Screen failure + Transponder failure...

Sportsman7064

All,
As I started up for a short fuel run today, the co-pilot side screen never worked properly (at all). All I see is a screen full of vertical colored lines. See photo. While a little distracted by this situation, I flew to a nearby airport for fuel using my primary screen (plus I have analog back-ups and it was severe clear). During the flight I notice that the transponder is also dead. After a shut-down to get fuel, I was hoping to see the right side screen pop back to life, but nope; still dead. After RTB, I went into set-up and then to Transponder Set-up. In status it shows Not Found. I'll be digging into the wiring to see if something pulled a wire out or something. There were no published warnings either.

One other anomoly - no voice alerts. I don't get much during a flight, but I engaged autopilot to snap a photo of the screen and when I pressed the disconnect I didn't get any alert "Autopilot Disconnect"... and no warning as I shut-down about Oil Pressure.

During the flight I could see nearby traffic on the Skyview...

Running 15.4.7.5568 on both Classic Skyview screens
Replaced failed ADSB-IN module back in Dec to a -472 (S/N 13670)
Transponder was installed in 2017 (a -261 unit S/N 4944)

What might be causing all these simultaneous failures??

Thanks!

Russ

Attachments

• Right screen fail.jpg
    Right screen fail.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 241

RV8JD

Ah ... the "Rainbow Screen of Death"! You will have to contact support and send it in for repair. Happened to others and me also. See this thread:

Sportsman7064

Ah ... the "Rainbow Screen of Death"! You will have to contact support and send it in for repair. Happened to others and me also. See this thread:

RV8JD, thanks for the thread. Do you think the RSOD situation might be the cause of the other issues (transponder and voice alerts)?

RV8JD

RV8JD, thanks for the thread. Do you think the RSOD situation might be the cause of the other issues (transponder and voice alerts)?

You're welcome. Not sure if the other issues are related, but it's possible since Dynon replaced a few components in my SV-D1000T when the RSOD happened to me. Since I have only one display, I never actually flew with the RSOD, so I don't know if it affected other components. Dynon support may be able to answer that.

DBRV10

From memory, and I may be wrong, but this is related to a SSHDD problem. New HDD and it is fine. Unless I am confused. In any case just that screen is affected.

Raymo

I love aviation!
My right screen has done this a few times but holding the #1 button and rebooting has so far gotten it to boot properly. I also get transponder fail when the right screen fails to boot. Not sure why, since it is hooked to both screens. Sounds like I should prepare for a repair. Would be great if we could trade our SV1000T screens in for an HDX upgrade. I'm also about 6 months past the 3 year warranty period. Left screen was sent back last year and repaired under warranty.

Last edited:

GeorgesGolf

flying RV 14
All,
As I started up for a short fuel run today, the co-pilot side screen never worked properly (at all). All I see is a screen full of vertical colored lines. See photo. While a little distracted by this situation, I flew to a nearby airport for fuel using my primary screen (plus I have analog back-ups and it was severe clear). During the flight I notice that the transponder is also dead. After a shut-down to get fuel, I was hoping to see the right side screen pop back to life, but nope; still dead. After RTB, I went into set-up and then to Transponder Set-up. In status it shows Not Found. I'll be digging into the wiring to see if something pulled a wire out or something. There were no published warnings either.

One other anomoly - no voice alerts. I don't get much during a flight, but I engaged autopilot to snap a photo of the screen and when I pressed the disconnect I didn't get any alert "Autopilot Disconnect"... and no warning as I shut-down about Oil Pressure.

During the flight I could see nearby traffic on the Skyview...

Running 15.4.7.5568 on both Classic Skyview screens
Replaced failed ADSB-IN module back in Dec to a -472 (S/N 13670)
Transponder was installed in 2017 (a -261 unit S/N 4944)

What might be causing all these simultaneous failures??

Thanks!

