Skyview WiFi intermittent no communication.

Stewart

Got the new WiFi dongle, we can now connect and upload flight plans to Skyview from Skydemon instantly and a perfectly stable connection across a range of Android devices. Haven't been able to check the stability in flight yet as we normally have Skydemon connected to Sky Echo traffic. So far so good.

Stewart

What software version are you running?
Yes ver.16.5. Tried that first when it was released, but strangely it would only connect with slightly older Android. Newer Samsung for instance no go. The new dongle is the fix, to get the flight plan across at least.

Ccandrews

I love flying!
Has 16.5.2 fixed wifi problems?
With 16.4 on classic, About 10% of startups, Wifi appears to be connected but cannot transfer e.g., flight plans w/foreflight. One time just waiting it out worked. Cycling ipad wifi hardly ever resolves problem, sometimes restarting dynon resolves, but usually it requires a restart of foreflight.

Stewart

To clarify, 16.5.2 plus the new WiFi dongle fixed our connection problem. However,we don't use normally use this connection in flight, only to upload flight plan. At some stage we'll get around to testing it in flight.

d3mac123

I have the latest software update on my HDX 11 (older model). Flying with my iPad for the first time today, the wifi connection dropped around 15min after take-off. My wifi adapter is the older one. Is this issue fixed? Do I need the new adapter?

Stewart

A friend has the older HDX11 and has never had a problem with the WiFi. I fitted the newer one last year to a RV9 and the WiFi was useless. So with the latest firmware and the new dongle, as mentioned above, it works for what is needed for now.
The new dongle may be the fix if your problem continues.

RV8JD

Interesting. Yesterday I flew my first two flights with the new v16.5.2 software running on my SV Touch with the older Wi-Fi dongle. The Wi-Fi dropped off and reconnected many more times than it did with previous versions of the software. It was useable before, but not now. I was disappointed since I expected better performance with v16.5.2 since the change log states:

"Improved: Wi-Fi stability and performance."

Rhino

I can't help but be curious if the changes they made in 16.5.2 might be a problem for the older wifi protocols in the original dongles. A new dongle might help, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it.

d3mac123

It sucks having to spend money again with things you have already purchased. Worse than that is spending the money not being sure the new adapter will fix the issue... :(

Rhino

Especially when you don't know if it will fix your problem.

EDIT: Oops. You already said that.

Ccandrews

I love flying!
installed 16.5.2 yesterday. ( have Skyview classic, old wifi adapters.)
First flight today skyview wifi disconnected 3 minutes after takeoff.
Second flight it lasted 7 minutes before disconnecting.
However, each time it disconnected it would eventually reconnect on its own, which is an improvement I guess.

RV8JD

In post #48 above I stated my experience with the older software and the older Wi-Fi adapter (not perfect, but usable), and my experience with the latest v16.5.2 SW and the old Wi-Fi adapter (which was unusable).

So I sprung for the new $40 Wi-Fi adapter (with the antenna) which ends up costing just shy of $50 in WA state. The Wi-Fi performance is still bad, and mostly unusable. Disappointing, to say the least.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I have been happy with the WiFi since 16.5.2. I have used it about 10+ flights including two people with Foreflight running and my IFD-540 connected to skyview. I had one time it did not connect. The fix was to stop wifi on the tablet and re-enable it. That fixed the connection. Other than this tablet issuet it has worked perfectly.

Kurt

RV8JD

Kurt,

Which SkyView do you have: Classic, Touch, or HDX, and what size? I have the 10" Touch.

Thx.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I have the HDX 10 inch. I recently upgraded from the classic touch to HDX. I had issues with the WiFi on the classic, but they got much worse when I upgraded to HDX. Especially when you have 2 tablets connected to Skyview. But version 16.5.2 fixed all the issues I had with the HDX.

RV8JD

Thanks. I now wonder if the folks with the older hardware (Classic and Touch) will continue to have Wi-Fi issues then, and the folks with HDX's will be fine.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I have the HDX 10 inch. I recently upgraded from the classic touch to HDX. I had issues with the WiFi on the classic, but they got much worse when I upgraded to HDX. Especially when you have 2 tablets connected to Skyview. But version 16.5.2 fixed all the issues I had with the HDX.
Today I had on two occasions Foreflight reported “Skyview has disconnected “. I had two tablets connected to my single screen HDX system. The error self cleared in a few seconds. So, I think 16.5.2 still not 100%, at least if you have two tablets running Foreflight.

kurt

Pilotkms

I love flying!
I did the upgrade to HDX 10” & 7“ A few months ago. Have Latest software. Iphone service is TMobile. Been having the frequent disconnects and inability to transfer flite plans from Foreflight on Iphone to panel. :mad:
Friend suggested shutting off CELLULAR DATA in Iphone. Have 3 flights now and happily uploaded flite plans AND NO disconnects for ADS-B or Skyview WiFi. Cell service may fight with Dynon WiFi - dont know. But this worked for me. :cool: It might for u. Try it.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Flew today with 2 tablets running Foreflight. Skyview version 16.6.0 running on 4th gen HDX. Had several WIFI lost communication notices on Foreflight. so, problem is still out there when you have two iPads connected. Alarm was a nuisance, no impact to operation. Just tap the pop up to clear on Forefligh.

Kurt