SV-BAT-320 charging and ACM-ECB

YYC650

I'm looking for information on how the SV-BAT-320 charges when it is connected to the Advanced ACM-ECB. I had the main ship battery run down while the aircraft was sitting for a month, and at the same time a warning that the backup battery was low. I charged the main battery at 2 amps for several hours, but was then reading in the Dynon Skyview System Installation Guide section 9 that the EFIS needs to be on to charge the backup battery. I have one HDX-1100. I have the Advanced ACM so the wiring is from the battery to the ACM. I then set the charger to the main ship battery to 10 amps and turned on the EFIS and left that for a couple hours. I notice that the circuit light on the ACM was off, unless I also turned on the avionics. But with the avionics switch on, the BKUP BATT CHRG shows 0.0 A. So I'm wondering if it charged the day before when the main battery was charging at 2 amps but the EFIS was off, due to the presence of the ACM - as opposed to the commentary in the Skyview System Installation Guide. I would appreciate any insights into how this system is working.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 162

skysailor

The Dynon backup battery will only charge when the display is on and voltage supplied to the display is above the threshold. The Dynon display controls the charging. No current flows to the backup battery with the display off. If you can get a VFR day, the backup battery will charge during flight with a normal electrical system in fairly short order. The lowest mine get is after the annual backup battery test and even from that low level will completely charge in about 30 minutes.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
According to the Pilot’s User Guide page 3-11, the Skyview Display will only charge the Backup battery when the Dynon display is on and the Bus voltage is 12.25 Volt or higher. This will normally happen during flight. If ground recharging of the backup battery is desired, this can in most cases be done when the main airplane battery is being charged and the Dynon Skyview display is turned on (all other avionics can remain powered down). I don't known whether this is and option in a setup with the Advanced ACM.

YYC650

According to the Pilot’s User Guide page 3-11, the Skyview Display will only charge the Backup battery when the Dynon display is on and the Bus voltage is 12.25 Volt or higher. This will normally happen during flight. If ground recharging of the backup battery is desired, this can in most cases be done when the main airplane battery is being charged and the Dynon Skyview display is turned on (all other avionics can remain powered down). I don't known whether this is and option in a setup with the Advanced ACM.
That is the case if the backup battery is connected directly to the Dynon display via the D37 harness. But since my installation uses the Dynon Advanced Control Module (ACM), the backup battery isn't directly connected to the display - both the EFIS and the Backup battery connect to the ACM. So I'm wondering if the backup battery will charge as whenever the supplied voltage to the ACM is high enough, even if the display is off?

Attachments

• ACM.JPG
    ACM.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 126

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
I don't think so, the display is actively controlling the charging, so even if the wires rtun through the ACM, it still means that the battery is directly connected to the Dynon display through the 37 pin connector, even if the cable runs through the ACS box. This is the reason why the Dynon display needs to be powered in order to charge the backup batteries

NinerBikes

I love flying!
I have a Dynon SV-BAT-320 less than a year old, that doesn't seem to want to recharge. It passed the inspection in my RV-12 in November 2020 with flying colors, well over an hour. Since replacing my SV Classic with a SV Touch... something has drained it and an hour with the SV-1000 turned on and a 10 amp PSU at 14.4V to my main battery has not shown improvement or increase in the Voltage. I'm sort of of the opinion that the BCM circuit may have failed, internally.

Thoughts?

Raymo

I love aviation!
I have a Dynon SV-BAT-320 less than a year old, that doesn't seem to want to recharge. It passed the inspection in my RV-12 in November 2020 with flying colors, well over an hour. Since replacing my SV Classic with a SV Touch... something has drained it and an hour with the SV-1000 turned on and a 10 amp PSU at 14.4V to my main battery has not shown improvement or increase in the Voltage. I'm sort of of the opinion that the BCM circuit may have failed, internally.

Thoughts?
If you go into the battery state page in setup, does it show "Charging" ?

NinerBikes

I love flying!
I have not found a "Battery State" page in setup on my DV-1000T Touch unit on my Van's RV-12, despite looking for it. Dynon Tech has indicated to me that it is one of those behind the scenes things that happens automatically when you turn on your DV-1000T with more than 12.7V on the supply side. My voltage regulator is usually at 13.9 to 14.V showing when in flight with a Rotax 912 ULS charging system with Ducati VR.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Look on page 9-5 of the System Installation Guide version AH: Detailed battery status check. You get to the battery backup status: Enter the Display Hardware Information Page, you get to the setup menu by pressing both the Button 7 and 8 for 2-3 seconds. Then (SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > BATTERY BACKUP (SV-BAT-320) STATUS to check the status of the battery.

andresmith76

I love flying!
Not sure about the DV-1000T but on the HDX, go to the Setup Menu > Local Display Setup > Battery Backup (SV-BAT-320) Status. See attached picture.

Attachments

• 14-Local Display Setup-Battery Backup Status.png
    14-Local Display Setup-Battery Backup Status.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 180