New Firmware Release Questions

WestCoastOz

Richard,
Yes I agree with your comments regarding the HSI CRS staying on 360 deg. when the GPS is outputting NMEA0183.
I am not familiar with NAV 96 but assume it is an output from a VHF Nav receiver, not the KMD150 or the Skymap IIIc. I downloaded the KMD150 manual and could find no reference to NAV 96?
If it is available on the Skymap or KMD 150, could you please elborate how I can select this as it would be nice to get the HSI functioning to specification.

Thanks

Dave

R_Glick

Beta Tester
I have three settings on the KMD for Data output. 1. NMEA 0183 2. AR NAV 9600 Baud 3. Off
I was speaking of #2 when I said Nav 96. Sorry for the confusion.

Richard

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Richard,

The bearing to the waypoint and the cross-track error to the waypoint are based on your physical location over the earth, not the rotation of the HSI.

Think of a normal CDI tuned to a VOR. It doesn't matter what way the plane is pointed, it matters where the plane actually is when you tune in a radial. Sure, in a plane in motion if you're pointed the wrong way it will move over the earth and your CDI will move. But if you're not moving, it will never show an error.

Anyway, it does sound like you found something that works. The way to really check is to set up a flight plan that goes between two airports that you aren't currently at. Direct to will always show no CDI error and a direct bearing to until the plane moves.

WT9

Only an Idea!
Isn´t it possible to make a List with every Combinations which are tested to work well together.
e.g. D100 -- Garmin GNS430 --- NMEA 183 .... or other
(Everyone can post his combination which work well)
I think this can help many Owner!

Regards John

R_Glick

Beta Tester
Thanks for the explanation! I knew there was something I was missing. Now that I have my bearings I will try the Flight plan out between two locations.

Thanks

Richard

WestCoastOz

Has anybody out there with a D100 & Skymap IIIc managed to get the HSI/CDI to work properly using the NMEA0183 format??   Mine certainly does not as the Course Indicator whilst in flight stays firmly fixed on North regardless of what CRS the flight plan commands or what "direct TO" command has been programmed. (all of this during flight testing).

I am going to try the AR 9600 Baud format again today, however when I tried it previously, I could not get any of the magenta text or CDI to display on the HSI.

Dave

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You still need the RS-232 connected with a null modem between the EFIS and EMS if you want to see the EFIS on the EMS. You also need the DSAB wires connected if you want to see the EMS on the EFIS.

WestCoastOz

Regarding previous problems with D100 HSI Course Indicator, today I changed the setup in the Skymap IIIC to output 'AR 9600 Baud' format and everything now works perfectly.  As discussed before, it won't work on the "NMEA0183" or the "Avionics Format" which are the other choices.

Thanks all for your input.

Regards

Dave

joelhaynes

Folks,
I just finished a test flight today with the new HSI firmware and my D10A connected to my Garmin 296. On the HSI page I get all of the data except Course and Altitude. Altitude shows 0000 and the course pointer is always at 360 deg no matter what flight plan is in the GPS. The CDI, track, bearing and distance to waypoints are all correct. Wind direction and cross wind data also appear accurate. Anybody out there with a successful connection to a Garmin portable have any advice.
Cheers,
Joel in Bozeman

exbo3388

I have the same problem with my lowrance 2000c . All of the data appears correct, there is a bearing pointer to the waypoint, but the cdi needle remains fixed @ 360 degrees, however the course deviation portion appears to work. I installed the firmware into a friend's aircraft - D10a/ Garmin 196 - it works great!

dalpilot

I have a FlightDEK-D180 hooked up to a Garmin 496 and my HSI heading is also stuck on 360. On the HSI page my alttitude reads 0000 and the course reads 360, everything else seems correct. The HSI is giving the correct off course indications but is not aligning with the route. I'm using the TIS IN/NMEA&VHF Out on the 496 Serial Data Format. Has anybody had sucess with a Garmin 496, if so can you tell me what I've done wrong.
Thanks,
Dick

Love my Legend Cub  :)

lykowdk

The 296/396/496 have to be set to output the APB sentence. The 296/396 may require a firmware upgrade before it is able to do this.

dalpilot

I don't know what the APB sentance is. There is nothing in the Serial Data Format page that has APB in it. I have NMEA Out, NMEA & VHF Out, VHF Out and Text Out, is it any one of these? I've gone to Garmin's web site and can find nothing about the ABS sentance.
Thanks,
Dick

Love my Legend Cub  :)

WT9

"Regarding previous problems with D100 HSI Course Indicator, today I changed the setup in the Skymap IIIC to output 'AR 9600 Baud' format and everything now works perfectly.  As discussed before, it won't work on the "NMEA0183" or the "Avionics Format" which are the other choices."

Dave...Do you made any changes on the Skymap? Because I can´t get it work together - I tried every output Method. I tried the D100 with the simple Garmin III Pilot and the standard PC-wireing - I change to NMEA on the III-Pilot and it works perfect!
So I mean the Problem is by the Skymap(Dataoutput) I tested the wireing - everything ok! Tomorrow I will test with a Notebook if Data coming out from the Skymap.

Regards, John

WestCoastOz

John

The only thing I did was to alter the GPS output format on the SkymapIIIc to 'AR 9600 Baud' and that fixed the problem immediately.....next time I am out at the airport I will check the setup to ensure nothing else was changed and let you know.
As I mentioned previously, I have it wired in accordance with the Dynon Installation Manual for the D100 & D120 combination  i.e  GPS output from Skymap Pin 2 (Data Out -Tx Data) via the white/black wire to Pin 19 on the EMS D-37 and then the data is sent via the DSAB to the D100.    Is that how you have it wired?

Regards

Dave

joelhaynes

Dick,
I figured out how to get my 296 to communicate with the EFIS. Go to the com port setup on the GPS and select NMEA Out. With that selected, hit the Menu button and you get an option for advanced NMEA setup. You will then have the option for Fast or Normal output. Choose Normal. This allows the unit to send a full package of NMEA sentences. If Fast is chosen, there is a limited amount of data sent which lacks the APB sentence.
Good luck
Joel :cool:

joelhaynes

Dick,
If you still have trouble after selecting "Normal" for the NMEA output you might check which version of firmware you have in the GPS unit. The earliest interations of the firmware did not include the APB sentence in the output. Downloading new firmware updates and installing them in the Garmin units is quite straight forward.
Good luck
Joel

Simn_Smith

Just to confirm that my Skmap IIIc appears to work okay with my D180 on the bench. Wired thru pin 19 on the EMS -37