Russ
I had also a failure on my right screen and the transponder was no longer displayed on the other screen.
But when I shut off power on the right screen the transponder was again displayed and working.
Georges

Raymo

I love aviation!
Mine went on the fritz again last Saturday. I didn't think it was going to come online this time but it did a few minutes after engine start. Multiple reboots with the 1+2+5 buttons didn't work. Connectors were tight, so that wasn't an issue. I was not able to power it off with the #1 button, either. Pulled screen today to ship back for repair. Hopefully, they'll cover it under warranty.

DBRV10

Just humour me for a minute and try this........

1. First of all, do you have any SAN disk mini USB keys connected? If so remove them. Test again.

2. Do you have REVERSION MODE turned on? If so, turn it off on both screens while powered up by themselves.

It may be a flakey SSHDD causing the problem, but worth trying the above.

Raymo

I love aviation!
No USB in the dongle. Reversion mode is on but the primary screen is fine. Secondary screen, when this happens, doesn't allow any changes since it won't boot. Agree, it is likely a SSD issue. I have the screen pulled and boxed, awaiting the RMA.

Sportsman7064

@DBRV10 I had no USB connections other than the Dynon WiFi dongle in the back of each screen. Same condition on Reversion as Ray.

My screen went off to WA last week and should be on its way back today.

clcarter144

The WindDancer, RV7 - N212S
I will have to add my SV-D700 to the RSOD club. I purchased new in 2016. It has worked flawlessly since install. About 3 weeks ago I booted in the hanger to update the DB from USB mem. stick and got the RSOD. However, like several others on the forum here it appears to warm up and then manages to boot. Dynon currently has it for repair as of this post. My unit has about 200 hrs on it. I fly about 50 hrs/year. Not too good considering the number of exact or similar issues posted on the forum here. I would think there may be others that have not posted. This hints at a manufacturing defect with SSD storage or color LCD or both perhaps. Dynon would have to confirm.

Raymo

I love aviation!
My repair invoice did not state what the root cause of the problem was or what was done to repair it. Would be nice to know...

DBRV10

Many years ago, there were some flakey SSHD drives and it was random as to which ones would play up. Overall not many but like all things, you will eventually hear about them. nobody ever starts a thread about how perfectly their HDD's are running. Well...my three are. But that will have cursed me now :)

kellym

I love flying!
Thanks, Ray. My "Classic" screens are well past warranty...:(
Last I knew, when I had one of my classic 10" screens repaired it was $250 flat rate. As for your transponder, do a Network configuration and ensure the network sees the transponder. Your seeing traffic isn't dependent on the transponder, necessarily, since you have dual frequency in. But if you get a flightaware track your transponder is working.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Last I knew, when I had one of my classic 10" screens repaired it was $250 flat rate. As for your transponder, do a Network configuration and ensure the network sees the transponder. Your seeing traffic isn't dependent on the transponder, necessarily, since you have dual frequency in. But if you get a flightaware track your transponder is working.
When one screen does the RSOD, you will get transponder fail. Many have reported the same, as did I. If the screen eventually boots up, the transponder failure goes away (as soon as it starts to boot). Otherwise, you have to try to keep it from booting at all.

Current SV screen repair flat rate is $450, noted on the support website.

airguy

When one screen does the RSOD, you will get transponder fail. Many have reported the same, as did I. If the screen eventually boots up, the transponder failure goes away (as soon as it starts to boot). Otherwise, you have to try to keep it from booting at all.

Current SV screen repair flat rate is $450, noted on the support website.
What's happening here is that the transponder DB9 is plugged into the dead/dying screen, and it won't pass data through the unit to the good screen in that state. If the DB9 terminated on the good screen this wouldn't happen. Or if it terminated on a multi-DB9 terminal bus, then the good screen could still see it that way as well.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Both screens in my RV-7A are tied to the transponder via serial connections. Something about the RSOD screen seems to inhibit serial communication. As I said, it works fine if the bad screen can be shutdown and you'll see the error go away if/when the screen reboots and before it goes back to the RSOD.