The New SkyView - Featuring SkyView Touch

GalinHdz

Can we download these upgrades for existing Skyview systems or are they just for the new units? If yes, when can we download the software?

:cool:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Software Features

As usual, software updates are completely free. SkyView 10 software is expected to be available for download late March 2014.

All non-touch features are part of the free software update for all SkyView systems.

GalinHdz

As usual, software updates are completely free. SkyView 10 software is expected to be available for download late March 2014.

All non-touch features are part of the free software update for all SkyView systems.

YAAAAAYYYY. More reasons why I LOVE my Skyview.

GalinHdz

Will we be able to add the Knob Control Panel to an existing legacy Skyview systems?

SV-KNOB_PANEL_Front_ISO-480.png

flybuddy

If we trade in a non touch skyview, it's advertised as a simple swap out BUT, do we have to reprogram the new unit or will we be able to save and move over our screen prefs, EMS stuff and add on modules?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Will we be able to add the Knob Control Panel to an existing legacy Skyview systems?

The Knob and AP modules work with existing SkyView units. Just plug them in and do a network config.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If we trade in a non touch skyview, it's advertised as a simple swap out BUT, do we have to reprogram the new unit or will we be able to save and move over our screen prefs, EMS stuff and add on modules?

The expected process is that you mail us your current screen, we upgrade it to a touch screen, and you get back a screen that drops right in with all your settings. We will likely not be able to send you a touch screen before you send us back your non-touch screen, partially because we do want to make sure all your settings, databases, etc, are copied over.

purlee

I love flying!
Fantastic! You guys make it so hard to decide to buy something else! :)

Couple of questions, Let's assume that the co-pilots side is also setup with a 10 inch Skyview and the aircraft is often flown by the co-pilot, will the system accept a knob controller and auto-pilot controller on each display, if it is not practical to locate them within easy reach of both pilots.

I note that the A/P Controller has no 180 degree turn button, I assume that this function is still part of the A/P and still controlled from the screen and a discrete button located if and where the pilot wants it

One more point, I guess the AP controller is back-lit, is there any indication on the controller as to which modes are engaged, for instance, if I select HDG/ALT, do these buttons light up in some way so I can see what is selected, or is this still visible only on the screen.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can have (2) Knob control panels and (2) AP control panels in a plane. Doesn't matter how many screens you have.

The AP control panel is based on SkyView's expert autopilot interface. This interface doesn't have a 180 function like the simplified mode does, so the AP panel also doesn't have that function. Since we added the LEVEL function a year or so ago, we've preferred that over the 180 function. Get the airplane under control, and then allow the pilot to choose where to go.

The AP controller is backlit, but does not indicate status. You must look at the SkyView screen. It is a vastly superior indication of the autopilot's mode, and it is also daylight visible unlike most small LED indicators which would need to be on the control panel if we had done them.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not quite sure I understand this. Does this mean the TRIM UP/TRIM DOWN adjustment requests will be automatically handled by the autopilot? Or can I have a trim control on each stick now without needing a relay deck?

And I'm looking forward to the IFR GPS flight plan and HSI auto switching - will also help to lessen the load in IFR.
I have a GNS480 interfaced via ARINC429 module -- is this a tested/supported configuration?

Bob,
Sorry we missed you earlier in the day.

The trim controller in the AP control panel replaces relay decks in your plane and allows two trim control inputs (generally on your sticks) to control your trim. It takes low current inputs from switches and controls the high current trim motor. It also handles safety issues like a stuck button and priority of the pilot over co-pilot.

On top of this, it can also slow down your trim as you go faster. Great for airplanes with a large speed envelope like an RV where you need your trim to move fast at 70 knots but slow at 180 knots so that it isn't "touchy" at speed.

The AP controller will not automatically adjust your trim for you when the AP is engaged. Yet. But that's a pretty obvious enhancement we would like to make in the future.

We expect that the GNS480 will work for the flight plan sharing and CDI switching, but it has not yet been tested as far as I know.

markdille

I love flying!
When you say the trim function on the Autopilot module can handle elevator AND aileron, will that module be a different revision, one in which the Nose Up and Down buttons are split into four smaller buttons to accommodate the Left/Right functions? Great job, by the way. Very nice additions and upgrades.

cbennet12

Very exciting stuff! And the best part is that those of us with the existing version of Skyview continue to get major new features with a FREE software update.

There are very few companies out there in ANY business that continue to add this level of value to existing customers without demanding more $.

Keep it up!

:)

Craig

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When you say the trim function on the Autopilot module can handle elevator AND aileron, will that module be a different revision, one in which the Nose Up and Down buttons are split into four smaller buttons to accommodate the Left/Right functions? 

Mark,
The NOSE UP/DOWN buttons are autopilot commands, that have nothing to do with trim. You use these when you are in VS or IAS mode. If you are climbing towards an altitude and want to climb faster, you press NOSE UP and it increases the VS target by 100 FPM.

The trim controller has no exposed buttons on the AP panel. You have to wire in switches to your stick or panel for trim UP/DOWN and/or LEFT/RIGHT.

All AP modules support two trim axes. If you only want to use one, just wire one up.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon

Thank you very much for all improvements. It's great !
Question : Is it possible to make the exchange with new Skyview touch at Aero Friedrieschafen in April ? It should be easier for european owners to bring their Skyview there rather than to send it.

Sylvain

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sylvian,
It will not be possible for us to upgrade a unit to touch at Aero.

lolachampcar

First, OMG!  Like Tesla, no one is ever going to catch up.  Do you gals and guys ever sleep :) ?

Will Dynon offer an exchange for those of us that do not want to be down while the touchscreen is added?  It would be nice to get this on order now.  I've got my custom settings files including sensor definitions saved so I have no issue with a hardware swap out.

On a more technical note, I've not looked at my display close enough to determine if it uses cover glass.  I know AR coatings and such are a very exact science if you are going to get both high brightness and low glare out of a display and Skyview does an excellent job with both.  Does the cap touchscreen decrease transmisivity, increase glare or otherwise cause any degradation in the quality of the current most excellent display? I assume we will have to deal with fingerprints like any other quality touchscreen. Have you implemented a "screen cleaning" mode to disable touch input while we wipe it down or is it a display off only action?

Lastly, are you using gorilla glass?

Thanks for all the work and the absolute knock it out of the ballpark upgrade/update.