?

airguy

There are two parts to the updates - the Dynon side, and the Seattle Avionics side.

Start with a blank, formatted USB stick.

Go to the Dynon site and download the latest database update, and drop it into the root directory (not any folder) of the USB. When you insert the USB into your port in the airplane, then you go into Setup mode and load the file from the USB. This will update the nav/obstacle data.

For the Seattle Avionics part, you can use the same USB stick as before. Create a folder in the root directory named exactly this - capitalization is important here - "SkyvewUS". Then be patient (very) and let the nearly-worthless Seattle Avionics datamanager eventually do what it does, and it will load the files from your PC to the USB stick. When that is done, then plug the stick into the USB port in your airplane and you'll have the sectionals, IFR maps and plates for the areas you selected on the SA datamanager. You don't need to do anything on the Skyview to be "load" these, the Skyview will access the USB as needed to go look at them.

For the next data cycle, simply erase the .DUC file from the old Dynon update and replace it with the current one and repeat the load step in the airplane. The SA datamanager should eventually update the USB stick if you plug it into your computer and go away for a while.

HFMan

For the Seattle Avionics part, you can use the same USB stick as before. Create a folder in the root directory named exactly this - capitalization is important here - "SkyvewUS".

Ahem... the name of the directory is not SkyvewUS - it is SkyViewUS