New Firmware Release Questions

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Roger,

In this firmware version, the EMS OAT always rules, which is a design behavior that somehow made sense at some point, but it's becoming apparent that we got it slightly wrong.

In the next firmware release (due soonish), the "local" OAT will rule if connected. If there is no local OAT but there is on on another device in the network, it will be pulled over. This is the behavior you're looking for.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
For technical reasons, the 480 will not be able to provide the EFIS with either GPS or SL30 input in this next release, though we do realize it outputs both sets of information. It is actually BECAUSE it outputs both sets of information simultaneously that makes it hard to work with, because of how our device autodetection works.

Do you know if it is possible to shut off either the NMEA or Aviation Format data on the 480 serial output?

lbgjb

on the new release for my 10a, on the HSI, the heading bug only will move in 10 degree steps.  i can't set it to specific headings.  what's up.  thanks.  (i thought i posted this but couldn't find it!!!)  lbb

Bill_Denton

For technical reasons, the 480 will not be able to provide the EFIS with either GPS or SL30 input in this next release, though we do realize it outputs both sets of information. It is actually BECAUSE it outputs both sets of information simultaneously that makes it hard to work with, because of how our device autodetection works.

Do you know if it is possible to shut off either the NMEA or Aviation Format data on the 480 serial output?

Unless you know something I don't, there is no NMEA or Aviation data in the 480 serial stream.

It uses a non-Garmin-standard format named MAPCOM which was an Apollo (or whoever was the originator of the 480) format.

I've done a little more digging in a newer version of the manual, and it appears that the only way you can get the VOR/ILS data is via: an ARINC 429 interface.

I will forward a newer (current?) copy of the GNS 480 Installation Manual to support at dynonavionics.com with the subject "GNS 480 Installation Manual - Rev D" for your perusal...

oldflyer

Clarification on the origin of the 480.  Developed by UPS aviation and then Garmin bought the company, most believe because the 480 was so far ahead of its on IFR GPS products-they still don't have WAAS.  Regardless the integrated Nav/Com in the 480 is the SL30 which again is from UPS and is the Nav/Com mentioned as supported by this firmware release.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Does anybody have a 480 hooked up to the beta firmware release? Dan believes that the 480's SL30 output is mixed in with some Aviation Format on the same serial stream, which would confuse the EFIS.

oldflyer

Re the 480. The serial data is Aviation, no NMEA, and yes the Nav GS/Loc is intermixed with the GPS data. However the data is very well organized and identifiable. I could write the code and I havent written code for a long time. They don't let me anymore -:). Anyway, I'd love to see this enhancement.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's not the parsing that's the problem, but the HSI mode autodetection routine. Anyway, it won't be in this firmware release, but should be supported sometime in the future.

aceflyingservice

Thanks for the quick response to the EFIS/EMS OAT behavior. I have another question. Can a GPS NMEA output (Garmin 496) drive two devices (Trio Autopilot and Dynon) by hooking up the GPS data line to both devices simultaneously?

Roger Johnson
Long EZ N34JR

Hi Roger,

yes, this is possible, I've my Garmin 196 driving my trutrak as well as the HSI on my EMS-10 as well as other nice functions. I just spliced both units in the serial data stream of the GPS.

br Werner

lgingell

Roger,

Yes, I too have that. My 296 Com1 port is 9600+Aviation and is split 3 ways: EMS-D120/SL40/Trutrak Digitrak and it works great.

I specifically wanted to try this in case I upgrade to a 396/496 which only has one Com port (vs 2 on the 296).

Cheers,
..lance
http://lancegingell.com/plane.asp

aceflyingservice

When can we expect the new HSI firmware to be available? Also, where does the GPS data line hook up to the DYNON? I would like to be ready. :) :)

Roger Johnson
Long EZ N34JR

oldflyer

I have noticed the true aispeed on the new DG display.  I'm wondering since I do not have OAT, what is the algorithm that is being used.  It's actually pretty close.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just like on the EFIS OAT INFO item, in this case the TAS is computed using the OAT that is inputted using the menu system.

However, after our next firmware update, TAS will no longer show up on the DG/HSI screen unless you actually have an OAT probe installed. This is because the main value of showing TAS on this screen is going to be for the further computation of winds aloft in future firmware versions (when connected to GPS), and winds will depend on an accurate OAT to compute correctly.

oldflyer

Ok thanks. But I disagree with you about the value of TAS only being for winds aloft. I use TAS to carefully monitor my engine performance when running LOP, Lean of Peak. GS is great, I love a tail-wind as much as the next guy, but TAS is what really matters at the end of the day when monitoring airplane performance

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We agree that TAS is a good thing, but for it to be accurate you need an OAT probe. We'll show TAS on that screen if you have an OAT, but if you don't, we'll hide it. It's actually a bug that it shows up now.

In the main EFIS screen you can bring up the TAS / DA as an info item even without an OAT connected, but you'll need to enter the OAT manually for this to be accurate. Most likely the OAT that is in there right now was close to right when you last checked the TAS which is why it seemed accurate.

oldflyer

Garmin 396. I can't get mine to work, I hooked the blue wire (serial data out) to pin 22 of the e10a, I am confident that this is correct. Where I am not confident is the selection of output format from the 396. The closest selection I see is NMEA In/NMEA Out, selecting this sets up 4800 baud. Reviewing the manual (396) the documented version 3.01 NMEA output is gprmc, gpgga, gpgsa, gpgsv, gpgll, gpbod, gprte, gpwpl. Reviewing the d10a nmea required input documentsaion and matching the rqmts to the 396, I see that d10a requires gprmb, and gpapb in addition to others that are supported by the 396. So then this means a garmin 396 will not work becuase it is missing rmb and apb.

I am new to all this but thats my take. If anybody has a 396 working I'd appreciate you concurring that it is the blue wire (page 155 in the 396 documentation) to pin 22 and then what output do you have selected from the setup menu for serial data format from the Interface tab in the setup menu. Thanks!