ILS/RNAV

Jeff1

looking at purchasing an RV8A. It has SV1000, SV700, GPS 250, Garmin 530W, XPNDR 261, ADSB470. Plus coms.
I need to be able to do ILS and RNAV approaches. Will the above equipment do that?

Jeff1

Thank you for all the responses. Was thinking the aircraft would need a localizer and glide slope antenna to receive the signals from the ground

Raymo

I love aviation!
The 530W is a NAV/COM/GPS (WAAS), which is providing your transponder with a position source for ADS-B out. It also feeds the Dynon screen(s) with position data. You'll have a NAV antenna connected to a splitter that feeds the NAV and GS antenna connectors on the back of the 530.

kellym

I love flying!
Thank you for all the responses. Was thinking the aircraft would need a localizer and glide slope antenna to receive the signals from the ground
Most aircraft use VOR antenna for both localizer and GS, via a splitter. A few will have a separate GS antenna.

airguy

And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

The difference is that the splitter is literally just a "T" connection that sends half the signal strength each direction, resulting in a lower quality signal for both end devices. A diplexer actually serves as a bandpass filter that captures most of the energy of a particular frequency range and blocks other frequency ranges. Since the localizer and glideslope are on different frequencies but come in on the same antenna, this works well and sends 80%-90% of the signal strength of the desired frequency to the desired output of the diplexer, which is then routed to your device. This gives a higher signal strength and better service.

Diplexers are, of course, more expensive than splitters - you get what you pay for.

Jeff1

Thx Airguy. Live in the Pacific NW and get lots of MVFR or IFR and need ILS. I’ll make sure there is a diplexer or put one om

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
> And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

When visually inspecting the cables of the airplane how can you determine what device you have installed?

airguy

> And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

When visually inspecting the cables of the airplane how can you determine what device you have installed?

You would need to look at the label on the "splitter" device to be sure. Follow the coax from the antenna to the splitter/diplexer.

jethound

I have a VOR antenna and it works well for the ILS approaches thru the GTN 650. I dig around for the model number have it mounted on the aft fuselage just abeam the horizontal stab

10driver

Can a stand alone Com/Nav unit like a Garmin/Aspen SL30 provide an ILS presentation to a SV1000 display?

Thanks

10driver

Yes it DOES say that but unlike the Garmin 430/530 that has a serial AND ARINC 429 connections to the SV, the Garmin SL30 does not (only has a serial connection which will give you more accurate lateral info...see attached SL30 wiring diagram). It's my understanding NO glideslope info is passed over the serial connection only over a ARINC 429 connection. Can someone explain how the info from the 17 wires from the SL30 would be translated/transmitted to the SV please?

Attachments

• SL30Nav-Com Wiring diagram.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 228

jakej

page 20 of the SL30 install manual will show you the serial connections (pins 3, 4 & 5) you need to the Dynon.
You need to configure the SL for serial output or none ( not sure which however most likely - None) . Been a while since I’ve installed an SL 😉.

10driver

Understand....so while the 430/530 requires both the ARINC 229 connections as well as the serial connection, the SL30 only requires a serial connection?

swaneymj

Yes, but the beauty of the SL30 is that it has 2-way communications with Skyview. You can select a frequency on Skyview and send it to the Standby Com or Nav on the SL-30, as well as displaying other data on the screen.