Skyview 17.4 bug?

As do I.

As I do not.

But in any case, while there are some workarounds for the obvious bug in Dynon's software that's now been there for years and is a large issue and COULD be a safety issue, what does any of what you wrote have to do with that bug, which is what's being discussed?

Also, @ve0kog 's question is a valid one - while I really like my HDX system, they are NOT fixing bugs or adding features that have been suggested and they ARE falling further behind Garmin. They do not have an official bug reporting system for customers, nor an outward facing bug list indicating what they're working on and when they expect a resolution. For safety critical equipment, this is not acceptable, even though the idea to do this was suggested to them MANY years ago. I quite understand not having outward facing enhancement lists, but not indicating when bugs will be fixed, and which bugs they're going to ignore, is unacceptable.

I have not updated from 17.1 for the reasons indicated here and above. I do not trust 17.4 or 17.6 to be acceptable for IFR usage.

After two weeks of troubleshooting problems related to adding the new remote audio panel and unable to get support to squash bugs or be transparent about what all audio panel features are missing in 17.6. I wrote the follow and sent it to the Dynon President

Dear Mr. Thurow,





I am writing as a Dynon customer and experimental aircraft owner regarding my experience with Dynon’s recently released remote audio panel and its implementation in SkyView software version 17.6.



I have been a supporter of the Dynon ecosystem and currently operate a SkyView HDX-equipped aircraft. I was therefore interested in the new remote audio panel and expected its integration with SkyView HDX to reflect the level of maturity I have come to expect from Dynon.



Unfortunately, my experience has raised some significant concerns.



The remote audio panel was released and promoted as an integrated Dynon product, yet the support provided for it in SkyView 17.6 appears incomplete. In particular, I have experienced problems with Bluetooth functionality. More concerning than the problem itself has been my interaction with Dynon technical support. I contacted support seeking assistance with the Bluetooth failure, but the response did not provide a meaningful explanation, solution, or clear indication of when the issue would be addressed other than to kick the can down the road to firmware 17.7.



I understand that new products occasionally have bugs and that software development continues after hardware is released. That by itself is not what concerns me. What concerns me is releasing a product when important functionality is not fully implemented in the supporting firmware, without clearly communicating those limitations to customers.



This becomes particularly important in light of Dynon’s announcement that it intends to introduce an IFR navigator in the coming years.



An audio panel is important equipment, but an IFR navigator represents an entirely different level of operational dependency. Pilots will be relying on that equipment for instrument approaches and IFR navigation. The software implementation, testing, documentation, product integration, and technical support surrounding such a product must be exceptionally mature from the beginning.



My experience with the remote audio panel and version 17.6 therefore makes me question how Dynon intends to approach the release and long-term support of its IFR navigator.



I believe Dynon would benefit from addressing several questions with its customers:




  • Why was the remote audio panel released before SkyView software provided complete support for its advertised capabilities?
  • What functionality remains incomplete in version 17.6, and when is full implementation expected?
  • What is Dynon doing to resolve the Bluetooth problems customers are experiencing?
  • Why was technical support unable to provide a meaningful explanation or path toward resolution?
  • Most importantly, what lessons from this product introduction will Dynon apply to the development and release of its future IFR navigator?


I am not writing simply to complain about a Bluetooth problem. I am writing because confidence in an integrated avionics system depends on more than the hardware. It depends on software maturity, transparent communication, and knowledgeable technical support when problems occur.



For those of us who have invested substantially in the Dynon ecosystem, the upcoming IFR navigator has the potential to be an important product. A fully integrated Dynon IFR solution would be very attractive. However, customers need confidence that new avionics—particularly equipment intended for IFR navigation—will not be released with significant functionality still awaiting future software development.



I would appreciate hearing your perspective on the remote audio panel rollout, the incomplete implementation in version 17.6, and what Dynon is doing to ensure that future products are introduced with the level of software maturity and customer support that safety-critical avionics deserve.



I hope you will view this letter in the spirit in which it is intended: as feedback from a Dynon customer who wants to remain confident in the company and its future products.



Sincerely,



Greg Saulsbury

Builder/Owner, N761GS

Van’s RV-9A
 
After two weeks of troubleshooting problems related to adding the new remote audio panel and unable to get support to squash bugs or be transparent about what all audio panel features are missing in 17.6. I wrote the follow and sent it to the Dynon President...
That's a great letter - thanks for writing it. Let's hope it gets a positive (and not smoke blowing up the you-know-where) response.
 
Following as I am interested in the remote audio panel
Basic functions of the remote audio panel do function. Ability to switch between two comms, monitor two comms, split comms work via screen control. Intercom works. Where the system fails, Bluetooth pairs with an iPhone but nothing is heard over pilot/co-pilot headset, no phone call and no bt music. No ability to choose between the two bt receivers in the PMA450 based audio panel. Spacial audio (10 o’clock-comm1, 2 o’clock-comm2) doesn’t work and most importantly there is no way to control it on screen. Confirmed these two items with PS Engeneering tech support.

As a functional audio panel for switching comm radio, it does function. With this product announced at S&F (April) and firmware released in August, I expected this to be more fully fleshed out based on what is advertised, built in to the audio panel hardware and supported.

This half a$’d roll out is what concerns me about trusting an Dynon IFR navigator roll-out next year. I really don’t relish the thought of a $50k move to Axis as a Winter project.
 
This half a$’d roll out is what concerns me about trusting an Dynon IFR navigator roll-out next year. I really don’t relish the thought of a $50k move to Axis as a Winter project.
Man, you said it all right there. I have an Avidyne 4440 in my panel for IFR work and I just don't see changing that.
 
This problem also appears in the latest release for Skyview Classic, v 16.7.8. I have some screenshots, but the next wpt is blank when navigating off the GTN, despite the flight plan being loaded correctly from the GTN into Skyview. Switching to a skyview flight plan (uploaded from Foreflight) fixes the problem. Unfortunately I didn't grab a large diagnostic file to provide Dynon, and I doubt the normal logs are helpful. I don't believe this problem was present in 16.7.6 or 16.7.4
 
Man, you said it all right there. I have an Avidyne 4440 in my panel for IFR work and I just don't see changing that.

Seconded. The IFD540 in my panel will go nowhere; Dynon hasn't demonstrated anything close to a reason to consider to otherwise. And that's aside from the fact their IFR navigator is really nothing more than a marketing video and some in-house prototypes at this point - several months after they announced it.
 
That's a great letter - thanks for writing it. Let's hope it gets a positive (and not smoke blowing up the you-know-where) response.
Pretty much an AI looking response to my letter.

Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to write. This is exactly the kind of feedback I want to hear directly, and I don't take it lightly given your history with the Dynon ecosystem.

I understand that David Readout has been working with you on the Bluetooth issue, and I want you to know I've asked him to make sure it's resolved properly. The fix is in 17.7.0, which is in testing now and close to release. I know he'd get you a beta build directly so you can help confirm it before general release. If able, it woudl be helpful to have your support testing the beta.

On the broader point: you're right to hold us to a higher bar, and IFR flight requires a high level of trust. I hear the concern about releasing hardware ahead of complete software support and unclear communication about what's missing It's a fair critique of how we handled this rollout. Our experimental/homebuilt customers tend to want capability sooner, and we lean into that, but that only works if we're clear about what's still incomplete when we ship, and we weren't clear enough here. The IFR navigator is a different case - It will be a certified product at release, which means a different, more rigorous process from the start. We'll be applying what we're learning from this rollout as we plan it.

I appreciate you writing to me.

Brad
 
Back
Top